Parker Duofold Maxima Question

coinlvr

Hello Community Members,

One of my library colleagues surprised me today by gifting me his late father's Parker Maxima Duofold (UK) with a wonderful no. 50 nib. I dip tested it and it worked fine. Then I dipped it in a bottle of Waterman Serenity Blue and it fills well. However it does not write at all. It writes when it is dipped in an ink bottle for a while then again it stops writing. Can you please advise me about how can I overcome this problem. When I squeeze the aerometric filler, the ink drops come out with ease. I want to write my review of this unexpected generous gift but your advise is needed before I proceed. I never have had any UK Parkers except the ones that I am waiting for in a mail to arrive. Your help and advice are really needed.

post-116177-0-70988900-1477343348_thumb.jpg

post-116177-0-18033700-1477343356_thumb.jpg

post-116177-0-06146600-1477343372_thumb.jpg

post-116177-0-11167400-1477343418_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coinlvr

• ac12

• mitto

• usk15

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most likely it has dried ink, use ammonia 10% and water 90% to clean the feed, sac and breathe tube. Leave it for a day or two and clean with water after all. It should work after,

PS: I would love to have a Parker Duofold Maxima.

Edited by usk15

Looking at your photos, I can see spacing between the tines which isn't so much of an issue itself, but wonder if the spacing extends right through the tip of the nib impeding the capillary action.

Hello, I see that there is a gap between the feed and nib. The gap is about 1.5 millimeters. I hope this might do the trick. Now the question to the FPNers is where I can find a replacement feed for Parker Maxima. Any ideas? I will try the soaking method also. Please advise.

Before you tear your hair out looking for a new feed, ask a repairer if the nib and feed can be re-set. It's a great pen. I hope you get it working.

1.5mm between the nib and feed is definitely a problem.

You don't have a side and head on pix.

There is also the chance that the nib is damaged/cracked, and heat setting the feed won't help that.

Why don't you come to a SF Pen Posse, and have one of the techies take a look at your pen.

We meet in Milbrae, check the clubs section for the next meet, which happens to be on Oct 30, 1pm, @ Peter's Caffe.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

AC12, thank you so much. I will try and come as I have to commute from Berkeley. I will take BART. Please do let me know if the club is meeting this Saturday. I will keep checking. Many thanks. I will take side picture tomorrow.

Edited by Penlvr

Here are the side pictures. Please advise. Thank you so much AC12 and Pen Posse of SF.post-116177-0-62718600-1477367652_thumb.jpgpost-116177-0-45748900-1477367683_thumb.jpgpost-116177-0-54455900-1477367734_thumb.jpg

There seems nothing wrong with the nib in these pictures. It looks perfect. The feed looks good too. The gap between the nib and feed looks to be the problem. However, the problem could be cured by heat setting the feed.

I would advise you take on the offer of ac12.

Gongrats on finding this beautiful pen.

Edited to post a picture of my Maxima and say there should be no gap between the nib and feed like this:

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

AC12, thank you so much. I will try and come as I have to commute from Berkeley. I will take BART. Please do let me know if the club is meeting this Saturday. I will keep checking. Many thanks. I will take side picture tomorrow.

Yup

Posse is meeting on Sunday.

www.SFPenShow.com

Excellent advice from Mitto, I would say that the gap between the nib and feed is wrong and preventing the capillary action to the tip of the nib.

The Duofold Maxima is a valuable and most excellent pen, I suggest some professional assistance if this is your first pen repair, I have sent a PM with details of an appropriate person.

The Duofold Maxima is a valuable and most excellent pen, I suggest some professional assistance if this is your first pen repair, I have sent a PM with details of an appropriate person.

^^ That.

These #50 car hoods can bend up and separate from the feed easily. Those nibs are very large indeed and gorgeous. I have seen it first hand but usually takes an experienced person to sort it out, knowing just how to bend it back. The Maxima is a HELL of a great workhorse pen, and and ergonomic champ with a big ink capacity. Well worth a small fee to get fixed. I have one Senior and one Maxima both mentally stored in my DON'T EVER SELL THESE lockbox. Great great pens. Mine, I am sure will outlive me.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I agree especially the sentimental value this Maxima has. I had never held this pen until yesterday. My friend was too generous with her gift. This one came straight from England. I hope to send it to someone who has a lots of experience dealing with such beautiful work of art. I plan to use it everyday as my favorite pen in my library work. Thank for kind words and advice from our fellow fountain pen lovers,

I agree especially the sentimental value this Maxima has. I had never held this pen until yesterday. My friend was too generous with her gift. This one came straight from England. I hope to send it to someone who has a lots of experience dealing with such beautiful work of art. I plan to use it everyday as my favorite pen in my library work. Thank for kind words and advice from our fellow fountain pen lovers,

I would KEEP that pen AT HOME.

IMHO it is too valuable to take into the office.

Speaking from someone who had a valuable/sentimental pen stolen at the office.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 weeks later...

My maxima is finally fixed. Courtesy of Mr. Fudge. He worked beautifully and the pen just arrived after some wait. It was worth the wait. God bless you Mr. Fudge. Thank you beechwood for your excellent advice.

Edited by Penlvr

My maxima is finally fixed. Courtesy of Mr. Fudge. He worked beautifully and the pen just arrived after some wait. It was worth the wait. God bless you Mr. Fudge. Thank you beechwood for your excellent advice.

Happy for you, penlvr. Enjoy your Maxima to the hilt. Lol.

Khan M. Ilyas