Help To Verify Authenticity Of Mb144

bdchambers

Howdy!

I am very new to fountain pens, and up to this point I have been using a Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib. I can remember being fascinated with the Montblanc pen and the white peak cap on my pediatrician's pen growing up, and I finally took the plunge and purchased my first two Montblanc pens over the weekend. I purchased a 149 and a burgundy 144 on eBay and received them this afternoon, and I wanted to verify the authenticity of the 144.
From what I understand I do not have to particularly worry about the authenticity of the piston filling 149. However, since the 144 is a cartridge/converter pen it is more likely to be counterfeited.
I was hoping that some of you could help me in determining the authenticity of the 144. Can any of you help me to discern or determine the authenticity of the pen based on the following pictures:
post-132517-0-61113700-1477061579_thumb.jpg
post-132517-0-54242300-1477061588_thumb.jpg
post-132517-0-22352200-1477061597_thumb.jpg
post-132517-0-60867600-1477061614_thumb.jpg
post-132517-0-52700400-1477061623_thumb.jpg
post-132517-0-81102400-1477061637_thumb.jpg
post-132517-0-05831500-1477061652_thumb.jpg
post-132517-0-82955800-1477061662_thumb.jpg
post-132517-0-19830600-1477061674_thumb.jpg
Thank you in advance for your help. I have been reading the MB board here for the past few weeks, and it seems like this is a great community you have here!
Best Regards,
Ben

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdchambers

• PAKMAN

• jar

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

While it is impossible to verify authenticity from photos (often we can verify things that are NOT authentic) I don't see anything in your photos that screams Fake.

My Website

As JAR states, not always possible to tell a fake from pictures but your 144 looks legit to me also, all the right stuff so to speak.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

~ bdchambers:

Thank you for posting several images.

That looks like a well-crafted pen.

I like the color! Please do enjoy!

Tom K.

Looks like a nice 144 to me--hope you enjoy using it. Welcome to FPN. Whereabouts in Texas are you?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Nice.

Never seen the monotone nib and feed faked. (Yet)

Classic round medium tipping. As others have rightly said, always difficult to give a cast-iron guarantee of authenticity from photographs alone - but, from what I can see, I'd say it looks good.

Enjoy.

And Welcome to FPN

Because it is a 144R and from the feed can tell its an 'older' version, I would say genuine. Replicas have a greater tendency to be based on the newer designs.

Thank you all for you responses and help! I greatly appreciate it! I've been enjoying my 144 and 149, and I look forward to enjoying them for years to come!

jmccarty3, I actually live in Northern California now, but I grew up in Houston and College Station. I still take the chance to claim Texas as home whenever I can though!

Thank you again for all of your help!

I have a family Montblanc 144, that belonged to my aunt. I am confident of its authenticity. All I might do is compare the two pens. That would include examination under magnification. I cannot do that. Nor can I compare the two for "proportion". I can't even see if " MEISTERSTüCK " is correctly spelled. However, I do not see, in your photos, any disqualifying visual traits.

How does it write ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have a family Montblanc 144, that belonged to my aunt. I am confident of its authenticity. All I might do is compare the two pens. That would include examination under magnification. I cannot do that. Nor can I compare the two for "proportion". I can't even see if " MEISTERSTüCK " is correctly spelled. However, I do not see, in your photos, any disqualifying visual traits.

How does it write ?

It writes great! It puts out a thicker line and more ink than I expected for a medium nib, but my only point of reference was a Pilot Metropolitan that had a much finer medium nib.