Parsons Essential Dry Start

vicpen123

I bought a Parsons Essential with a medium nib earlier this year. The pen is my EDC because it is a nice weight, writes smoothly and evenly and can tolerate being opened and closed for short periods when taking lots of short notes in a meeting.

Once it starts, the flow is good. However, on a couple of occasions, the pen was hard to start after being carried nib up in shirt breast pocket for a while. The nib was dry completely and would only start to write after I turned the piston handle in the converter and pushed ink down into the feed. I use only black Parker Quink in all my pens so the ink should not be a problem.

I contacted Peter Ford who responded promptly and suggested that I soak the nib. I have soaked the nib and soaked the converter with soapy water but the problem came back. The converter does not have a ball or a spring and I suspect that surface tension is the most probable cause.

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution. The pen is otherwise great and I want to continue using it as my EDC as it is a good writer and is also easily replaceable if lost or damaged, unlike some of my vintage pens or more expensive modern pens.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vicpen123

• sandy101

• ink-syringe

• Kenlowe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a similar problem with a Captain's Commission. The Parson's & Captain's Commission are easily disassembled and put back together.

It might be worthwhile removing the nib and the feed (it can be a bit stiff, but don't use tools) and then giving them a run under a tap and a quickk brush with a toothbrush. I did this with my captain's Commission and the problem disappeared.

There's a video from Mr Ford here.

If the excellent advice from sandy doesnt work I would try a change of ink, there are some better and more free flowing ink than Parkers.

Another free solution might be to invert the pen from time to time whilst in your pocket.

Thank you both sandy101 and Kenlowe for your responses. As it happens I had cleaned the pen as shown in the video before I watched it - removed nib and feed and cleared section - as it is the standard method for most of my pens.

I will try the inversion technique. I have noticed that the ink takes a while to move when inverted but it might be that I don't do it often enough.

As for the ink, I have used Parker Quink in a variety of pens for over 40 years and this is the only pen where I have had problems.

Not all pens are equal to all inks (that's not a criticism - just an observation)

Not sure what inks are available on your side of the planet, but Waterman & Diamine work fine. The pen probably came with a Diamine cartridge. Try that out, if you haven't used it to see if you get a better result.

Edited by sandy101

It's not the ink. It is surface tension. I carried out a little experiment where the pen was left nib up in a small bottle overnight. The nest day the barrel was removed and the ink had all flowed to the end of the converter. I had washed the converter with water and soap but the problem persisted.

After slowly rotating/inverting the pen and converter to the normal writing position, the ink did not move and remained fixed in opposition to the laws of gravity. Without disturbing the ink in the converter, the nib was dry. it took a couple of minutes for the ink to begin to slowly slide down.

After a while a good shake caused the ink to flow to the nib and all was well. An Esterbrook J was used as a control and it flowed immediately which suggests that the internal surface of the ink sac did not create surface tension with the ink.

The rotation/inversion/shaking solution should ensure a smooth flow with only occasional dryness. Otherwise, the pen and nib are great. Photo shows ink hanging from the inside of the converter.

post-132288-0-41019100-1477277496.jpg

I have the same problems in mine. Additionally mine runs dry after about a half page and constantly needs priming. Ink starvation city. I have cleaned the pen over and over to no avail. The best experience I have with it is either a sopping wet ink like Diamine midnight and sometimes syringe filing a long cartridge helps. Great pen otherwise but really works better with Iroshizuku or Diamine super wet inks. Iron Gall inks were a total no-go in this pen for me. Unless you like constantly priming the feed and watching your writing get paler and dryer has you move down the page.

I have Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine in there now. That is a hilarious ink. I swear it must be made by some frustrated Pelikan employee who snuck in the factory at night and just dumped a few extra gallons of surfactant and lubricant in the mix. Pelikan inks, even some of the Edelstein are pretty dry but Aventurine flows like crazy and feathers pretty badly. But the color is pretty. Pelikan's party ink. heh.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version