Visconti Inks Test

NickiStew

nick_stewart_visconti.jpg

Visconti is an Italian company manufacturer of fine fountain pens, ballpoint pens, rollerball pens and other luxury products – timepieces and accessories. The company was founded in 1988 in Florence by Dante Del Vecchio and Luigi Poli, collectors of fountain pens for many years. These appear to be a typical standard range of colours for their writing products – except for the Burgundy that behaves differently. Nothing new here for creative purposes.

Black – A deep matt black that doesn’t bleed that easily when added to water with a steady gradation of grey leaching into the outer edges wash areas. Reacts easily with the bleach turning a dull gold. A dark rich black ink when used for writing.

Blue – A rich royal blue ink that doesn’t bleed easily when added to water. Reacts with the bleach turning white. Nice deep sheen. An even royal blue when used for writing.

Turquoise – A fairly flat turquoise that. Reacts with the bleach turning neon white. Writes well with plenty of shading characteristics in evidence.

Green – A deep emerald green ink that bleeds easily when added to water with hints of cyan when leaching into the wash areas. Nice deep sheen. Reacts easily with the bleach turning white gold. A dark rich green when used for writing.

Purple – A mid tone purple that bleeds easily when added to water. Reacts with the bleach turning a white gold. Nice deep sheen. An even colour when used for writing.

Sepia – A deep reddy brown ink that bleeds easily when added to water with hints of grey at the outer edges. Nice deep sheen. Reacts easily with the bleach turning neon gold. A dark rich sepia when used for writing.

Burgundy – An awkward and uneven red colour that doesn’t bleed easily when added to water. A limited reaction with bleach that bleeds unevenly. The red is inconsistent when used for handwriting and bleeds when used on the swatch. A deep burgundy colour when used for writing.

To view the swatches click here: https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com/2016/10/25/visconti-inks-test/

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• Zut Alors

• Newjelan

• zaddick

Nice comparison of all 7. V Blue is one of my favorite 5 blues (I think) so that's what V is all about (for me). As re awkward, it's not only the Burgundy but all bottles. They may be praised for their looks but they are just not practical for filling and/or even dipping inks. The old glass bottles and the old carton boxes were superb but their plastic successors (inclusive of their veils) are repulsive.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

+1 for loathing the plastic bottles. Worst corporate decision ever made and killed my use of their ink. I refuse to deal with the aggravation. Worse yet, the fancy Visconti inkwells aren't user-friendly for decanting. I can't tell how many I received with LEs that lost the metal caps the first or second time I tried to actually use them. :gaah: :crybaby: :wallbash:

I had just placed an order containing the brown/sepia color when I opened this topic. This was my 3rd color in this line. I am retired & laid back, so have time to deal with the bottles.

I use the blue one. There is a little trick....fpn_1477410182__img_20161025_173442_comp

That's what I do, and how Visconti intended the cover to be used. The bottle is perfectly stable used like that.

Verba volant, scripta manent

That's what I do, and how Visconti intended the cover to be used. The bottle is perfectly stable used like that.

That is such a good idea. The old glass Visconti bottles had a seperate base to make the bottle more stable.

I havent used the new stuff in plastic containers but are you perhaps supposed to make use of the lid on the packaging in which to stand the bottle?

I use the blue one. There is a little trick....fpn_1477410182__img_20161025_173442_comp

Yup, I do that too. No hassles, Works fine. Love Visconti Blue.

• 4 weeks later...

There's always got to be some idiot who's different ...

I use little tiny dobs of Blue-tak (in this case, green) to attach the bottle to the well in the base. Then, little dobs to attach the top to the base. It's strong enough for me to pick it all up by the top without dropping, and easy enough to remove.

t also looks like it should look like.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

That's what I do too but yet feel that it's a half baked design overall :/ shame the bottle in itself is appealing had it been more stable

• 1 month later...

In case any Visconti execs are reading this I wish to protest against the new plastic bottles. In the wake of that decision any marketing will be hard pressed to showcase Visconti as a prestige brand.

Killing off the classic glass bottle has also killed any temptation for me to buy Visocnti inks in the future.

Truly appreciate your comparison of the inks!

Yup! I like the Visconti inks also. However, I refuse to attempt to use the ill designed PLASTIC bottles.

I ended up purchasing empty GLASS bottles from Goulet's ( no affiliation ) & pouring the Visconti inks into the sturdier bottles then re-labeling. Better than buying expensive ink wells that many times fall apart after a few uses.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Stunning as always. I'm actually considering getting a bottle of Visconti Blue (despite the the ridiculous bottle design that's begging to be knocked off the table).

I think the original idea from Visconti was to always have it in it's plastic case when filling your pen. It's the same with the glass bottles - they should be used while still inside the lower half of their boxes. :)

In case any Visconti execs are reading this I wish to protest against the new plastic bottles. In the wake of that decision any marketing will be hard pressed to showcase Visconti as a prestige brand.

Killing off the classic glass bottle has also killed any temptation for me to buy Visocnti inks in the future.

I totally agree.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Nicki, these are beautiful. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

By new you mean like 5+ years ago? That ship sailed long ago.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Well, some of still think that the height of civilisation was the late '60s -- Beatles, Cream, Paisley Flares, Parker 51, Parker 75, Parker Quink Permanent Blue-Black that didn't turn teal. The list goes ever on...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 2 months later...

In Australia there was old stock glass available more recently than 5 years ago.

In Australia there was old stock glass available more recently than 5 years ago.

Ok, but they stoped making new ink in glass bottles a long while ago.

I am not disagreeing with your protest, just that the bottles changed many years ago so the timing of your comment was what I was reacting to.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!