Toy Mini Lathe

Inky.Fingers

When you are on a budget...

And... you really want to try turning ....

And you are a really beginner.....

Which would you recommend as a MINI/Micro Lathe for turning pen (material wood and aryclic)?

1. Mini Mason Lathe (if you can find one)

2. Chinese made http://www.ebay.com/itm/262071648861?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3. Something else that cost between $150 to $300.

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• richardandtracy

• ABinBoston

• More4dan

I spent a bit more and bought a HF 7" x 10" mini metal lathe for $390. It is about as small as I can imagine for turning pens if plan to drill with the lathe. The 10" length is barely long enough. If you don't plan to make metal pens you can get a nice mini/midi wood lathe for your budget.

Also check out www.penturners.com. That forum is more dedicated to pen makers and has a great amount of information and advice for novice to expert.

Danny

I used one of the chinese lathe and still have it. It is possible but not easy. Too flexible and my one had inadequate travel in the X axis, though cured on this one. Likely to be good enough for a skilled turner. However, probably too difficult for the novice user.

If you want a metal lathe, get the biggest you can afford. Work always grows!

Regards

Richard

CNC lathe.

HA ha ha.

Unless you are going to convert a manual one yourself, they are for the very well heeled. The cheapest one I have seen sold new is £4k (say $4k). I have not seen a second hand small cnc lathe. The sort I would like (with 4 axis control) I've seen second hand and heavily used as cheap as £8k. with a 20kW motor and weighing in at 3 tonnes. The power requirement is probably slightly beyond what my village supply could cope with, let alone the supply to my house...

If you can get a CNC, remember the skill set is mostly programming and or using software with a much lower emphasis on manual dexterity and tool knowledge (despite the fact the same knowledge about the tools is needed - it's a huge knowledge overlay on top of existing knowledge). Also it's much less easy to tweak something when you get to the stage of nearly finishing and then you think 'No, ... would be better here'.

However, it is a cure for manual dexterity problems.

Regards,

Richard.

I guess I have to get one to try my dexterity than fiddling with CNC.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-quality-and-big-promotion-4_60110205608.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.LUTpfm

This CNC router is advertised...seemingly easy to use if you are a programming expert.

I think it is easier for me to just order a custom pen..... anyone making blocks like Parker Vacumatic , coin stacks?

It's not a lathe. I have a bigger version of these. The 4th axis turns at about 200 degrees a minute. All cutting is done with a router. The basic shape needs to be done with a lathe and external decoration done with the CNC. Wish it was easier to use.

Regards

Richard.