Parker 51 Red Band, Without The Red

Ceelo

Hoping you all could help me with the latest chapter of my Parker 51 collecting / insanity.

I've picked up what was advertised as a 'red band' button fill Parker 51, though just one problem, the band is distinctly lacking a red colour :unsure:. I am aware via the Shepherd 51 book that the red band moved from a plastic to an aluminum band somewhere in the models short life cycle, but it doesn't really give an insight as to what could explain this lack of colour. Strange, as the blind cap seems to be the right size for the button filler and is definitely shorter than a vac blind cap.

Not being an expert on this topic, I thought I would throw this one out to the learned folk here at FPN as to what might explain this. A repair job? Franken pen? Normal?

post-113744-0-27260700-1477384340_thumb.jpg

post-113744-0-28174100-1477384465_thumb.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• Ceelo

• mitto

• PenBuyer1796

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you own this pen?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sure do.

Sure do.

Interesting. The pictures are from ebay auction 112162043166 and I know both the seller and buyer.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hoping you all could help me with the latest chapter of my Parker 51 collecting / insanity.

I've picked up what was advertised as a 'red band' button fill Parker 51, though just one problem, the band is distinctly lacking a red colour :unsure:. I am aware via the Shepherd 51 book that the red band moved from a plastic to an aluminum band somewhere in the models short life cycle, but it doesn't really give an insight as to what could explain this lack of colour. Strange, as the blind cap seems to be the right size for the button filler and is definitely shorter than a vac blind cap.

Not being an expert on this topic, I thought I would throw this one out to the learned folk here at FPN as to what might explain this. A repair job? Franken pen? Normal?

That's bizarre, purchased from the same seller.

That's bizarre, purchased from the same seller.

Same auction or another auction?

Different, what's with all the questions?

I found it odd that you posted pictures to an auction that I was familiar with and the pen was described fairly accurately in the listing.

I guess the seller used the same pictures for more than one auction and had more than one pen. Odd that is all.

Fair enough. So is the description accurate then with respect to the aluminium being initially produced in red and then changing? I've never seen that mentioned anywhere else hence my questions.

Fair enough. So is the description accurate then with respect to the aluminium being initially produced in red and then changing? I've never seen that mentioned anywhere else hence my questions.

It is one theory, I'm sure there are others. I'd want to examine the pen or see better pictures before saying more.

Interesting. Will post some more photos once it is in my hands to assist.

If it is a redband don't try to disassemble it, they were fused together at the connector and most attempts to open them result in a broken pen. The sacs in them are typically hard as a rock and any attempt to operate the filler can bend the internal mechanism.

Do post pictures when you get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so this lovely 51 is finally in my hands. Some quick iPhone pics attached. The seller mentioned they purchased from one of those ex employee auctions that has been posted on. There were two of these pens in that collection.

post-113744-0-81299300-1478683860_thumb.jpg

post-113744-0-93892300-1478683927_thumb.jpg

post-113744-0-83342100-1478683954_thumb.jpg

post-113744-0-59204000-1478683985_thumb.jpg

post-113744-0-59736300-1478684010_thumb.jpg

post-113744-0-77271300-1478684027_thumb.jpg

Has the pan got an imprint? And if yes, is the datecode 1946?

I wonder if there was a red band 51 in other than black color?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

No discernible imprints at all from what I can see.

Has the pan got an imprint? And if yes, is the datecode 1946?

I wonder if there was a red band 51 in other than black color?

They had either plastic or metal threads, and most were red and some were a darker maroon. My first thought on this pen was "Parker 51 Vac with a VS filler and odd blindcap threads." I'm interested in hearing what some of the 51 collectors have to say. There is another 51 similar to this with the VS filler on page 40 of the 51 book...

There also needs to be a vent hole near the blindcap for it to be a proper red band.

Edited by PenBuyer1796

They had either plastic or metal threads, and most were red and some were a darker maroon. My first thought on this pen was "Parker 51 Vac with a VS filler and odd blindcap threads." I'm interested in hearing what some of the 51 collectors have to say. There is another 51 similar to this with the VS filler on page 40 of the 51 book...

There also needs to be a vent hole near the blindcap for it to be a proper red band.

By color I meant the color of the body of the pen and not the color of the threads of the 'band'/filler unit.

Khan M. Ilyas