Looking For A Recommendation For A Pen With Su, Music, Or Some Other Kind Of Nib

Behike54

When I write I print and sometimes write in cursive.

All my pens are just blah. The nibs are too small to really show off my growing ink collection and it's frustrating.

I am looking for a pen that is going to make my printing and inks look more dynamic than a plan medium or broad nib, unless the <B> is stubby of course.

I am looking for something around a $100 via one of the Japanese vendors that we all know and love.

I will use this pen daily, mainly for correspondence, but some journaling. Trust me, the smaller my writing gets the more freaky and illegible it becomes.

Much appreciated!

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parnesh

• Behike54

• ink-syringe

• rutherfordr

Top Posters In This Topic

Pilot 912 SU. Good daily user with a large ink capacity. Keep in mind however the SU nib is probably more like cursive italic than stub in terms of the cut of the nib although line variation is more like stub.

Except that you aren't going to find a 912 for $100, which is the stated budget.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

The Platinum music nib is one of my favorites. In terms of line variation, it is closer to a stub than an italic.

16401687037_7122886e7b_o.jpg

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

the best nib for showing loads of variation , providing you master the skill, is the calligraphy specific Fude nib , aka up-tuned nib , Pilot's version is their WA, IMHO not really much of a calligraphy nib but suite the more common usage of non-calligrapher. Sailor had their with the Naginata line. I do not think either of them come within the budget though

Within that budget, I think the Platinum music nib would be most suitable. I like mine very well.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Many thanks to the suggestions so far, much appreciated!

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Hi,

While not a Japanese pen, the Sheaffer Targa comes with such nibs.

While I hesitate to plump a specific Vendor, the esteemed Mr Zorn has' Sheaffer 1001 Stainless Targa - the funky nib edition' on offer (Pen2292) : http://mainstreetpens.com/pensales.htm

Targas have a metal body which gives them some heft, and the durability to endure rough handling.

Even though I write with a rather expansive hand, I find that shaped nibs in the 0.7mm range are great,but nibs over 1.0mm are a bit of a challenge for me to keep running on their sweet spot.

If I were to pick a wide Japanese nib from my array, it would be the two-tine Sailor MS, rather than the three-tine MS Pilot or Platinum nibs which require me to use a slower more deliberate hand. All of those nibs were used in some of my Ink Reviews, so atrocious written samples may be found. However, it appears that those breach your cost constraint. :(

EDIT to add: To keep within your cost constraint, kindly consider a pen with a steel Italic/Stub nib. e.g. Parker Sonnet. Also, Mr Pen has many nib options for their array of Italix pens at fair prices. http://www.mrpen.co.uk/index.html

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Except that you aren't going to find a 912 for $100, which is the stated budget.

I bought mine for USD$126 from memory. I consider that to be around $100.

I bought mine for USD$126 from memory. I consider that to be around $100.

Then you sumgai-ed it.

I don't see anywhere where they are regularly sold for that price.

If you do let me know. I'll buy a 3rd one. I bought 2. Both from Japan (one actually in Japan) neither were close to that price.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Then you sumgai-ed it.

I don't see anywhere where they are regularly sold for that price.

If you do let me know. I'll buy a 3rd one. I bought 2. Both from Japan (one actually in Japan) neither were close to that price.

Ok, I see that prices have gone up in the last 12-18 months. I bought a SFM and SU about 18 months ago and they were around 125-135 (I think the SFM was more expensive). They are 140-150 at j-subculture now.

On the JPN website it's $135, on the GLOBAL site it's $158.

Nice.....

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I worry the 3776 is too small given what I have read despite the nib being highly lauded.