Omas 360 Burkina Celuloid

visvamitra

Founded in 1925 in Bologna OMAS was an Italian manufacturer of luxury goods. Their fountain pens weren’t cheap but they had strong following in the community. Sadly it wasn’t enough. In january 2015 company was put in liquidation.

pobrane.jpg?w=940

OMAS stands for Officina Meccanica Armando Simoni. The company was founded by Armando Simoni, who also designed the tools and equipment needed to manufacture the OMAS line of pens.

Throughout the years OMAS manufactured a variety of pens, the top line being the faceted Arte Italiana range, as well as a variety of limited edition pens. In their history, they introduced a number of interesting designs such as the “Doctor’s pen” which had a tiny built-in clinical thermometer or the double-nibbed Itala in the 1920s and the 361 model in the late 1940s whose nib could be used as a hard writer if handled in one position and as a flexible writer in another.

In 2000, the French company LVMH acquired OMAS from the heirs of Armando Simoni. In October 2007 the Xinyu Hengdeli Group of Hong Kong purchased 90% equity stake in OMAS. Xinyu had a strategic partnership with LVMH and planned to use OMAS for its expansion of luxury goods in the Asian market. The company continued to be unprofitable and in 2011 it was sold to another Chinese company, O-Luxe. O-Luxe decided to close Omas in November 2015 and the company entered voluntary liquidation in January 2016 ceasing all trading.

My experience with Omas is limited. Two years ago I went bonkers and bought orange Omas Ogiva Alba – the most expensive pen in my collection. While the pen disappointed me a little – I expected it would emanate high quality but it doesn’t – the smoothness of its medium nib still amazes me. It glides across the paper. Pure poetry. And the reason I still have the pen. During last two years I bought two other Omas pens – vintage Extra and Emotica. While none of them is perfectly engineered, they all write like a dream.

I always wanted to try one of Omas celluloid pens but as they were in the upper price range I hesitated. Celuloid looks stunning, but it’s not most durable material. And even though I try to take care for my pens and not abuse them too much, I tend to forget I have them with me. Accidents happen. One example is my first Eversharp Skyline – I’ve broken it on the first day. I simply forgot I had it in my backpack, and while coming back from work I leaned against the doors in a train and heard CRACK. It’s as simple as that. Therefore reason dictates that I choose either durable or cheap pens.Unhappily I enjoy iralian style too much to resist the urge.

omas360_9.jpg?w=940

When vodnikvolsovecek proposed to borrow me some of his more interesting (and expensive pens) and I discovered that Omas 360 in burkina celuloid would be one of them I was impatient to try it.First because I find Burkina celuloid striking, second because I was always interested in trying Omas 360.

omas360_12.jpg?w=940

omas360_7.jpg?w=940

omas360_6.jpg?w=940

Launched in 1996 Omas 360 was the company’s last major design innovation – it’s a fountain pen with a triangular body to maximize grip and writing comfort. Some people may find the shape odd – actually I was one of them. While looking at the pictures I couldn’t help but to ask myself how one is supposed to hold this pen to make writing comfortable. Is it possible at all to find a comfortable grip on such a bizarre section?

It turns out the answer is YES. Actually it’s one of most comfortable sections I’ve ever tried. And the pen fits in my hand very well.

Omas 360 is huge but very light. It feels well balanced when capped and when uncapped. The cap on this pen is snap-on. While I prefer screw caps, this one holds enough tension to post the pen securly. Also, given the shape of the pen, I don’t think Omas had a lot of choice. If you tend to post the cap, maybe you would do well to abandon this strange habit while using Omas 360. Posting is possible and balance will be there. On the other hand the pen will become huge, also I’m afraid that with time too much pressure could cause some unpleasant surprise like cracking celuloid. Maybe I’m just overly dramatical but why take a risk?

Triangular section is metal. I enjoy most metal sections and I believe that even those who find them too slippery would enjoy Omas 3600 section. Due to it’s shape it remains comfortable in the hand, even when the hand tends to sweat a little. The pen sits well in the hand but if you hold it in a way that causes the triangular section to dig into you fingers, this shape won’t work for you.

Burkina celuloid looks sensational. Olive and gold tones swirl together and are separated by solid and dotted streaks of black. In person and on a sunny day the effect is AMAZING.

Construction

omas360_14.jpg?w=940

omas360_13.jpg?w=940

omas360_1.jpg?w=940

omas360_2.jpg?w=940

Omas 360 is a solid, well made pen. As it’s made of celuloid, it’s rather light. Sure metal elemets add some weight to it.

I can imagine that engineering triangular pen was undoubtedly challenging. I think Omas managed to do it in a satisfying way. On the other hand this pen, like most Omas pens, won’t give you highest quality feel you get from playing with Montblanc or Conid. When the cap is posted it feels a little loose and can be moved to some extent in all directions. Also the fit of the elements isn’t really perfect. Sure, everything works fine but if you’ve ever used Lamy 2000 or Pilot CH 92 in which the fit of the elements is simply perfect, Omas 360 may feel awkward in the hand. It just doesn’t feel so well built.

