Any Good Parker Jotter Stories?

Flippy

i love hearing these types of stories. i remember the time i tried to erase scratches off my jotter with oil and some hard kitchen sponge, only to make it worse. :yikes:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flippy

• Studio97

• RMN

• IvoryParker

A story? Well I scored a handful of new Parker jotters on a clearance sale for $1.00 ea. New. Made in France. I never asked why they were reduced.

A story? Well I scored a handful of new Parker jotters on a clearance sale for $1.00 ea. New. Made in France. I never asked why they were reduced.

My Parker jotter

I acquired my first jotter in 1996 when I was 9 years old. It was a black jotter. It was basically something that I found lying around at home (only now do I appreciate that it was a catalyst for fine pens) I was shattered when I lost it that same year. Slowly, but surely it was erased from my memory. Fast forward to March 2016, I was in the process of moving house and clearing my belongings. Astride the dining room window, in the sand lay this black object. My mind raced as I thought it could not be. Through a rollercoaster of childhood memories to adolesence, to being a teenager and now a man it sent shivers down my spine! I dug it out and there layed my first parker jotter. 20 years buried in the sand... a rusted spring and refill inside. I tried my best to salvage the spring but it was to far gone. I cleaned up the pen. The once glossy black barrel is now matte, faded and a testament to the elements. Now it lies in my pen cabinet as a reminder of my childhood never to be used again but a memento for my first love of pens. To this day I will never leave home without a Parker jotter in my breast pocket.

In Med school we were told the Parker Jotter was one tool every physician should have for emergency tracheotomy in case someone would be choking on some food. You had to extend the refill, and jam it home, then unscrew the click-end and remove the refill leave the barrel in the throat. Would be just enough air not to suffocate.while waiting for an ambulance. Never had to perform that trick...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 1 month later...

Every time I got a Jotter, it disappeared within a week.

I'm serious.

I don't know what it was with that pen, but every time I bought one, it would disappear off my desk or out of my purse within a few days. Sometimes I lost them. Other times, they would be swiped off my desk at work or school.

Every.

Single.

Time.

I stopped buying them, because I couldn't hang onto them!

• 3 months later...

Every time I got a Jotter, it disappeared within a week.

I'm serious.

I don't know what it was with that pen, but every time I bought one, it would disappear off my desk or out of my purse within a few days. Sometimes I lost them. Other times, they would be swiped off my desk at work or school.

Every.

Single.

Time.

I stopped buying them, because I couldn't hang onto them!

I lost 2 Parker Jotters that way.

In Janesville, Wisconsin the local penny paper was the Jotter and my mom and I it delivered after her work. I graduated GS Parker High School in '78 and with your diploma presentation you got a free Jotter in school colors and a handshake from a Parker VP (who's child was also graduating that day; Roger Axtell in my case).

I don't recall ever seeing a biro/bic at the checkout ( but back then the plant was 100%) and everyONE had a jotter in their pocket purse. In fact a Field Notes and a Jotter were expected. I don't have 100s like some but I have one or two at every point where I need to write.

For pleasure I write with Fpens. For function I still write with my Jotters.

PS: I worked at the GM Janesville plant and there were Bics at the form/data collection stations as a multi use pen. If the pen was in your pocket it was Parker. Exec to sweeper.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

• 3 weeks later...

I once knew a neurologist born in India, and he had told me that as a child he wanted just three things to know he was a success.

1. A Mercedes

2. A Blaupunkt Radio

3. A Parker Pen in his pocket.

He smiling winked, and said he made it! ;) :rolleyes:

My full story on the whole thing:

One day, when I was 11, I received a Parker Jotter (SS) for Christmas. I was excited because I always wanted one. Unfortunately, a few days later, I got scratches on it. Being the clueless and OCD me, I tried to erase the scratches on the Jotter with a metal dishrag, only to make things worse.

I gave up on the Jotter, and stored it away.

However, I recently lost another SS Jotter, and I was upset. Luckily, I remembered my old Jotter, and started using it. Once again, I fell in love with it. I did damage the tip when I dropped it on concrete, but I fixed it. :D

I recently purchased a box of mixed pens at an auction of what had been the possessions of a 98 year old person. Included in it were a lot of old advertising pens, a few mechanical pencil, some fountain pens and a few Jotters. Much to my surprise one of the Jotters had a functional cartridge. I have gotten Fountain Pens before which have only needed a little cleaning and ink to get going with very old parts, but never a ball point before. I checked it over and the cartridge was made in the USA. Given the age of of the other items I guess that the cartridge has been in that pen from 40 to 50 years and hadn't been written with for at least 30. It writes now, flawlessly and is currently in my breast pocket with an equally old Fountain Pen (Sheafffer PFM). The color of the ink appears to be the same as Parker Washable Blue and I am wondering if perhaps I should save it as I don't believe current Parker Jotter cartridges come in that color anymore.