The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Need Replacement For Diamine Blue/black And Majestic Blue

diamine majectic blue blue black

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ahmet

Ahmet

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:44

Hi;

Bought eight 30ml bottles of Diamine inks some time ago, have troubles since the begining.

I got Pelikan, Waterman, Sailor inks usually happy with them but Diamine. When i just bought

them, most of them were too wet. Bleedthrough almost on all papers, worst was Pilot MR

medium nib, it was blotting while writing.

After 2 years sitting in a drawer with caps firmly tightened, now they are not as wet as before.

But colors shifted (most noticable is Oxblood) and now they are drier. Even Majestic Blue

clogs TWSBI Classic frequently.

Anyway i like Diamine's colors, price is good, but  got enough trouble with them.

Desperately looking for replacements especially for Diamine Blue/Black (a nice old looking blue-black with green hue) and Majestic Blue. Any suggestion wellcomed.

Sponsored Content

#2 martinbir

martinbir

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2016 - 16:40

This does not answer your question, but I am intrigued. I have many bottles of Diamine, some up to 5 years old and they all seem unchanged.

Is it a matter of climate? I am in UK and it seems you, ahmet_yuce are in Turkey - obviously much hotter and, I would guess, drier.

Or might it have more to do with storage? My inks are kept in boxes where supplied (so not for Diamine 30ml) and in a drawer.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but can anyone throw any light on this? After all, it may actually provide a solution to the original problem.

#3 Ahmet

Ahmet

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2016 - 20:24

I live in Istanbul. Not as humid as U.K. but definetely not a dry climate. %50-%70 Rh humidity is normal for my home. I also kept the inks in their original plastic bottles, on a bookshelf which have doors. Direct sunlight can't reach them.

I bought this Diamine set directly from U.K. they should be fresh when i bought. I got lamy, sheaffer, pilot, sailor, scricss. Scricss's ( a local brand) i have, really wet pens, just put them aside. But diamine was disappointingly too wet almost with all. Honestly didn't check sherwood green and chocolate brown recently. But 4 blue shades are just right now, perhaps there is a volatile compound which provides wetness and vaporized by the time. After all there is no rubber seal on 30cc plastic bottles' cap.

Blue's more or less same. Most noticable color shift occured on oxblood, shifted to brown a little. Sailor Oku-Yama is my current replacement for oxblood. I need someting similar to Diamine's blue black.

Edited by ahmet_yuce, 12 October 2016 - 20:29.

#4 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:33

You might want to check out Jetpens blue-black ink comparison page. it has some really useful information including the overall color shift.

http://www.jetpens.c...mparison/pt/767

#5 SallyLyn

SallyLyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 14:21

As a thought, add a drop of water or water and hand dishwashing soap ...for the soap just the amount you'd get on the tip of a safety pin, not a full drop... to some of your ink you have put in a separate container. One or both of those can add lubricants to your ink. If you use a needle/syringe to fill your pen can use the syringe to add the water and its tip to get the tiny bit of soap.

Do not add these to your actual bottles of ink as any miss calculation messes the entire bottle. A good shaking of your inks could help with the color and lubricants.

#6 vojtahlad

vojtahlad

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 22:14

Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris can be a usable replacement for Diamine Blue-Black. Yet another candidate is Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black but this ink is visibly lighter.

Edited by vojtahlad, 13 October 2016 - 22:15.

#7 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 22:29

Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris can be a usable replacement for Diamine Blue-Black.

That's the one I thought about, at least in some scans the Diamine looke close. Verdigris is drop dead gorgeous.

On some scans majestic blue looks purple, assuming a Blue with deep purple tones, Asa Gao could work.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#8 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 23:14

Diamine Majestic Blue is very very blue with red sheen. I don't see it leaning towards purple, teal, or baby blue. What comes to mind are PR Electric Blue and Supershow Blue but you can alsocheck out the Parker Penman Sapphire thread for more.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#9 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:34

Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris can be a usable replacement for Diamine Blue-Black. Yet another candidate is Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black but this ink is visibly lighter.

I agree that Verdigris is wonderful ink, very dark and rich.   

