The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Strange M800 Inkflow Behavior

m800 inkflow problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mccannel

mccannel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:24

Hi All...I am having a rather odd problem with a recent used M800 I purchased from the 90s.  It has a M nib and I am a leftie, and the pen has been filled with brown Pelikan ink that I currently use in all my pens.

When I write with the new pen, it moves back and forth as I write with putting very little ink onto the page, i.e. very dry, or sometimes very light, to putting normal amount of ink down as one would expect from a M M800 nib...it goes back and forth like that, very light almost no ink to normal ink.

My first thought is that it is a problem with nib/feed, just doesn't work with my left hand, has been worn in differently, etc.  So I take first a F nib from another M800 that is currently inked up and then another M nib from yet another inked M800, and try these nibs in the pen...and guess what, same problem!  Then I used the nib from the pen I just bought in one of the other pens, and no problem either.  So I concluded the problem does not lie with the nib/feed, but is caused by something else.

So I cleaned the pen out thoroughly and re-greased the piston with silicone in case there is some sort of seal issue that I will hopefully fix by re-greasing.  But no luck, the problem still occurs, regardless of what nib I use in the pen.

So I am hoping that Pelikan experts here on the forum can perhaps shed some light on what is going on and have suggestions as to what might fix the problem...very weird phenomenon...have not encountered before!

Sponsored Content

#2 canibanoglu

canibanoglu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:55

That is weird indeed, have you tried with a different ink? The pen body plays no part in ink delivery to the page except holding the ink to be used and unless there's some weird blockage in the delivery to the nib/feed system, I wouldn't think the pen body to have an effect on what you have described. You mentioned that you have cleaned the pen but have you filled it with the same ink? Can you try the same ink in the other M800 you have mentioned?

I sometimes write about pens, inks and papers!

#3 mr2txaggie

mr2txaggie

AbbyRose

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:32

I agree on trying a different ink. Perhaps some Waterman.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

#4 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 20:03

Does ink collect in the feed's fins? I had that problem in an older M600 and decided that there was a hairline crack somewhere (although I never actually saw it).
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: m800, inkflow problem

Sponsored Content

|