There’s also the clip – it’s functional and eye catching. As it curves upwards it’s easy to slip the pen into any pocket.

Nib

omas360_4.jpg?w=940

omas360_3.jpg?w=940

nibs.jpg?w=940

Writing sample (L’Artisan Pastellier Olivastre on Fantastic Paper)

olivastre_fp.jpg?w=940

olivastre_fp_2.jpg?w=940

The guy who invented a process of creating and tuning nibs for Omas was genius. This nib is simply stellar. In terms of pen-to-paper performacce it offers everything I look for – great looks paired with smoothness and wetness.

I believe thar rich flow is possible because Omas used ebonite feeds instead of typical injection mold plastic feeds. Ebonite feeds aren’t mass produced like the plastic feeds because ebonite requires different technique to machine them into feeds.

The nib and feed combo gives juicy feel that I enjoy and look for in fountain pens.

Filling System

omas360_10.jpg?w=940

omas360_5.jpg?w=940

Piston-filler. The piston operates smoothly and it holds enough ink for a typical day in the office. Or maybe even two.

Dimensions

Capped – 150 mm

Weight – 32 g

Summary

omas360_9.jpg?w=940

I don’t want to give back this pen. It’s stunning. The nib is perfect. Metal section sits well in the hand and is very comfortable. Burkina celuloid looks amazing. Now I wish I had a chance to try one of Omas 360 when they were still produced and easily (but expensively) available. Sure – the pen can still be bought but the price range (500 – 1000 $) is crazy high. While this pen is marvelous it’s definitely not worth this amount of money. For this price you’ll easily get few very good pens. I know this, I’ve analyzed everything. Sadly it changes nothing. I already know that I’ll keep on looking for good deals on this one. That’s how infatuation works. You just can’t help it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Tas

• mehandiratta

• FrozenLand

Burkina is the nicest celluloid of Omas, for me.

congratulation for the pen.

I'M still hungry with myself, as I did not bought one Burkina last year in Roma, when NovellI showed me the last one available.

After that I've been searching for it, but prices were too high for my budget.

Great pen.

Really nice review of a beautiful pen. Great photos, too.

I never really got along with the shape of the 360, but couldn't resist a Paragon in the Burkina celluloid. This is an 80th Anniversary piece as the special nib shows.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BACF7E7F9-C058-47B4-A2D1-1DD49EC209FF%7D/origpict/Bu1.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B412C9DBB-331D-4A6E-AED9-9CEFB562B39E%7D/origpict/Bu2.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BF0235709-E5AE-421D-A794-260DB815F095%7D/origpict/Bu3.JPG

Thank you for a wonderful review of a pen I met here, a review from member, "upscalebohemian," posted August 17, 2009. The celluloid was the most interesting thing I had ever seen, the 360 design was surely intriguing, but it was no longer available a few years ago. I did finally get my nerve up to inquire @ Novelli & posted the price of $794, in 2014, for reference. I did not want to spend almost $800 for a pen whose design was so unique, "sight unseen, nor HELD;" & finally bought a used 360 in black, which came with a medium nib for a LOT less $, found the pen to be perfectly fine for my hand & later bought another used one in yellow "cotton resin," with a preferred Broad nib. Both pens were still quite a bit less than the Burkina price.

I was happy when Omas offered the Ogivia in Burkina as a limited/special release the next year & ordered mine from Novelli to come with a stub nib. I will always love the FIRST pen I saw in this finish, but after having the Ogivia in same, find it is a preferable pen for me. It is the same length as my 360s, & has the same material for the section, instead of the sterling section & cost a bit less than the 360. I have never regretted the decision to wait, try the 360 first & end up with the Burkina finish in another pen. It has remained inked since arrival & is the only pen I have with that distinction. Others are filled, stored & taken out for refilling, BUT never this pen, it sits "front & center" in a cup holding inked pens, in it's clear plastic square holder, from a Visconti, nib exchange. It gives me pleasure to see it daily & is used almost as often with equal joy.

Perhaps you will find your 360 in Burkina, but do not pass up the chance to take advantage of another Omas pen in Burkina, if it becomes available for purchase. (I loved the Arco finish but had to decide BETWEEN the two because I could not justify having BOTH; I remain happy my "grail pen" was this Burkina. I will always admire the Arco finish, but I have never been sorry I made my choice for the Burkina.)

I am happy you were able to enjoy the loan of this pen, it is a remarkable example of the generosity I see among many members here. You certainly have reviewed this pen in a way that honors it & the Omas Legacy. Thank you.

@Barkingping - thank you :) Actually since I saw Burkina I was pretty sure that's the ultimate pen finish :) I expected to hunt Paragon in Burkina (or was it Bologna?) but after trying 360 I just know I need one of those in my collection :)

Thank you for the wonderful review. I'd love to find a 360 in Burkina, which is one of my favorite celluloids of all times. As it stands, I have two Omas Burkinas: a Bologna and the aforementioned Ogiva. I had the Bologna reground into a F stub and the Ogiva into a "true" (as opposed to European :) ) EF. A 360 would be a welcome addition!