#10 Ahmet

Ahmet

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 19:01

Verdigris seems close to Diamine blue black, Diamine could be just a little darker. Any similar colors in iroshizuku range ? I think 4001 BB light in comparison.

I'm keeping eye on Asa-Gao for a brilliant blue. I can't see asa-gao samples in real, but i bleive majestic blue is different Asa-Gao. Asa-Gao seems to lean towards purple but majestic is just blue.

Edit : Checked Verdigris reviews in FPN, seems really great and close enough to Diamine BB in some scans. The only drawback availibity and price.

Edited by ahmet_yuce, 14 October 2016 - 19:27.

#11 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 20:27

How does Levenger Cobalt compare to Diamine Majestic Blue?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#12 Ahmet

Ahmet

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 21:46

When check the reviews Levenger Cobalt seems more violet in comparison to majestic blue. BTW found a local seller for R&K 9.5$ per bottle, postage included.

#13 Abner C. Kemp

Abner C. Kemp

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:20

Akkerman Shocking Blue should be a pretty good match for Majestic Blue. Private Reserve American Blue would also be close. Both might be very slightly lighter but are quite close and have the red sheen. 

The blue black is tougher because you like the green component. Montblanc Blue Hour was a limited edition release which I think you would like very much (and I've seen a few bottles around), of course it is not cost efficient and will not be around for very much longer, it does lean more green than the Diamine ink though. 

Edited by Abner C. Kemp, 18 October 2016 - 01:21.

#14 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:01

I live in an environment that is classified as "semi-arid". We get about 23 inches of rainfall annually here. (~59 cm) Diamine Blue Black is one of my favorites. I have never had the problem you describe. I wonder if you have perhaps had some evaporation? If so the water suggestion is a good one. My bottles are the 80 ml bottles.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#15 Ahmet

Ahmet

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:44

Bought a bottle of Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris last week. Tested  Lamy Safari Fine / Diamine Blue Black vs  Pilot MR Medium/R&K Verdigris. Depending on paper they seems almost the same or slightly different. When the letters are fresh, Verdigris noticably leans to green/teal in comparison to diamine. As it dries green component fades a little. Perhaps because of different pens, verdigris is darker.

Runnin_Ute does 80ml bottles have rubber seal in the cap ?

Attached Images

• A.jpg

#16 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:37

I don't think they are the same. Isn't R&K Verdigris a permanent (waterproof) ink?

#17 BayesianPrior

BayesianPrior

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:08

I don't think they are the same. Isn't R&K Verdigris a permanent (waterproof) ink?

I would be excited if that were the case, but I've checked a few reviews and the consensus appears to be fairly weak water resistance for Verdigris.

bayesianprior.png

#18 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:11

-  Jentle Blue-Black (hope you like the smell of phenol).

-  MB's or GvFC's Royal Blue, or (to be scathing but of course not too caustic), any such blue as long as it doesn't take a month or two to dry on paper. Don't worry about the price of GvFC: the ink in those best-formed 75-ml bottles comes in at only 10% more per ml than MB does.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#19 Ahmet

Ahmet

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:41

They are not the same, but on poor quality paper, difference is less visible. Regarding waterproofness, verdigris erased out with a few drops of water. Diamine blue-black is not waterproof either, but just a little more resistant.

Edited by Ahmet, 25 October 2016 - 12:56.

#20 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:32

Akkerman Shocking Blue should be a pretty good match for Majestic Blue. Private Reserve American Blue would also be close. Both might be very slightly lighter but are quite close and have the red sheen. 

The blue black is tougher because you like the green component. Montblanc Blue Hour was a limited edition release which I think you would like very much (and I've seen a few bottles around), of course it is not cost efficient and will not be around for very much longer, it does lean more green than the Diamine ink though. 

Shocking Blue is Majestic Blue with an additive. The bottle is AMAZING and worth the money.  You might also like the Akkerman Blue Black which is also a Diamine Ink.

Check out the swabs in the in the links in my signature.  Once you find a color that you like, check out the reviews.  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine, majectic blue, blue black

Sponsored Content

|