The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Must Have Inks For Newcomer (Lamy Safari)

lamy safari inks

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,916 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:32

Lots of good suggestions if a little heavy towards Pilot/Iro. for my tastes. Nothing against them, liked the ones I have tried, but don't own any beyond samples.

Diamine:

Saddle Brown - a nice mid shading brown - I have it in a TWSBI 580 with a B stub nib

Steel Blue - - turquoise family In a Pelikan M150 right now

Classic Red - good true red

Blue Black - not my favorite blue black, but I do like it and it behaves well

Sherwood Green - nice dark green

Noodlers

Apache Sunset - fun, playful happy ink. I think it is quite good for correspondence and journals. I have in a TWSBI Eco 1.1 stub right now

Black - not bad, I don't use it much. It came in a set I got from Goulet. Leuchtturm notebook, Pilot Metropolitan and Noodlers Black. It is bulletproof. I don't often use black. But generally well behaved

Eel Blue - this I got as a PIF - not a bad ink. I like the color, but almost like Serenity Blue better.

54th Massachusetts- bulletproof blue black, interesting color. Not sure why I don't use it more.

Pelikan 4001

Blue Black - My favorite Blue Black.

Waterman Serenity Blue - plays nice in all my pens,

Levenger Pomegranate - one of my favorite reds. Like the rind of the fruit. No longer available. :(

KWZI

Iron Gall Turquoise - a beautiful turquoise that is very wet for a IG ink.

Azure of Sky - interesting blue. My bottle is very dry. Not sure if it is mislabeled, a bad batch or what. The IG Turquoise is wetter.

Blackstone

Daintree Green - beautiful mid to bright green

Uluru Red  interesting mid red.

Sydney Harbour Blue - almost blue black and sheens like crazy

Barrier Reef Blue - beautiful blue and with a gorgeous red sheen.

Red Cashmere- a dark red that almost looks like Pomegranate sometimes. A pre-production ink that never made it to production

Green Cashmere- an interesting murky/mossy green (some might call it green/black). Another pre-production ink that didn't go into full production.

Akkerman - (never had more than 30 ml)

Shocking Blue

Voorhout Violet - this is an  interesting purple. I have it in a Esterbrook J with 9550 (EF) right now.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Sponsored Content

#22 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:40

I ended up purchasing a Diamine sample package and a Waterman sample package from The Goulet Pen Company on my latest purchase.  So I will have the chance to test out like 15 of the inks all discussed.

#23 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:10

For almost a week and half now I have been trying all the ink samples in my safari and its like a totally different pen.  I mean I knew it would be different based on all the research i've been reading and youtube videos I have been watching.  Still though it's like night and day in the safari.  It actually has made big differences in my other pens as well. Pretty much all the Diamine and Waterman samples I bought behave quite awesome compared to my Noodler's bottle I have.

#24 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:21

Glad to hear you're enjoying trying out the new inks, that's something that never gets old. The hard part is deciding which ones you'll want to keep using on a regular/daily basis.

Except for the Skrips, my suggestions are all fairly dark, so suitable for work or school.

Blue

Pilot/Iro Tsuki-yo - nice blue/black, red sheen

Sailor Yama-dori - greyed blue, red sheen

Skrip Turquoise - bright blue

Green

Sailor Miruai - very dark evergreen, silver/red sheen

Sailor Tokiwa-matsu - very dark green, gold/red sheen

Brown

Pilot/Iro Yama-guri - dark greyed brown

Diamine Macassar - dark brown, siver/green sheen

Red

Diamine Oxblood - dark brown/red

Skrip Red - bright red

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, safari, inks

Sponsored Content

|