The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Can't Decide On My Next Pen

twsbi noodler konrad kaweco sport vac 580 vac700 post student

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 lheamfrg

lheamfrg

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:00

New to the forum and fountain pens and I own a Kaweco and a Konrad. The Kaweco is my daily carry, and the first one I reach for. The Konrad is pretty good though - once you get the nib set right.

The Kaweco Sport is affordable, light, compact and worked out of the box. Plus you can either use cartridges or eyedropper convert it.

Sponsored Content

#42 Napostrophe

Napostrophe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:54

I think I have settle on getting a TWSBI Diamond Mini Classic. It seems like the best option for me and has gotten so much praise on this thread and around the Internet. So unless someone says anything to convince me otherwise I'm pretty much set on getting the Diamond Mini.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I will say when I've ordered it and will try to post my opinions and impressions once I have it.

#43 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 20:25

That will be a good pen!

Gold or steel trim?

#44 Napostrophe

Napostrophe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 22:12

That will be a good pen!
Gold or steel trim?

Steel :P

#45 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:00

Good choice. I have all three of your finalists, and all of them make my "pens for hiking the Appalachian Trail" list. The only problem with the mini is that you have to screw the cap on the back to post it and that can be a little bit of a hassle for quick notes. But they are lovely little pens.

Yet another Sarah.

#46 Napostrophe

Napostrophe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2016 - 15:12

Update:
Currently waiting on a few things before ordering (long story)
Second: I have actually changed my mind away from the TWSBI Mini and I am instead planning on buying a TWSBI Eco and a Pilot Prera as I have realized that due to the fact that I write in violet I need a seperate pen which I will use for tests and papers that will have blue ink (I plan on putting my J. Herbin Scented Violet ink in the Eco and some J. Herbin Scented Blue ink in the Prera).

Thanks for all the help, guys

#47 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2016 - 21:29

HA HA!!!

I neeeeeeeewwww it!!!!

The Prera weeeeeeeeens!

(-:

#48 Napostrophe

Napostrophe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2016 - 23:15

HA HA!!!
I neeeeeeeewwww it!!!!
The Prera weeeeeeeeens!
(-:

Lol :P

Edited by Napostrophe, 28 October 2016 - 23:16.

#49 DFv

DFv

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2016 - 23:33

Order in which I would buy:

- Platinum Century 3776

- Sailor Professional Gear

- Kaweco Sport

#50 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:37

Order in which I would buy:

- Platinum Century 3776

- Sailor Professional Gear

- Kaweco Sport

The options are not bad, but Napostrophe said he/she would not pay over 50$....

No vintage pens either.....

#51 Shaggy

Shaggy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:49

I wouldn't get a mini anything or a Prera. I love the Prera but you can only fit a con50 converter so the ink capacity is low. Mini twsbi has the same issue.

Twsbi 580 doesn't post and the cap will be falling off desks at school.

I'd get a couple of Pilot Kakuno pens with con70 converters. Great sturdy pens, 15 bucks plus 7 for a huge capacity converter.

Edited by Shaggy, 29 October 2016 - 08:51.

#52 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2016 - 13:09

I'd get a couple of Pilot Kakuno pens with con70 converters. Great sturdy pens, 15 bucks plus 7 for a huge capacity converter.

And the nib winks at you (or smiles, depending on which you get)... ;)

#53 Napostrophe

Napostrophe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2016 - 13:11

I wouldn't get a mini anything or a Prera. I love the Prera but you can only fit a con50 converter so the ink capacity is low. Mini twsbi has the same issue.

Twsbi 580 doesn't post and the cap will be falling off desks at school.

Well the Prera is fine for me as I intend on using it with blue ink for the rare occasion that I need to do so (tests, etc.)
However, due to its price I will definitely consider it, though at that point I would probably be better off with a metropolitan.

Edited by Napostrophe, 30 October 2016 - 00:10.

#54 Napostrophe

Napostrophe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2016 - 13:11

Just curious, anybody have any suggestion for a somewhat inexpensive display case for our pens? We have around 10.

