Alternate Way To Fill A Parker 61 ?

Mangrove Jack

The capillary system in my Parker 61 does not seem to work any more.

So, here is a question - if I were to put the pen nib down into the bottle of ink and using my mouth around the capillary section suck up ink into the pen would it be okay, or should I do it the other way round ie. have the capillary section in the ink and suck up ink from the nib end ?

I trust washable ink will not stain teeth.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mangrove Jack

• mitto

• pajaro

• richardandtracy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could try flushing the filler.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

FarmBoy, I did, but it still will not fill up with ink even with the capillary end in the bottle of ink for 5 minutes.

I would use a drinking straw push over the capillary. You will be able to see the ink go a little up the straw before stopping the suck. This will have the effect of flushing the filler.

You will have a very full pen. no stained teeth and children will not run away from you

I usually leave my 61 capillary filler in the ink bottle for about 45 minutes to an hour. I started doing this after reading someone else's post that they did something like this. Some water in the ink might evaporate, but the pen works.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I fill my capillary P61 by mouth for the same reason.

The only time you can do it carelessly is at Halloween. Imagine the Pelikan Turquoise stained smile I gave after sucking too hard... It was a thing of nightmares.

Regards

Richard

The only time you can do it carelessly is at Halloween. Imagine the Pelikan Turquoise stained smile I gave after sucking too hard... It was a thing of nightmares.

Regards

Richard

If the pen won't fill by capillary action, how does it hold the ink if you suck it up by mouth? Why not compress one of those syringes used for flushing (cut to go around the capillary filler) and then let that provide the suction?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Was the felt at the end of the filler white or red originally?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

kenlowe, thanks. That's a good idea, I will try it.

Pajaro, that's a long time. I will try that method too. Patience, only 45 minutes, patience will have to be learned.

Regards

Richard

Thanks, glad to know I am not the only one.

Was the felt at the end of the filler white or red originally?

I was not the original owner so I do not know. I thought they were all red. What is the difference between them ?

I was not the original owner so I do not know. I thought they were all red. What is the difference between them ?

The white ones don't fill well.

kenlowe, thanks. That's a good idea, I will try it.

Pajaro, that's a long time. I will try that method too. Patience, only 45 minutes, patience will have to be learned.

Sometimes I forget and leave the filler in the ink overnight.

I have 2 young kids, two active dogs and insects - large tropical insects, not to mention the rats and Pole Cats. The bottle left open on my desk overnight will be a disaster.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

If the pen won't fill by capillary action, how does it hold the ink if you suck it up by mouth? Why not compress one of those syringes used for flushing (cut to go around the capillary filler) and then let that provide the suction?

The felt seems to be hydrophobic on mine. It holds the ink in the same way as every other P61 capillary, by the sprung loaded seal in the barrel closing off the end of the capillary housing. The only thing is the ink won't pass through the felt except under pressure.

Regards,

Richard.

The felt seems to be hydrophobic on mine. It holds the ink in the same way as every other P61 capillary, by the sprung loaded seal in the barrel closing off the end of the capillary housing. The only thing is the ink won't pass through the felt except under pressure.

Regards,

Richard.

It remains unclear to me whether the bulb syringe would work in suction mode, if you compressed it and held it compressed while fitting it over the capillary filler.

Here is my set up for an overnight stand. The cloth around the mouth is to reduce possible evaporation.

post-120354-0-44828700-1477029893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mangrove Jack

Here is my set up for an overnight stand. The cloth around the mouth is to reduce possible evaporation.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well done. Keeps the ink from evaporating.

Last week I was able to find two complete nib sections (along with the capilliary filler units) minus the nibs for almost nothing ($2 for both) for possible replacements. However, I would say if one shows patience while cleaning and flushing the capilliary unit with bulb syringe, the pen would ultimately start filling. I had one that wouldn't fill but after repeated flushing it nows fills within a minute or two.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas