Montblanc Resin Polish Found

Pravda

Meguiars plastx is my go-to for precious resin polishing.

~ meiers:

Well, well, this thread is yielding much practical information.

Thank you for telling this.

Tom K.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Pravda

• meiers

• Kalessin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ Beechwood:

Thank you so much.

It will be on my ‘to-do list’ for later this week.

Tom K.

As far as I know, Novus products are not available in China.

Unfortunately, I don't know what products are available in China, but what you need is a polish intended for plastics (not metals), and one which uses a fine abrasive for gentle polishing, rather than something intended for removing a lot of the surface of a plastic item that has deep scratches.

There are also a number of name-brand pen polishes, also available by web-search, but I don't know who would be able to ship to China.

The important thing to remember is that all polishes have abrasives in them, and that metal polishes are generally too strong for use on plastic.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

For your consideration I use Micro-Gloss Type 1 polish

a safe product....You can read about......here.....

http://micro-surface.com/index.php/products-by-type/micro-gloss/micro-gloss-liquid-abrasive-type-1-cleaner-polish.html

Redacting: They do ship internationally....contact and ask

for a quote. By the way military and civilian aircraft canopies

are cleaned and polished with this product.

Fred

Edited by Freddy

There are also a number of name-brand pen polishes, also available by web-search, but I don't know who would be able to ship to China.

~ There's no tactful way to say this, but at present all major international search engines are unavailable here, aside from occasional access to Bing.

The domestic search engines have been reconfigured to strongly favor results based in this country, with “foreign” Web sites either eliminated or ranked very low.

For that reason Web searches have become problematic for English-speaking expatriates working here.

Accordingly, the advice and guidance of FPN members is highly appreciated. Their collective experience and access to an unfettered Internet yields valuable insights.

It's helpful for me to have it emphasized that what's necessary is a gently polishing plastics polish.

Tom K.

Pravda, any chance of some pictures of the polished up pens? I'd love to see the results you've gotten :)

Thank you for the good tips, everyone!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Pravda, any chance of some pictures of the polished up pens? I'd love to see the results you've gotten :)

Thank you for the good tips, everyone!

I generally take good care of my pens, so I can't say any of them had any more than micro-scratches only visible in direct sunlight. So essentially they appeared great indoors, hence I am unsure how to bring out the improvement on a camera. It is just that now even in direct sunlight the pens are perfect.

Tom, please excuse my ignorance about web-searching in China.

Your best bet may be to have a good pen polish shipped to you from one of us.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

~ Thanks, Kalessin!

I'm mulling over the options.

Very fortunately, all of the various Montblanc pens are in relatively fine shape.

When I inquired at a major Montblanc boutique here, they admitted that they had no idea.

They even didn't have a high-grade polishing cloth to recommend.

I've been using camera lens micro-fiber cloths with good effect.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie since you say some products aren't available in China......

Back then before all the hype of the plastic polishing products available.....

I use toothpaste.....

If it safe for your mouth then it's safe on plastic....... :D

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/simple-plastic-polishing-methods

Read here for more information on simple plastic polishing methods.....^^^......

Tom Kellie since you say some products aren't available in China......

Back then before all the hype of the plastic polishing products available.....

I use toothpaste.....

If it safe for your mouth then it's safe on plastic....... :D

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/simple-plastic-polishing-methods

Read here for more information on simple plastic polishing methods.....^^^......

Thanks.

How well does it work? Could you tell us about your experiences?

I have used the following product with optimum results:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/199492-the-best-mb-pen-polish-scratch-removal-kit-from-australia/

With it I was able to restore a 20 year old Montblac to like new condition.

I have also included a link to a YouTube demonstration video:

https://youtu.be/NnJULtFW1Rc

Edited by pen jubky

Thanks.

How well does it work? Could you tell us about your experiences?

No problem my friend...... :)

It work well, It took off oxidation and hairline scratches......

The best part is safe and it come in handy when you travel.....

You should try it on the cd for experiment.....

If you going to compare to Meguiar's plastx, the plastx is way better.......

Notice when you used the plastx it feel like the plastic is coats with something that keep the plastic moisturizing from any future scratches......

I have used both Meguire's PlastiX, and Micro-Gloss to remove faint scratches on my Montblanc pens. If you are familiar with those annoying little scratches that appear around the body of the Heritage 1912 pen that are caused by the cap screwing on and off, these two items have removed these scratches COMPLETELY on my pens. The surface after using is as smooth and shiny as a new pen. Meguire's contains petroleum distillates and the Micro-Gloss is water based, but neither damages the resin in any way. Both very excellent products and I recommend them without reserve.

Just tried Meguiar's PlastX and can confirm it works on the regular "Precious resin" and the metal barrel coated with whatever it is covered with of the Heritage 1912.

Good tip, and easy.

Just tried Meguiar's PlastX and can confirm it works on the regular "Precious resin" and the metal barrel coated with whatever it is covered with of the Heritage 1912.

Good tip, and easy.

Wonderful.