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Just checked eBay and this same model is listed at $1150. I think it's been listed a while but there's no make an offer option.

Just checked eBay and this same model is listed at $1150. I think it's been listed a while but there's no make an offer option.

Ha, I checked too :blush:

Really nice review of a beautiful pen. Great photos, too.

I never really got along with the shape of the 360, but couldn't resist a Paragon in the Burkina celluloid. This is an 80th Anniversary piece as the special nib shows.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BACF7E7F9-C058-47B4-A2D1-1DD49EC209FF%7D/origpict/Bu1.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B412C9DBB-331D-4A6E-AED9-9CEFB562B39E%7D/origpict/Bu2.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BF0235709-E5AE-421D-A794-260DB815F095%7D/origpict/Bu3.JPG

Oof. You see, that annoys me. I have your pen's brother (or cousin: in the ruthenium finish), but a palaver with a firehose extra-flessible EF left me with a normal (non-anniversary) EF nib. Never mind. I love it dearly nonetheless...

vismaritra, thank you for a great review. The 360 is a gorgeous pen; I am rather obsessed with the Burkina, and so have a 360 in the Burkina celluloid too. A word of warning: those 360s with the metal section tend to develop leaks where it meets the celluloid. Mine did just that. Now that Omas (as we knew it) is no more, other alternative routes to repair must be found...

They are fabulous pens (when they work).

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

A few other observations from having owned one of these pens.

- The clip is cpated base metal like brass. If the coating fails the clip will corrode fairly easily. The section and trim is silver so does not have the same issue.

- If you do not find the triangular section comfortable, some owners have rotated the nib and feed in the housing by about 20 degrees (So when you look doen on the nib from the top it sppears to be tilted to the right a bit instead of aliging withthe top of the triangle) and this allows the nib to better align with the paper based on the way the pen is held. This was done for my pen and it makes it more comfortable to hold.

- The Burkina celluloid tends to hide scratches a bit better than some of the other finishes or the resin colors (based on my personal observations)

Thanks for the review. These are lovely pens and were quite expensive when new. Now that OMAS is gone they are holding value well. But hold tight and wait for a used one to appear and you might have a great opportunity to own one at a resonable price.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thank you again.

This is definitely my favourite writer, and I find Burkina celluloid simply iconic. Each time I take it with me, I get some remarks about this pen :)

It seems, that several people here planned to buy another Burkina model than they now posses, but they are now happy with their choice. The same with me - I initially planned a Paragon one, but now I'm convinced that the 360 suits me the most. Another evidence for Burkina's magic :)

A few other observations from having owned one of these pens.

- The clip is cpated base metal like brass. If the coating fails the clip will corrode fairly easily. The section and trim is silver so does not have the same issue.

Bad news, I was convinced the clip is also made of silver, like in the new Paragon, but indeed, it keeps on shining without any maintenance. Also, the cap starts to get a bit too loose.

It may be worth to have a look at my classifieds :)

I have one of these and love it. My one gripe is that the cap has a fairly poor air seal.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Thank you again.

This is definitely my favourite writer, and I find Burkina celluloid simply iconic. Each time I take it with me, I get some remarks about this pen :)

It seems, that several people here planned to buy another Burkina model than they now posses, but they are now happy with their choice. The same with me - I initially planned a Paragon one, but now I'm convinced that the 360 suits me the most. Another evidence for Burkina's magic :)

Bad news, I was convinced the clip is also made of silver, like in the new Paragon, but indeed, it keeps on shining without any maintenance. Also, the cap starts to get a bit too loose.

You are a very wise man & SO right about the "magic of Burkina;" I had lusted, drooled & fantasized about your Burkina 360, since I first saw an older review of it here. I believed that I should @ least try a more affordable, (used) 360, to see if I even enjoyed the pen's style before purchase of the Burkina 360. I first found a black one for a nominal price with a medium nib & later a preferred color, yellow with a broad nib. THEY enabled me to order the Burkina Ogiva when it was released. By the time of release, the Burkina 360 was no longer available from Novelli Pens, so I have the pleasure of the 360 in other pens & the MAGIC of the Burkina in a pen that is PERFECT for me. I was surprised to find the last Ogiva is the same length as my 360's, even though it's size is less because of the 360's shape.

I will always admire YOUR pen, but honestly believe ANY Burkina pen would make an owner happy. More evidence is YOUR pen, because of your generosity has already made both you AND Visvamitra happy! Few pens share the ability to make MULTIPLE users happy with the same pen. I sincerely hope he is able to find one for himself. Thank you for making it possible to renew the interest in such a beautiful pen.

Thank you for making it possible to renew the interest in such a beautiful pen.

Thank you for these nice words, I somehow found your 'barking' very pleasant to my ears :) I expected that from all the pens in this series, the Burkina will be the one to get a considerable attention.

Generosity may be a bit too big word, but in an advert of the one of the luxury watch makers, they claim that you don't actually own their product, you just take care of it for the next generations. I find this appealing, and suitable to the high-end fountain pens as well.

Visvamitra has a gift of putting them in the good light, in a multiple sense.

It may be worth to have a look at my classifieds :)