Onoto 25 Information Please.

PaulS

I can't see any information easily available for this Onoto model, although it does have a very similar appearance to the K series of Twist Piston fillers, the K1, K2 and K4 - discussed in the Onoto booklet from Crook, Hull, Marshall & Oldfield - which were introduced in the mid 1950s, and of which it was said....."good quality pens but the filling system was not designed to be serviced.

I've tried twisting the back end but presumably something wrong as it doesn't take up any ink.

If the 25 follows the same construction as the K series, then the section should apparently unscrew, but despite give this one the hair dryer treatment then some hefty torque, I can't get the thing to come apart - it's not an expensively made pen and has the look of one more in the long line of P51 wanabees. It has a lustraloy type cap, and although the nib is gold coloured it may not be the real deal, but it writes reasonably smoothly.

Does anyone have any information to pass on please - will the section come apart?, and I'm assuming made in the 1960s, probably. thanks:)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• richardandtracy

• Beechwood

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one I've never seen before.

Unlikely to be a De La Rue incarnation of Onoto in the 1960's, as they ceased trading in '56 (I think). However, I agree, it looks like a 1960's shape, and given the conservatism of DLR's Onoto design ethos, I doubt they would have come up with a 1960's shape in the 1950's. A mystery. I know some Onotos were made in the 1960's to the 3000 shape in Australia. I wonder if they also flirted with making their own design pen.

Regards,

Richard

Like Richard I dont know the 25, I have owned a K2 and just restored a K3 and to my knowledge only the K3 is meant to be taken apart, this thread may assist.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/247069-onoto-k-series-piston-removal/

It looks like the 25 is development of the K2.

The K3 comes apart very nicely with a threaded section and a piston that is removeable for greasing. A good looking pen which should have been a commercial success.

thanks very much for your thoughts - and agree it's a tad confusing - I've added a picture of the barrel imprint just so you can see how it's marked, and incidentally, my pen does have the ink view window, which I forgot to mention - it's just that it contains dried ink in mine making the window appear opaque.

In view of the hooded nib, it's not in theory going to be related to the K3 which had the open nib but was minus the ink view window, and of the other three, the K1, K2 and K4, said booklet does comment that the shells can be unscrewed to reveal the section and tubular nib. The only real physical difference between mine and those shown is the design of cap jewel and tassie, but I'd agree with Richard that this is unlikely to be a genuine example from that factory, and probably is a cheaper version but using the same name - those prices shown on the TDLR ad. were expensive for 1955, and this doesn't look to be quite in the same class.

I'd not realized the date of the factory demise, so appreciate the information - thanks.

I'm fairly new to pens, so will try and refrain from rushing in and butchering the thing, and will wait a while and see if I become any the wiser which might stop me from breaking the thing - might try the hair dryer again just to see if the shell or section shift. But it's a curio if nothing else, and might even get used one day if I can master the mechanics.

Edited by PaulS

Onotos were made under licence in Australia from parts imported from Onoto in the early 50s then in local factories under licence through to the early 60s These were not "cheapies" but legitimate pens from original parts or later manufactured to licence. Some of these pens will be marked in various ways as made in Australia (my 21 is marked "Onoto Pens Australia" // "No 21"), some will not.

After the early 60s they were made in Japan for a while, it seems, but I know not on what terms.

British manufacture ceased at the beginning of 1958.

I rather suspect yours is an Australian-produced pen but I have no more information on which to demonstrate that.

X

thanks , and appreciate the extra information - you may well be correct about the origins of my '25', but think it will have to remain a 'possibility' for the time being until we can come up with something more positive. Never ceases to irritate and annoy when we find pends that lack such an obvious piece of info.