The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My Pilot Metro Is Here! (My First Pen!)

pilot metropolitan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KatTines

KatTines

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:39

Very excited to unveil my first fountain pen a Pilot Metropolitan in Gold with a fine nib with some simple photos and filters.

I'm using Noodler's X-feather and Hilroy 50lb sketch book paper.

tumblr_offx8k2yuM1vj474co1_400.jpg

tumblr_offx8k2yuM1vj474co2_1280.jpg

tumblr_offx8k2yuM1vj474co3_1280.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:48

Welcome to the hobby! Very wise choice for a first pen.

#3 KatTines

KatTines

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:11

Welcome to the hobby! Very wise choice for a first pen.

Thankyou!

#4 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 14:21

Congrats!  Nice pen.  I have the same nib but in the White Tiger pattern - love it.  It's one of my favorites to write with.  I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

PS: I just answered your question in another thread, and this is a good example - your Metro is a cartridge / converter pen - the converter that came with it is a bladder / sac filler rather than a piston, but same concept - it's meant to suck up bottled ink.  I use the converter that came with my Metro for cleaning (it's easier than turning a piston), and use CON-40 and CON-50s for inking (because I can see how much is left in them).

#5 KatTines

KatTines

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 20:11

Thank you kindly!

#6 virgilio

virgilio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:18

I tried one of these, but it writes much too dry for my taste. Maybe I got a bad exemplar. Or maybe it's designed for use with very absorbent cheap paper. Can't figure out why everybody seems to love 'em so much. Oh well. A chacun son goût.

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:24

I tried one of these, but it writes much too dry for my taste. Maybe I got a bad exemplar. Or maybe it's designed for use with very absorbent cheap paper. Can't figure out why everybody seems to love 'em so much. Oh well. A chacun son goût.

Which nib did you try?  I was lucky enough to be able to dip test Metropolitans with both a fine and a medium nib in a pen shop, and I thought the F was scratchy, so I bought the M instead, and I love it.

Very nice pen for the money, IMO.  KatTines, you could have picked a lot worse pen as a starter.  I keep thinking about getting one of the RetroPop colors, but I don't like the patterns on the area above the section for most of them.  If Pilot made those colors without the patterning, though, I would definitely buy a second one (mine is silver, and plain).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 KatTines

KatTines

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:37

Thank you, Ruth! I personally find that the fine nib is also pretty scratchy, and I wish I had gotten a medium nib myself. 
I agree that a  lot of the middle sections of the Metro retro pops aren't very attractive either, and it'll probably make choosing 

a medium for myself a little rough.

#9 EklecticMonkey

EklecticMonkey

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2016 - 13:48

I don't like the Retro Pop patterns at all, but I looove the animal line!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, metropolitan

Sponsored Content

|