The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Copperplate Challenge

copperplate engrossers script script pointed pen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smk

smk

Antique

• FPN Tech. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2016 - 20:03

Practitioners of Copperplate and Engrosser's Script know that the spacing in these scripts is fairly 'automatic' i.e. things fall in place rather nicely when the exit hairlines are drawn correctly and meet the following letter at about halfway up the x-height. It is interesting to ponder exactly why that is so.

It turns out (no pun intended) that the bottom turns of the straight letters (i, t, l) etc are actually similar to the rounded letters (o, c, e). When drawn correctly, i.e. like the bottom right side of an 'o', exit strokes will be at the correct angle (i.e. match the slant) when they meet the following letter. What is even better is that the join won't be jarring even if the hairline meets the following letter a little bit below the halfway point - this typically results in an abrupt 'impalement' of the hairline into the following letter if the hairline is drawn a bit too shallow.

Here is an exercise I give my students. The following image shows the bottom halves of 3 words 'ice', 'lit' and 'tie' - can you tell which one is which?

fpn_1476907185__ice-tie-lit-hidden.jpg

(you can see the whole image here)

The challenge is to write these three words and see if the bottom halves give them away. I will be looking forward to your participation.

- Salman

Sponsored Content

#2 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2016 - 20:31

That's cheating... I tried looking behind my screen.. but there was nothing....  :(

I also tried flashing a strong light to my screen... but couldn't see the "ghosting" on the letters...  :P

HA!!... very good Salman... I couldn't tell if my life depended on it...   :D  :D

C. 

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#3 smk

smk

Antique

• FPN Tech. Admin

• 2,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:58

@Cyber6 - that is the advantage of using heavy card stock :D

S.

#4 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 15:18

Great job, Salman. In terms of recognizing letters, almost any script is written so that the top half of the lettering is more critical in recognizing a letter than the bottom half. Doesn't just apply to Copperplate.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#5 smk

smk

Antique

• FPN Tech. Admin

• 2,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 18:31

Great job, Salman. In terms of recognizing letters, almost any script is written so that the top half of the lettering is more critical in recognizing a letter than the bottom half. Doesn't just apply to Copperplate.

Enjoy,

The point of this exercise is not about recognizing letters but to illustrate that the bottom turns of both straight and rounded letters are the same i.e. you can't tell the bottom of an 'i' from that of an 'e' (as in 'tie').

Clearly the bottom halves of 'i' and 'e' in Itlaic or Batarde are different - you might not be able to tell and 'e' from an 'o' but you can identify the round letters. Even in Blackletter Quadrata (made up mostly of minims and lozenges) you can tell the bottom of the 'e' and 'o' are different than that of an 'm' or an 'n'.

I hope this clarifies the exercise and my reason for sharing it.

- Salman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: copperplate, engrossers script, script, pointed pen

Sponsored Content

|