The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How Do You Restore A Faded Esterbrook Caption?

esterbrook caption restore

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 20:42

I don't have many Esterbrooks, but I noticed that two of them have their "Esterbrook ® Made in U.S.A." caption completely faded. It is engraved in the pen body, so is still legible, but whatever paint was in it, is long gone. This hasn't really bothered me, but now I have another one (in better condition), and the same caption is painted white on it.

So the question is, how can I restore this white caption? Is it even worth to bother with it?

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 21:45

You can try rubbing over the engraved words with a white wax crayon, not a pencil crayon and then just buff away the excess.  Probably not something you'd want to do with a very early pen, but the plastic in an Estie should stand up to it I would think.  If you don't like the look, you can get rid of the white with a soft brush and a bit of patience.

#3 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 22:37

I don't believe Esterbrook ever had white imprints, other than the advertising logos for people like AT&T.  The actual Esterbrook imprint was simply stamped into the barrel.  I've used a white crayon effectively to fill in worn AT&T imprints.

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,508 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 00:21

The Esterbrook imprint was never highlighted with color as GW states.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 15:06

That's interesting. I have an Esterbrook T (transitional J, I believe) which has a white imprint. How could that be? I'll try to take a picture of it.

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 15:19

That's interesting. I have an Esterbrook T (transitional J, I believe) which has a white imprint. How could that be? I'll try to take a picture of it.

My guess is that someone added it at some point.  

#7 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:46

Sorry, I've just realized I forgot to respond to this thread. Here are some photos on the web site of the pen dealer that I bought my Esterbrooks from:

http://toltotoll.art...eria/esterbrook

http://toltotoll.art...sterbrook-j-kek

You can see that the "Esterbrook ® Made in U.S.A." caption is in white.

All 3 of my Esties came with such a white caption, which fades every time I clean or wash them.

#8 cattar

cattar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:35

Like farmboy and gw wrote, the white isn't original. People modify pens in all sorts of ways.

#9 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:40

Ok, thanks for clearning that up!

#10 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 15:14

Many sellers will highlight an imprint with white so that the condition of the imprint can be seen when they take a picture before posting the pen for sale.

If they're thinking, they use a Caran d'Ache water soluble crayon.  White wax works, but it will take naptha or mineral spirits to remove it.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#11 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 19:47

One thing I've also noticed on imprints - I believe the pressure used to make them wasn't always consistent.  I have seen some deep, bold imprints and some very light ones.  The light ones, in many cases, are perfectly intact, and don't look worn away.  They just look very light.  It may be that some of those photos you just posted had the imprint filled in simply to be able to read it better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, caption, restore

Sponsored Content

|