Tanzanite - Pelikan Edelstein

visvamitra

Pelikan Edelstein is the proof of Pelikan employees marketing efficiency. Beautifully packaged inks bear promise of amazing writing experience. The line is popular all around the world and concurs with the likes of Pilot Iroshizuku or Graf von Faber-Castell.

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/2076/YtmFPx.jpg

The packaging is really impressive.

The outer cardboard box is, more or less, standard. It's not overisized and made from cardboard.The front panel has a slightly slanted extra facet with a colored panel that corresponds to the ink color inside. Care was also taken to keep ink secure in the box - the pair of styrofoam pads rest between the neck of the bottle and the box.

The bottle itself is really, really nice. The glass is thick, heavy and rectangular but with slightly concave sides. The lettering fits the design. I believe Caran d'Ache Chromatics inks bottles are more interesting, Iroshizuku probably nicer but Edelstein offers great and solid cap.

The inks can be bought in 12 colors, seven standard.

1. Aventurine
  2. Jade
  3. Mandarin
  4. Onyx
  5. ​Sapphire
  6. Ruby
  7. Topaz

And 5 LE inks of the year

1. Turmaline Ink of the Year 2012
  2. Amber Ink of the Year 2013
  3. Garnet Ink of the Year 2014
  4. Amethyst Ink of the Year 2015
  5. Aquamarine Ink of the Year 2016

Tanzanite is one of best behaved inks I had a chance to try. The writing experience is great even in dry and fine nibs because the ink offers great lubrication and smoothness. While I still don't enjoy the color, I'll admit this ink is excellent. In objective terms it's much better than two blue - blacks I enjoy using in everyday life (Aonibi + Robert Oster's Blue Night).

If you look for more in-depth review of the ink be sure to check namrehsnoom excellent review and comparison to Montblanc Midnight Blue.

fpn_1475524305__tanzanite_edelstein_is.j

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1475524141__tanzanite_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1475524188__tanzanite_l_3.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1475524242__tanzanite_tomoe_1.jpg

fpn_1475524251__tanzanite_tomoe_2.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1475524151__tanzanite_l_1.jpg

fpn_1475524178__tanzanite_l_2.jpg

fpn_1475524195__tanzanite_l_4.jpg

Oxford, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1475524208__tanzanite_ox_1.jpg

fpn_1475524217__tanzanite_ox_2.jpg

fpn_1475524228__tanzanite_ox_3.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Tas

• ca49reber

• Mongoosey

Nice review as always, Vis. I'm glad you liked it at least as re its behaviour. For me, it's one of the best behaved -- no, stop, it is the best behaved Edelstein. Plus, I love the colour, but that's a completely different story.

Mike :)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Lovely review of a really lovely ink. Thank you.

I like everything about this one.

The Edelstein bottle is so pretty and tactile. :wub:

Edited by Tas

Great review. I have the LE Garnet, Amethyst, Aquamarine, but not any of the regular colors. I might have to change that now.

Heh, I have this, but I'm liking Aonibi's colour more and wanting that too :wub: this is relegated to third place already!

Great review as always Vis, thank you!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Great review thanks.

I like the colour. I also like Topaz but that put me off using these inks because it stained the ink window of my 101n.

I thought I would like this ink, but I didn't. There was nothing specific that turned me off, it was just meh...

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Thanks for the review.

I currently have this in a vintage Pelikan 400 with an OB nib and love the combination. And what I like best about Tanzanite is that unlike a lot of blue-black inks, it doesn't lean teal or green. It's the very definition of a blue-black IMO -- all I see when I use it is blue and black.

Although I don't recalling seeing that red sheen.... Looks as if I'm going to have to start using better paper....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the review.

I currently have this in a vintage Pelikan 400 with an OB nib and love the combination. And what I like best about Tanzanite is that unlike a lot of blue-black inks, it doesn't lean teal or green. It's the very definition of a blue-black IMO -- all I see when I use it is blue and black.

Although I don't recalling seeing that red sheen.... Looks as if I'm going to have to start using better paper....

Yay !

We finally agree on an ink :)

(The red sheen is defo there)

Thanks for the review.

1. Amen. That's why I love it: when I use it, I also see only blue and black.

2. I also don't see any red sheen... thusly, I'll stick to cheap paper....

This review caused me to order this ink. Someday I am going to count all the blues that I have.

This review caused me to order this ink. Someday I am going to count all the blues that I have.

Hey, that's a good one. Me too. Let's say I already have ***. I'll probably still bump into yet another one tomorrow which I'll just have to get. Such is life, and that's okay with me.

• 2 years later...

How is the maintenance of this ink in a pen?

I have Iroshizuku Shin-Kai and Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite which I may potentially use in only one pen (Lamy 2000 soon to arrive), though am debating using Sailor Souboku (So lovely),

But I'm curious about how Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite would compare with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai, especially in terms of pen maintenance.

I've had really good experiences with Iroshizuku inks, but I don't have enough experience with Pelikan Edelstein inks.

I've had really good experiences with Iroshizuku inks, but I don't have enough experience with Pelikan Edelstein inks.

Perfect reason to buy some! :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

How is the maintenance of this ink in a pen?

I have Iroshizuku Shin-Kai and Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite which I may potentially use in only one pen (Lamy 2000 soon to arrive), though am debating using Sailor Souboku (So lovely),

But I'm curious about how Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite would compare with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai, especially in terms of pen maintenance.

I have some in my Visconti Homo Sapiens and whilst the ink is very saturated, it's a doddle to clean out.