What Exactly Have I Bought?

mariom

I picked up this pen today on impulse because the price was right and it looked complete, although now that I think about it, the lever isn't shown. I think I can see the lever end just popping out in picture 4, so hopefully it's all there. I've learned from experience that it's not worth asking questions of this seller because they generally aren't answered till 3 days after an item sells.

My question is exactly what have I purchased? The nib looks original and I think I can make out the text "Eversharp" and "Stub" on it? It's a gold seal model, so I assume it's up there in the model hierarchy?

Thanks in advance

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mariom

• Freddy

• PAKMAN

• pen lady

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, it does look like an Eversharp Gold Seal. But, my-oh-my! a cartridge filler :lticaptd: there's a real rarity!!!!!!

Good price!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

My question is exactly what have I purchased? The nib looks original and I think I can make out the text "Eversharp" and "Stub" on it? It's a gold seal model, so I assume it's up there in the model hierarchy?

Thanks in advance

To my untrained eye....you have a Wahl-Eversharp Flat-Top, Gold Seal {lifetime warranty}, Military Roller Clip, in Jade Green, Personal Point Stub Nib.

Should be 4.5" - 4.75". You did very well.

Fred

Thanks. Any idea of the approximate year of manufacture, and any particular things to watch out for when pulling it apart for re-saccing?

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Thanks. Any idea of the approximate year of manufacture, and any particular things to watch out for when pulling it apart for re-saccing?

1928-1930

Aluminum sleeve in the section....which can be frozen tight....

proceed with caution....and leave the nib in the section when extracting....

Fred

Ok. Is the aluminium sleeve for the nib unit to screw into, and is the nib unit possibly frozen? Does the barrel screw or slip on to the section?

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Ok. Is the aluminium sleeve for the nib unit to screw into, and is the nib unit possibly frozen? Does the barrel screw or slip on to the section?

No. The sleeve is inside the barrel and the section fits {friction} into this sleeve.

Fred

No. The sleeve is inside the barrel and the section fits {friction} into this sleeve.

Fred

Ahh. So the possibility of freezing comes from corrosion of the aluminium causing it to stick to the section?

What's the proper way to proceed if it doesn't come loose with regular heat and gentle persuasion? More heat and patience?

Mario

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Soaking and heat should eventually work, but if it does not, there is a proprietary penetrant that creeps into and helps free up the binding aluminum oxide or other corrosion that is hold the section together. It was developed to help people get Skyline sections out. Skyline barrels are notoriously brittle and the barrel shrinks at a faster rate than the section, so they bind tenaciously. One thing to remember on the gold seal pens like yours is that these sections will not come out easily with a twisting motion. A rocking motion works best and with the aluminum sleeve inside chances of hurting the plastic by rocking is almost a non-issue. Rocking motion on Skylines is more precarious, and strong rocking motion will cause problems.

Unfortunately, due to a conflict of interest with me being a moderator and unable to appear to be marketing anything other than information here, you might look up pensburymanor.com.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens