Bought My Holy Grail Pen Today

pelikandrew

Well it arrived today, and apparently UPS has some new feature called "follow my delivery" which lets me obsessively watch the truck in route on a map view. Which I did. I altered my plans on my day off just to be here for the delivery.

I didn't understand the full beauty of this pen until I held it. The weight (to me) is perfect!, and the feel of the silver. I usually prefer to post the (non Toledo) M800 size pen (specifically my M805) but the added weight of the silver makes this one seem a tiny bit top heavy, and besides, I fear posting will wear down the beautiful silver details - so I won't post this one. Balance is fantastic, unposted.

This pen exceeded my expectations. I had planned to make it my daily driver, but right now I'm scared to - that's how beautiful it is. So until I relax a bit, it will probably be babied and I'll make the M805 the daily pen. I suppose I'll eventually get there, but for now, I'm too much in awe to just stick this thing in the shirt pocket.

Pelikan Brilliant Brown eagerly awaiting UPS brown:

IMG_9434_w.jpg

After opening the outer boxes I find the very nice inner:

IMG_9437_w.jpg

Opening it up reveals this beautiful piece (I removed the plastic sleeve already):

DSC_0020_w.jpg

Uncap to reveal the green:

DSC_0022_w.jpg

Pelikan feeding the young:

DSC_0026_w.jpg

Detail. I prefer the "jovial" looking bird on the silver M910 to the other design on the gold M900:

IMG_9440_w.jpg

IMG_9442_w.jpg

Finally putting it on paper. Credit to Dixon Lanier Merritt (nope not Ogden Nash, apparently):

IMG_9445_w.jpg

Edited by pelikandrew

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pelikandrew

• Erik Dalton

• FOUR X FOUR

• mcorrea

Wow. I'm thinking Ruth speaks the (t)ruth :D

I'll second that from Ruth....welcome to the group. Don't worry about doing something crazy having to do with fountain pens, you've fallen in with a gang of crazies here. We are all infected. You're going to fit in just fine.

Congrats on the Toledo. Tell me are you going to use it or keep it new in a box or case?

I'll second that from Ruth....welcome to the group. Don't worry about doing something crazy having to do with fountain pens, you've fallen in with a gang of crazies here. We are all infected. You're going to fit in just fine.

Congrats on the Toledo. Tell me are you going to use it or keep it new in a box or case?

I will be using. This pen will not sit new in box. I bought this pen to use and enjoy. I'll use carefully, but will absolutely make this a user. For now, a special occasions user, and will let the M805 blue stripe be the daily user.... but this Toledo will be used and enjoyed.

I spent loads of time tonight opening the box and holding and writing with this pen, and I'm still in disbelief. This pen is way too good for me. And I'll enjoy every bit of it. My first reaction to this pen ~10 years ago was no way would I ever buy something like that. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Hi Pelikandrew!

Welcome to FPN and Congratulations on your grail acquisition. I'm a newbie here too :) Those are some beautiful photos you have posted up there. I especially loved the 'Pelikan Brilliant Brown eagerly awaiting UPS brown'. That is one seriously nice looking pen. With a beautiful looking nib too!

By the looks of the writing sample, I can see that the pen must be writing beautifully. Enjoy the pen!

Cheers!

Welcome to FPN.

Im also new to the forum and to Fountain pens. Got caught while in Japan browsing Takashimaya and stumbled upon the Pelikan M800 Grand Place. Thought it was a lot of money to spend on a pen but couldnt help my self.

Now im the happy owner and enjoying every second of writing with it.

It has been years since I have been writing because of the conveniency of computers. But this is back to basics of writing and I love the fact that you really have time to think about what you are writing and why.

I bought a couple of books to learn more about Pens.

I get the feeling it is not the last money I will be spending on pens

Hi Pelikandrew! Welcome to FPN and greetings from Detroit, Michigan.

It is so awesome that you caught a pic of the UPS guy pulling up with your grail pen. I was getting excited just viewing the pics!

Your grail pen is beautiful. Good choice. I'm also thinking that the M800 Grand Place deserves a place in my collection...another gorgeous Pelikan.

I look forward to your future posts. Enjoy your time here.

Mary

Such a beautiful pen!

I have an m700 and used to have an m900 too. I found the bigger brother a bit too heavy to use so I parted with that one.

Whatever the size it may be those engravings are just so beautiful. After several years of owning many Pelikans and despite subsequently losing interest in this brand, toledo is still one of the few that still remain in my colleciton.

Congratulations and use it in good health and fortune.

Welcome to FPN.

Im also new to the forum and to Fountain pens. Got caught while in Japan browsing Takashimaya and stumbled upon the Pelikan M800 Grand Place. Thought it was a lot of money to spend on a pen but couldnt help my self.

Now im the happy owner and enjoying every second of writing with it.

It has been years since I have been writing because of the conveniency of computers. But this is back to basics of writing and I love the fact that you really have time to think about what you are writing and why.

I bought a couple of books to learn more about Pens.

I get the feeling it is not the last money I will be spending on pens

Congrats on acquiring the Grand Place, such a beautiful pen - next on my wish list. What a color combo.

Just have to say thanks to all for the warm welcomes. I wasn't expecting such a volume of welcoming responses and I appreciate each one.

As my tastes change, so does what I consider Grail. I used to think of it as my super expensive pens. Now, I think of Grail in terms of durability.

The 2 pens I consider Grail are my Visconti Homo sapiens Lava, and my LAMY 2000 Mak and my LAMY 2000 steel