• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• ehemem

• dogpoet

• LokiLaufeyson

The metal is certainly distinctive: and it doesn't seem to separate at the section. It may really be a pump filler.

I'll see if Mr. Krinke would like to play with it.

I've come across a couple of these over the years. One was a "flat top" like the one pictured here, and the other had a cigar shape. Both were marked, "Jumbo Pen Japan", had gold plated steel nibs, black plastic barrels and caps, and were plunger fillers. On mine the section could be unthreaded from the barrel, giving access to the large rubber seal. I never attempted to have either restored. I recall reading or being told that they were considered novelty pens, sold after WWII. Please let us know if you get it restored to working condition.

I've come across a couple of these over the years. One was a "flat top" like the one pictured here, and the other had a cigar shape. Both were marked, "Jumbo Pen Japan", had gold plated steel nibs, black plastic barrels and caps, and were plunger fillers. On mine the section could be unthreaded from the barrel, giving access to the large rubber seal. I never attempted to have either restored. I recall reading or being told that they were considered novelty pens, sold after WWII. Please let us know if you get it restored to working condition.

Japanese eyedropper, not plunger filler. And not all of this style of pen were made out of plastic. Some were ebonite and some were urushi coated.

I just found one at a local flea market. It has the cigar shape and seems to be ebonite. The only markings are "Jumbo Pen, made in Japan". The nib, however, is a Signature 6, 14K, made in the USA. It has to be a replacement.

My guess is that it was a piston filler, but I'll use it as an eyedropper.

This thing is REALLY fat!

A lot of fun for 5 bucks!!

I have one. It's a class of pens called a Jumbo pen, made in Japan after WWII for elderly people with arthritis.

(I am struck by how non-ergonomic the section looks, for a pen that was designed for people with arthritis: compare that to the moulded, sculpted and sometimes fleshily soft sections you get in a lot of pens for that market now.)

According to David Nishimura, who has done some admirable detective work on the subject, the notion that these pens were marketed for sufferers of arthritis is a myth that began on these very forums. ;) A link to his entry debunking the myth:

http://vintagepensblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/mythbusting-japanese-jumbo-pens-and.html

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

The section doesn't separate, so I think it really is a pump.

The section doesn't separate or you haven't been able to unscrew it? Two different conditions. It is a Japanese eyedropper...

I just found one at a local flea market. It has the cigar shape and seems to be ebonite. The only markings are "Jumbo Pen, made in Japan". The nib, however, is a Signature 6, 14K, made in the USA. It has to be a replacement.

My guess is that it was a piston filler, but I'll use it as an eyedropper.

This thing is REALLY fat!

A lot of fun for 5 bucks!!

Your guess is wrong. It always has been a Japanese eyedropper.

The section doesn't have threads, but I'm sure that Mr. Krinke will be able to supply the necessary information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sidthecat,

It's an eyedropper - featuring an integrated ink shut-of valve - not a pump filler, there is no build-in filling mechanism.

Francis

Hi Francis

Found you again... I saw your post in the German fountain pen forum... Sorry, my memory is not the best, any more.

I agree with your comment... you are the expert on this topic: shut of valve

Let's stay in contact

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design