Edited by Napostrophe, 29 October 2016 - 13:12.

#55 Napostrophe

Napostrophe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2016 - 00:36

I now have a knew predicament:
Whether to get the Pilot Prera, Metropolitan, or Kakuno to pair with the TWSBI Eco.
The pilot Prera is more expensive, but supposedly posts well and is supposedly very nice. The Metropolitan comes with a converter, costs less, and is weighted better, I like myself a more hefty pen, I have actually recently switched from my mom's Waterman to my dad's Rotring 600 fountain pen (it's a shame they don't produce these anymore, they're really nice, though the mechanism to keep the cap on supposedly wears out over time, my dad owns two because of it). The only real argument I can think of for the Kakuno is that the nib has a smily face on it, which I think is really cute and would probably make me less stressed during a test :P

Edited by Napostrophe, 30 October 2016 - 00:38.

#56 jonesberg

jonesberg

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:06

Start with the Metropolitan. It is a really nice pen, and you'll save more than half the money. :)

(The Metro was my first fountain pen and I still use it. I don't own a Prera.)

-j

#57 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:10

I now have a knew predicament:
Whether to get the Pilot Prera, Metropolitan, or Kakuno to pair with the TWSBI Eco.
The pilot Prera is more expensive, but supposedly posts well and is supposedly very nice. The Metropolitan comes with a converter, costs less, and is weighted better, I like myself a more hefty pen, I have actually recently switched from my mom's Waterman to my dad's Rotring 600 fountain pen (it's a shame they don't produce these anymore, they're really nice, though the mechanism to keep the cap on supposedly wears out over time, my dad owns two because of it). The only real argument I can think of for the Kakuno is that the nib has a smily face on it, which I think is really cute and would probably make me less stressed during a test :P

Welcome to the Black Hole of Fountain Pens. :D

I don't have a Prera.

I have the Eco EF, Metropolitan F, and Kakuno F (with a winking smiley face).  I like them all.  The Metropolitan's nib was better than the Kakuno's to start with, but I just smoothed the Kakuno's and now it's great.  It's a slightly wider line, but that could easily be nib variation or a consequence of smoothing rather than a different size by design.  Of course, for the price of the Prera, you can get both the Metro and Kakuno...  Or, as mentioned, save some money for inks and papers. Whether the Prera is twice as good, I couldn't say.

Personally, I recommend getting the CON-50 converter for the Metropolitan, so you can see how much ink is left; and that or the CON-70 for the Kakuno - the latter will hold a lot of ink, which is one argument for the Kakuno.

Edited by LizEF, 30 October 2016 - 01:12.

#58 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• 1,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:53

I would advise against getting the Metropolitan. I used to own a similar pen, the VFM and it eventually got a dark ring due to posting. the pen becomes quiet unattractive after a few years. The same can't be said about the Prera. The Prera posts well and even though it's a bit short, it can be used un-posted for very fast writing. The Kakuno is not a bad pen. I'd say you should go with looks, if your deciding between those two. 

#59 Shaggy

Shaggy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:47

I never use my metropolitan. I find it back heavy because the section is lightweight plastic.

#60 Napostrophe

Napostrophe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2016 - 16:03

Omg, I've started questioning myself again.
I'm debating going back to the TWSBI Mini as it is unlikely I will use the one of the pilots as I would only use them for written assignments and tests, which don't come that often, and the fact that the TWSBI Eco does not post as nicely as the TWSBI mini. I also worry I don't have enough space in my pen case for two fountain pens (it isn't the largest and there are other things that I require to carry more :P)

I only have two subjects in school that would want me to use a pen (maybe three if I include science APs, but we don't do tests in pen in that class).

If I do go with the Eco and a Pilot, I think I'll get the Kakuno, as what is more calming during a test than a pen that smiles at you? (Also it costs less, lol)

Edited by Napostrophe, 30 October 2016 - 16:07.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, noodler, konrad, kaweco, sport, vac, 580, vac700, post, student

Sponsored Content

|