The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Newbie Need Advice On Mont Blance Rollerball

mont blanc rollerball heritage blue hour

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 barefootken

barefootken

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:11

Hi all, I'm new to pen collection & in need of some advice.

Basically, I have decided more or less to get a Mont Blanc rollerball pen.

So far I have a Lamy 2000 fountain pen but due to leakage it's being sent away for servicing.

Here are my choices, which do you all think is a better choice?

1. The 'M' rollerball (pity this can't accept the fine tip rollerball refill which I prefer & the part where the finger grip portion is with those tiny square patterns not sure if writing long term will be uncomfortable for the fingers?)

2. Heritage Rouge & Noir rollerball (quite like the unique snake clip)

3. Blue Hour Classique rollerball (a bit stretch on the budget...)

And I understand if get Mont Blanc ballpoint can use third party rollerball refill e.g. monteverde is this true for all the 3 above models? But not vice versa e.g. Mont Blanc rollerball won't be able to use ballpoint refill correct?

Thanks in advance, all suggestions & comments are welcome.

Edited by barefootken, 22 October 2016 - 06:28.

Sponsored Content

#2 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 15:50

I prefer mb ballpoint pens to rollerball pens. Their ballpoint refills (particularly the broad tips) are very smooth, versatile and long-lasting.

Edited by meiers, 22 October 2016 - 15:51.

#3 NathanLow

NathanLow

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 19:10

Me too,prefer a ballpoint more than a rollerball.If I'm not wrong,the ballpoint are more practical and aboard.

I am looking forward for a Rouge & Noir ballpoint.Still,it is based on your preference.

#4 SL_BRABUS

SL_BRABUS

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 18:13

If, I were you I would go with the Rouge & Noir ballpoint.....

#5 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2016 - 18:48

I will pile on. I have several MB BPs and over 10 RBs. I much prefer the BPs. The refills last much longer. The Rouge et Noir has also caught my eye. My 2 favourite MB BPs are the Toscanini (I love the clip), and the tribute to the Montblanc (it is beautiful and has a nice weight to it)

Good luck with your choice

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#6 shparker260

shparker260

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 23:33

I vote noir. I have used it and sold the rb only because the fountain looked nicer. The noir feels heavier for some reason, and I generally like heavier pens. Personal pref, all great choices.

MBs tend hold better value than most so get what you want and if you don't like it, sell, and buy a diff model :)

#7 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2016 - 18:12

I lean towards heavier pens as they seem more substantial in my hands. Having a weighted pen somehow gives me the feeling of luxury and thus my vote would be for the Blue Hour. All this being said, I do prefer my ballpoints over my rollerball MBs.

#8 Valkyrii

Valkyrii

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 17:35

Design wise I like the looks of the Heritage Rouge & Noir rollerball of the three you selected. however the thin barrel and chrome grip are deterrents as well as the price tag. I sold an Agatha Christie I had a long time ago when I needed the cash and miss it dearly. I'm a bit in the minority in this thread though as I actually like MBs roller refill. So much that I even have 3 Prometheus Alpha pens in Nickel, Titanium and Copper that also use that refill.

I have a few ballpoints and while generally smooth, I've had a few that skip.

Just my own preference.

As for refills.

Ballpoints and rollers are not interchangeable.

Monteverde does offer substitutes for the standard MB roller or ballpoint.

The M however uses a unique refill I believe. It appears to look like a short Schmidt style capless roller however I am uncertain if they are interchangeable.

Edited by Valkyrii, 17 November 2016 - 17:45.

#9 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 22:14

The M however uses a unique refill I believe. It appears to look like a short Schmidt style capless roller however I am uncertain if they are interchangeable.

Yes they are:

fpn_1479420740__img_0902.png

#10 Nathanb

Nathanb

Meisterstück

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 23:29

I was surprised to read so many favouring the BP over RB, I'm the opposite!

I have been eyeing off the Heritage capless RB in stainless steel :)  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mont blanc, rollerball, heritage, blue hour

Sponsored Content

|