• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cob

• missuslovett

• mirosc

• Mon34480

Second and third that: Hahahahahaha!!!

Edit to add:

Mirosc - your comment on the other thread about Firebreakline setting high Buy In Now prices to encourage silly bidding later was pretty much what I thought. There are a couple of other Ebay sellers who employ this same tactic. A kind of 'look how much this pen's worth', before offering it again in a bidding war.

Edited by missuslovett

I knew someone who paid £400 for a pink snakeskin, around 6 years ago, top money but she would not be dissuaded.

This was from Penfriend in Burlington Arcade.

Have you guys seen the London Pen Show pics?

Another laugh - another dreamer...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172365733287?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No bids! I wonder why?

Cob

I can just see the story behind this one;

I know nothing about fountain pens, a quick search of Swan throws up Firebreakline asking £400 and so I will sell mine at a bargain £200.

I have lost count at the amount of times I have heard someone claim their price was a bargain because they have seen a similar pen selling for £££££ more.

I have lost count at the amount of times I have heard someone claim their price was a bargain because they have seen a similar pen selling for £££££ more.

Unfortunately many people cannot grasp the concept that selling does not mean sold and use the selling price to evaluate the price of their items. Many sellers ive seen simply price around what others are selling for (which include highballers) not realising that a quick sold or complete listings search would reveal that they are highballing through the roof.

Another joker - never mind "the part of the cap missing" - have a look at the nib!!

Well, he correctly states that the nib is clean :P

seriously: At least he makes sure that there is no doubt about the nib, he describes it clearly enough.

Greetings,

Michael

Well, he correctly states that the nib is clean :P

seriously: At least he makes sure that there is no doubt about the nib, he describes it clearly enough.

All true, but starting bid £18 (albeit with free postage)?

What would you pay? Me? I'd say a fiver for the bits that might just be useful.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Here's another optimist. Even though this is an outstanding pen, I'm not sure the Buy It Now price reflects reality. He seems to have an inexhaustible supply of really beautiful pens but I wonder how many of these monsters he's sold at those prices?

Update on this: the seller has now re-listed the pen and stated that they are hard to find (they really are not), and in addition to this has changed the settings on his/her account so that bidder identities are now private. Does that strike anyone else here as being somewhat suspect?

I am not sure about "suspect" but it is certainly curious.

As a matter of interest, has the starting price gone North?

Rgds

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Another of my 'favourite' sellers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331996769192?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Excellent, restored condition” apart from the broken clip, bent nib and generally knocked about condition. Nicely polished though.

Oh dear oh dear; although it's not red I have a possibly better Unique than that on my window sill - with all the other pens that are er, waiting!

And what exactly does "near mint" mean? Just a bent nib and clip &c.

Extraordinary isn't it?

EDIT. I just had a look at the Unique - it is even further away from "Mint" than the one mentioned above - Memory - whoops!

Cob

Edited by Cob

At the London show, there was a guy with a red snakeskin with a price sticker on it. Very nice. How much?

850?

Are you sure? You mean eight hundred and fifty?

yes... quite a rare pen, have you ever seen one with a price band?