Giacomo Puccini - De Atramentis

visvamitra

De Atramentis fountain pen inks are hand made in Germany by Dr. Franz-Josef Jansen, and come in a 35ml glass bottle. The company has been producing inks for about 30 years so there is a proven track record here. These inks are said to be hand made – the entire production process is done manually in the manufacturing center. The thing that influence their quality and, sadly, price is the fact that Dr. jansen uses only dyes from well established german companies like BASF.

De Atramentis inks are sold in 35 ml glass bottles. I enjoy the way this bottle look and I find them practical. Some of DA inks come in black glass that’s supposed to protect the ink from light.

I enjoy trying products of smaller companies, especially the ones that creators put a lot of heart and energy in developing their business and products. I believe Dr. Jansen is such a person. He’s developed literally hundreds of inks indifferent categories. I’ve tried just a small quantity of his inks. I’ve enjoyed some and disliked some. It’s normal. I\m still eager to get to know most of DA inks.

De Atramentis inks are grouped into categories like Standard inks, Document inks, Black Edition inks. Also on De ATramentis website you can find a lot of topic related inks (places, signs of zodiac, history, business, music, literature etc.). Most of them are renamed standard inks.

Giacomo Puccini from Music series is actually Aubergine. It's other names are Birthday Ink (Holiday series) and Louise Aston (Power Woman).

I think it's one of better De Atramentis inks - it's well behaved on most papers (although I've seen it feather in some review, it didn't happen to me though). The flow is good and constant, lubrication quite nice. Basically I think it's reliable and interesting ink, especially for purple color maniacs.

Ink splash

fpn_1476646230__puccini_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1476646346__aubergine_kt.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1476646265__puccini_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1476646272__puccini_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1476646312__puccini_t_1.jpg

fpn_1476646319__puccini_t_2.jpg

fpn_1476646326__puccini_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1476646250__puccini_l_1.jpg

fpn_1476646258__puccini_l_2.jpg

fpn_1476646279__puccini_l_5.jpg

Rhodia, Waterman Commando Tapperite, semi-flex

fpn_1476646300__puccini_rh_1.jpg

fpn_1476646306__puccini_rh_2.jpg

Oxford, Waterman Commando Tapperite, semi-flex

fpn_1476646193__aubergine_ox_1.jpg

fpn_1476646201__aubergine_ox_2.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• Cyber6

• Tas

• visvamitra

Yes... is a nice purple!!... But I am no purple maniac, and have several purples in the same wavelength... ;)... no need to add this one.

Thanks so much for the awesome review... :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I have their Aubergine and really like it because I find it one of the better "Aubergines" out there (in general).

Such colours (if not all or almost all DeA inks) are also available under another name, as said above. Especially writers, composers etc. Or other famous things.

I also bought De A's "Berlin Branderburger Tor (Berlin Brandenburg Gate) and it even says "Aubergine" on the label. That isn't usually the case, although their website almost always reveals what actual colour a writer/composer ink is.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you for this, Vis. I did not know that aubergine and Giacomo Puccini were the same color.

I have Aubergine, in its Puccini incarnation. i really like the colour. The purple colour group is one of my favourites; so much more attractive than the sludge/smog/dishwater group ;-) Purples are usually great shading and/or drawing inks.

However although I like the colour I find this one does bleed and feather quite badly for me.

Verba volant, scripta manent

The purple colour group is one of my favourites; so much more attractive than the sludge/smog/dishwater group ;-)

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_not_listening.jpg

Not listening . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_not_listening.jpg

Not listening . . .

What is she referring to when she says sludge/smog/dishwater group?...

Honest question, my dish washing soap is purple.. so the only sludge/dishwater color I know is purple... :lol:

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Honest question, my dish washing soap is purple.. so the only sludge/dishwater color I know is purple... :lol:

C.

I think migo984 is referring to Salamander, Gris de Payne, and all those other gorgeously dingy, murky, greeny browns and lack lustre colours that I like so much :blush:

My teenagers have a word for it, banter . . . :)

I think migo984 is referring to Salamander, Gris de Payne, and all those other gorgeously dingy, murky, greeny browns and lack lustre colours that I like so much :blush:

My teenagers have a word for it, banter . . . :)

Well I am in your group.... so you have good company... :lol: :lol:

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

And here I thought DeA Alexander Hamilton was Aubergine. I thought they looked different. Now I know why. :doh:

C.

Ah, one whiff of criticism of murky & the gang's all here hehehe ;-) Hi Tas, Cyber6 & Vis :-)

"Dishwater", not dishwashing soap i.e. the colour of the water after you've done a big pile of greasy plates :-)

Tas is wrong - I don't mind Gris de Payne. That's a clean grey. I do like many greys, browns & green-golds. But I'm selective - they've got to be distinct & with some luminosity. It's the inks that are muddy & lack clear definition I'm not fond of. Like Salamander. They just look like one of those kid's paintings, when all the poster paints have been mixed together to get "sludge". To me they represent poor dye choices in the mix.

It's good that we all get to use our preferred choices isn't it.....

Verba volant, scripta manent

They just look like one of those kid's paintings, when all the poster paints have been mixed together to get "sludge".

:)

And Plastacine . . .

Plastacine just became that Salamander colour when all the other colours were mixed B)

However although I like the colour I find this one does bleed and feather quite badly for me.

I was tempted to give this a try despite of the bad experience I have had so far with De Atramentis inks, but I think I won't try it. I like the color but honestly, I don't rely too much on its behavior.

I was tempted to give this a try despite of the bad experience I have had so far with De Atramentis inks, but I think I won't try it. I like the color but honestly, I don't rely too much on its behavior.

Really? I've liked most of the ones I've tried, except for the Document inks (I haven't tried all of those), and some of the scents of the scented inks line. They are wet inks though, so if you're using them in a wet pen you may have some issues.

As for Pucchini/Aubergine/etc., I was finally able to snag a sample recently but haven't yet tried it. It was out for a while at all the "usual suspects online stores. Probably because of one of the other relabelled versions of Aubergine is "Alexander Hamilton".... Likely due to the popularity of the Broadway musical (I saw a thing on TV a while back which said that it was *easier* to get a spot in the chorus than to get a ticket to the show....).

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."