Shop Counter Displays

Left FPN

I have seen the large oak counter displays and very much admired them but from a distance only. They are to big and in most cases also too expensive for me.

Recently this one appeared on the bay, which I understand is from the 1960's and I took a liking to it because of its size and price. Apparently it was found in an old sweet shop. I thought it would be a nice thing to have in my new garden penshop workshop.

It will be in transit to me today so hopefully next week I will show it lit up and in situ loaded with pens.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pen tom

• pen lady

• Greenie

Neat, Force.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It looks real nice. It looks like it is not too large. I've thought about this type of pen related items but I need a "workshop" like yours.

Nice purchase

Tom

Just right for the dark village shop,

Unbelievable though the OLD 240/25W bulb popped when I powered it up :angry:

Its now got a new candle bulb which should see it well over the next 40 years.

I also think some parts had not been assembled right and one part was bent so I have reconfigured it to how I think it would have stood.

I found a few more pens

I just LOVE it.... :) :) :)

The seller has provided me with pictures of this stands home (shop) and I am hoping they give me permission to show them in this topic.

Nice display stand, Force !

Does the light creates heat ? Isn't dangerous for the pens ?

No there is a large vent in the top which per chance illuminates the top Waterman's sign. I have a low watt bulb fitted to.

The best of displays. :cloud9:

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

When the shop closed on the Isle of Wight in 2005 the family retained certain items of which this stand was one. In fact the box it arrived to me in was old and had paper packaging dating to 1950 inside. The family had owned the shop from before WW1.

This is a picture of the shop when it closed in 2005

This is the shop during WW2.

As for the packaging, just two items from it,

Young Mrs Barrington.....ohhhhh

The NEW RGD Model 1700...£110 was a lot of money then. I think you could buy a house for a £1000.

Ah memories, memories, thanks for sharing those pictures Force. My family ran 3 Newagents stores in Brighton years ago, try to explain the concept over on this side of the Atlantic! The closest I can get is a corner convenience store but without the groceries.

I was informed it came from the 60's but with the text saying Waterman's I think it may well be 50's and still in the rubber and bakelite era. The style also leans me towards that era, perhaps late 50's. CF pens have Waterman's and Waterman engraving so I am guessing it was during the closure of the American Waterman's to its mingling with the France Waterman. have little knowledge of this era so perhaps someone can throw some light on this aspect.

Update: I was rather annoyed at popping the original bulb so I have been searching for a vintage filament 25w B15d SBC Tube bulb. I find that the B15d fitting does not appear to be a vintage size, B22 yes. The socket inside the top tube is/looks old and original. So more work to be done here.

• 3 weeks later...

I am fortunate to have this display case. The top lights up with a fluorescent bulb. The back opens and the trays can be removed. I had to rewire the fixture. The motto on the bottom "Smoothest thing on paper" only gets one "hit" on Google, from a 1951 newspaper ad.

fpn_1478936015__image00002_2.jpg

Edited by Greenie

When the shop closed on the Isle of Wight in 2005 the family retained certain items of which this stand was one. In fact the box it arrived to me in was old and had paper packaging dating to 1950 inside. The family had owned the shop from before WW1.

This is the shop during WW2.

attachicon.gifIoWShop_02.jpg

Looking to the news outside the shop I would say that the photo is from well before and not during the WW2.

Anyway the display case is beautiful.

Ciao

Alfredo

Edited by alfredop

I am fortunate to have this display case. The top lights up with a fluorescent bulb. The back opens and the trays can be removed. I had to rewire the fixture. The motto on the bottom "Smoothest thing on paper" only gets one "hit" on Google, from a 1951 newspaper ad.

fpn_1478936015__image00002_2.jpg

Very nice indeed and it looks very close to era of mine.

• 2 months later...

A new addition for the display case.

It's not old but it fits and at just £5 for the pen, a deluxe box, bottle of ink and a converter, it was a stainless steal :lticaptd: