Carene Nib Rework - Fine Point

Left FPN

This was a Fine point nib before the owner dropped it and attempted a repair. Such repairs cannot be carried out in situ.

After removal from the section and about 2 hours tweaking, abrading and polishing its better than it was.

You also get to see the original tine slit was very slightly off centre.

The nib sits atop the feed thus,

Here's a medium nib, viewed through my microscope, I had to teak the tine slit back together. You can see it has been overcut.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• mr2txaggie

• ian1964

Force,

Once again a marvelous job! I wish I had your talent!

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Force, that is really impressive. How did you straighten the nib though?

I bought a L'etalon off ebay some months back with damaged nib. Not quite as a bad as that one though. You have inspired me to try and repair it when I get home next month. Thank you.

Fastidious work. I doff my hat. Again Force is the master craftsman. All those great Carene repaints, and now a beautiful nib reconstruction.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Force,

Once again a marvelous job! I wish I had your talent!

thanks

Force, that is really impressive. How did you straighten the nib though?

I bought a L'etalon off ebay some months back with damaged nib. Not quite as a bad as that one though. You have inspired me to try and repair it when I get home next month. Thank you.

There is nothing lost in trying. I use small flat/smooth faced pliers and tweezers. The gold is fairly hard and can be tweaked with a little Force. Even being careful it does mark so I finish with 1200 grit and then Autosol paste. Some will almost return to their original form but others are so well bent you would never be able to get them 100%. I suppose the proof of the pud will be in the inking. Unfortunately the grip for this pen was broken so I must wait for another damaged Fine section to appear to attach this nib to.

Force, you have by now done several Carène nibs. You know the basic shape they should have. Would it be an option to make a sort of form from very hard wood , put the nib on it as a sort of anvil and then gently hammer the nib into shape, after gently heating it?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Force, you have by now done several Carène nibs. You know the basic shape they should have. Would it be an option to make a sort of form from very hard wood , put the nib on it as a sort of anvil and then gently hammer the nib into shape, after gently heating it?

D.ick

The problem is that most nibs have been twisted as well as bent so one must use pliers and tweezers to get them back to somewhere near their original shape. Once there over bending has to be done to make the nib retain the 'close to original' position. I think though the anvil sounds good it would be impossible. When the nibs were originally formed they would have been without tipping and the tine slit so we have both of these items in the way as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested to see the way Waterman neatly hid the poinçon for gold in the little rebate that fits into the feed. I'd wondered where it was!

On this nib it's P over W. I have tried to determine the meaning but I think it's Parker over Waterman. It is the manufacturers mark and not a hallmark or poincon.

The most common stamp I find is WAT upon S.A. WAT obviously for Waterman and S.A. for societe anonyme. It's the equivalent PLC, Public Limited Company, in the UK. The line between the two marks is infact a pen when maginified x10.

Here are the 4 Waterman makers marks that I am aware of,