Too Picky? Leather Notebook

Voidsherpa

Got this in the mail today and two things jumped out at me right away, the makers mark is about 5* crooked and the stitching rolled the edge right by it so it sticks up about half a mm. Kinda irked me given the price, although everything else is stellar about it. Is this being too picky? Makers mark isn't exactly hidden even when there is a notebook in it so I feel as if it should be relatively straight.

http://i64.tinypic.com/9hsux5.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• Parker51

• T4TEXAS

• Voidsherpa

Well first :W2FPN:

Why not contact Gfeller and discuss it with them. QC is normally a high priority with this type vendor. Give them a chance to make it right.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

If it was purchased as a first, then it shouldn't look that way for certain. A select second, well then it's not very bad.

Why not contact Gfeller and discuss it with them. QC is normally a high priority with this type vendor. Give them a chance to make it right.

Was looking to get a general consensus before I proceeded one way or another.

If it was purchased as a first, then it shouldn't look that way for certain. A select second, well then it's not very bad.

As far as I know since I paid full price, and do not recall them offering select/non-select.

Yes, talk to them. They have a very good reputation. And do letus know what comes of it.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I took a look at their website and the breadth of their products is noteworthy.

Personally, I prefer products of a somewhat different style and color for work to accompany a Montblanc, Parker 51, Parker 75 or other pen designed with Professional use in mind.

I have a black padfolio from MkKinley Leather Products of Marion, Ohio.

They are for me a local producer and their finely crafted products are to my taste. The padfolio I have and use daily is about twenty years old or so. Yes, it has a little wear, but much less than one would think and it still looks great.

I also have a padfolio from Duluth Pack, and it is a bit more rugged, good for away from work. It is more a fun product, though actually more rugged. I match it with more fun pens that are a bit lower in cost and appropriate for an outdoor setting.

Gfeller are fantastic people albeit slow to respond to emails at times. I have about six of their covers and recommend their products with much confidence. I agree that your finish is not quite perfect and I would certainly let them know. I am sure they will respond professionally. Please let us know how you go.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

This doesn't seem to be up to their QC standards I had a similar problem with a K&H bag and had it replaced for free after emailing them the pictures. Try contacting them with the pic and I'm sure they'll replace it. :)

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib

@OP I think you're being a little too obsessive.

Leather products are meant to be imperfect. That's the charm of them. You should celebrate the item as is, and watch it grow old with you and develop a nice patina as the leather darkens and gets shiny.

I'd be on your side if the cover didn't fit the intended item properly, too tight or too loose. Then I would probably give them a call. Something like that would warrant a request for an exchange or a return. But otherwise, I'd say accept the item as it is and enjoy it.

That's just my opinion.

I own several Gfeller covers and I enjoy them all. I would drive myself crazy if I started obsessing about minor (in my view) things.

Edited by pepsiplease69

@OP I think you're being a little too obsessive.

Leather products are meant to be imperfect. That's the charm of them. You should celebrate the item as is, and watch it grow old with you and develop a nice patina as the leather darkens and gets shiny.

I'd be on your side if the cover didn't fit the intended item properly, too tight or too loose. Then I would probably give them a call. Something like that would warrant a request for an exchange or a return. But otherwise, I'd say accept the item as it is and enjoy it.

That's just my opinion.

I own several Gfeller covers and I enjoy them all. I would drive myself crazy if I started obsessing about minor (in my view) things.

I agree if you're talking leather markings for example but both the problems displayed here are rather poor manufacturing finishes (very rare for Gfeller). Gfeller sell as premium products and I think I would be disappointed if that was my notebook and it would annoy the heck out of me. Minor issues? Of course. But I would expect better of Gfeller.

Edited by inkypete

I wouldn't accept it if it was sold as a 1st quality item. I would advise you the same way as the majority of people who have answered. I wouldn't be able to live with it as it is.

Again, just talk to them.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Steve and his crew make everything by hand. There are some templates and the parts are cut with precision dies. From there assembly and finish are manual, totally hands on. You can see Steve at work the video I shot for him "What's Your Moleskine In?"

I am a huge fan of Gfellers' products and Steve is a friend. The quirks in your piece are exactly what I love about and expect in superbly handmade articles. And Steve understands the imperfections and variation of handcrafts, which separates art from the work of machines. Your cover is like no one else's. However, you may not like what you have received. You can probably return the object for a full refund. But I think you will regret that decision in a few months.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Steve and his crew make everything by hand. There are some templates and the parts are cut with precision dies. From there assembly and finish are manual, totally hands on. You can see Steve at work the video I shot for him "What's Your Moleskine In?"

I am a huge fan of Gfellers' products and Steve is a friend. The quirks in your piece are exactly what I love about and expect in superbly handmade articles. And Steve understands the imperfections and variation of handcrafts, which separates art from the work of machines. Your cover is like no one else's. However, you may not like what you have received. You can probably return the object for a full refund. But I think you will regret that decision in a few months.

Big fan too - have seven different Gfeller products and love them all. But the rolled edge would annoy me too. Makers mark off line - meh. Just contact them. I am sure they will fix, replace or refund. I have no doubt.