Ink Makers And Their Profits --- Going Up Or Down?

Charles Skinner

This is a question that none of us, likely, have enough inside knowledge to be able to answer, but here goes anyway. I wonder which ink makers are really going strong, profit wise? And which companies may be hanging by a thread? Can we assume that the number of different inks a maker offers has anything to do with profit to the company? Think about Sailor and Noodlers, and Diamine and the huge number of different inks they offer. Would old time makers be making more money than "start ups?" As I wrote, likely there is no way that we can answer these question, but it is interesting for me to think about. A company that is not "making money," may not be around much longer. C. S.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Skinner

• cobalt

• Mon34480

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect most ink makers do not make their profits from FP ink. As we know, many ink makers also market pens (e.g. Waterman, Parker, and so on) so are part of something bigger anyway (Herbin is owned by Lalo).

Here's the skinny on Sailor: Its Stationery division offers fountain pens, ballpoint pens, mechanical pencils, fude pens, marking pens, inks, correction fluids, gift goods supplies, speech pens, and other products. This division also manages and operates an online shop; and manufactures and sells glass CDs. The company’s Robot Equipment division engages in the production and sale of standard machines, such as automatic take-out robots for plastic injection molded products; custom-made machines; and semiconductors, such as handling robot of metal press, etc. Its Special Equipment division manufactures and sells pachinko prize dispensing machines and prize suppliers for labor-saving equipment; general prize gaming industry products; and thermal barrier coatings for window glass. The company also offers leather goods, radiation dosimeters, smart court products, and other consumables. 2015 revenue ¥6,117.0 millions.

Perhaps some profiles of the firms whose products we use would be of interest. Get a sense of whether to stock up or not....

...be like the ocean...

The range of inks offered have very little correlation to if they are "going strong" it but rather it relates to their business model.

Using your examples, sailor offers only a handful of inks which they have perfected with limited editions as well as making large batches of custom ink for famous pen shops and the alike. Noodlers spam a large range with a variety of special qualities to cover all grounds. Diamine is similar to Noodlers but focuses on having a large range of colors, they also make ink for other companies as well eg akkerman ink is apparently made by daimine.

Old time makers have established a reputation which may aid in them selling more ink but it doesnt necessarily mean they will make more money (if purely looking at ink sales) in the end it's the products and the makers themselves which will make or break profit margins.

Edited by Alteyz