Pilot Metropolitans Bogo At Staples

openionated

Had to make a run up to the local Staples to get some ink cartridges for my printer, and right there in the aisle was a Pilot display full of "MR Metro Pop" AKA Metropolitan. A big sale sign at the top said buy one, get the second at 50% off! So naturally I walked out with two of them.

When I got home, my better half took a liking to the green one. She said "these are pretty, and they write smooth". Then she asked if I was going back to that store any time soon. She says she thinks we should get some more of them while they are on sale.

:bunny01:

post-18970-0-14237000-1477180141_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• openionated

• inkstainedruth

• PAKMAN

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in Florida. I check pretty regularly, and this is the first time they have had the Pilot MR pen sets at my local Staples, so it might be a seasonal thing.

Ooh, now I'm going to check the ones here in the Pittsburgh area (mostly I see Cross pens, cartridges for several different brands, and the occasional bottle of Quink Black).

Ruth Morrisson aka inktainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ooh, now I'm going to check the ones here in the Pittsburgh area (mostly I see Cross pens, cartridges for several different brands, and the occasional bottle of Quink Black).

Ruth, they have these on the same display with the Cross pens, at least here in the Cleveland area. So, you could buy a Cross and a Metro and get them at the BOGO price.

Hmmm, heading to Staples today for a printer may have to take a look!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

That's what we usually have here too Ruth, so when I saw these, I had to share.

At the Staples here, the normal price was $20, so two would be $30. I can get them for less than that on Amazon on a bad day, and for the same price on Goulet Pens any day - no sale needed. So it doesn't seem like a good deal here. If their normal price had been $15 like everyone else, I would have sprung for a couple. :(

I guess it's a matter of perspective LizEF. I agree that like most things, you can find them cheaper online. But to be able to walk into a brick and mortar store a few blocks from my home, and walk out with what I want for the online price is a nice enough deal to share.

I saw them at Staples here in S. New Jersey, on display next to the Cross pens and Sheaffer calligraphy FPs. Don't remember if they had the buy one get another one for 50% deal but I assume they did. The price was $20 per pen. I was quite surprised, as you don't see too many FPs at the big office supplies chain stores.

Dan

Well, I went to one of the Staples stores around here today. No luck. OTOH, that particular location lost about 1/3 of their space in a subdivision of the building a couple of years ago so they have less space. But I noticed that they were also marking some Cross BPs and rollerballs as being "on clearance"....

On the upside, they had *two* bottles of Quink Black in stock -- the last time I was there they only had one....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, yesterday I stopped at a different Staples. And they did have a few Metropolitans in stock (several different colors of the Retro Pop ones). But...

They all appeared to have fine nibs (I didn't like the F nib on the one I tried -- much prefer the M nib on mine). And they all were sealed up so you couldn't really look at them all that carefully. And, frankly, I'd like the Retro Pop colors better if you could get them without the decoration between the main part of the barrel and the section (the colors are fun, but the decorations are kinda annoying IMO).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

No luck at our Staples. Just Cross pens.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I went to two Staples the last time I was in Boise (last week). The first store had a display of Pilots, Cross, and some Sheaffer VFMs for $20 but not BOGO. The second store had what looked like a freshly built end display signed up big and bold with the BOGO signs so I picked up a couple for my Honey (B-day in 3 weeks and she likes the F nibs).

So this morning I pulled a little VFM out of the pen cup to be my user-of-the-day and remembered that sometimes I like it. Hmm, wonder if that store still had the BOGO going? Drove all the way to town... nope. $20. And the VFM packages I noticed had a rollerball with the FP. Nah. I'll pass. It was a nice day for a drive though :)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso