Pelikan M800 Trivia Question

crowapproach

I remember reading (or hearing?) somewhere that one prominent pen expert considered the Pelikan m800 to be the perfect fountain pen in terms of design, aesthetic, and writing ability. I haven't formed an opinion about that myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of who or where I might have heard that from. My hunch was that it was written in a book about fountain pens, though I'm not entirely sure. It's been on my mind for a few days now, so I'm eager to receive help in finding the answer!

Some of this trivia hunt is probably just me excited for my new M800 in brown tortoise to arrive in the mail, but oh well. :D

Edited by crowapproach

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Lam1

• DrCodfish

• cellardoor04

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have a new M800 Tortoise on it's way, you might enjoy watching Dr. Stephen Brown's video (google: "SBRE Brown Fountain pen reviews," you can select "Pelikan M800 Tortoise" from his site, to hear him extoll the virtues of same.

It was in this video that I heard him reference the quote you remember. He says, "My favorite author of a book on fountain pens, "Fountain Pens, A Collector's Guide," Peter Twydle, calls the M800, THE PEN."

It was from watching the above mentioned video, recorded August 24, 2014, that I decided I HAD to have this pen. By the time I watched the video, they were becoming a bit harder to find & Pelikan was no longer offering BBB nibs, so I contented myself with a BB. I am glad you have this pen to look forward to; I am sure you will enjoy it.

I am a huge M800 fan here, however I am not comfortable with absolute truths. What works for someone, might not work for the next person. For me a pelikan M800 is the ideal fountain pen and it works great (only problem is its cost...) But that doesnt mean this works for all people and just because an "expert" said it, it doesnt have to be true... Have fun with your tortoise...

To me the 800 would be a pen I'd have to get use too, in it is Large and Clunky. If the person writing that BS, is young, then he grew up with Large and Clunky pens thinking them the norm.

I grew up in the day of light and nimble well balanced Standard and medium-large pens and think them the norm.

I had the pleasure of a few days of use of a W. Germany 800 with the great springy 'true' regular flex nib. That W.Germany one I'd buy....but having tried the modern nail, would not even think of buying a modern one.

Any fountain pen begins with what you want the nib to do. If you want a firm nib, and a awkward pen there are many.

I prefer light and nimble well balanced Standard and Medium-large pens ... posted for the great balance and a more lively nib of yore.

So my perfection could be a Standard back weighted semi-flex MB 234 1/2, a silver P-75 or a thin medium-large semi-flex Geha 725....or others of that era; medium-large 400NN is very well balanced too. P-51 or a modern Pelikan 600. A Vac has great balance also.

(After two years of going Hummm between the standard sized 400 and the medium-large 400nn, the 400nn won the best balance question.)

The Snorkel shocked me..... :huh: :o :yikes: It is a Large pen, but being thin, is not the least clunky and being of an era where a pen HAD to be very well balanced; it is!. :notworthy1: :puddle:

The Snorkel is the only Large pen I've tried that has balance worth speaking well of. The rest and I must have 10 Large modern pens, lack great balance. My '50's medium-large 146 has better balance by far than the '70s&later Large 146. Of my Large pens, (outside the Snorkel of course) the 146 is perhaps the best balanced of them....It is not a pen I reach for first. It does have better balance than the 800.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

"I remember reading (or hearing?) somewhere that one prominent pen expert considered the Pelikan m800 to be the perfect fountain pen in terms of design, aesthetic, and writing ability."

That was me!! Ok maybe I'm not the Prominent pen expert, but I certainly believe that the M800 is the perfect fountain pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Actually, if you read Mr. Twydle's book, he says that he uses the M800 primarily as a desk pen, or occasionally in the pocket to "impress". He goes on to state that the pen is a bit large for every day carry. I tend to agree. The M400-600 are more suited for pocket carry and the M800 needs a case... mine is reserved for desk duty.

"I remember reading (or hearing?) somewhere that one prominent pen expert considered the Pelikan m800 to be the perfect fountain pen in terms of design, aesthetic, and writing ability."

That was me!! Ok maybe I'm not the Prominent pen expert, but I certainly believe that the M800 is the perfect fountain pen!

It might be for you. It's way too big and heavy for me -- I have little girly hands. For me, OTOH, the M400s are a perfect size, and my M200s (same size but not 14K nibs) are almost as good. The only downside to the M200s are that I don't think the nibs are quite as expressive (my 1990s era M400 has some give to the nib, whereas the M200 from the same time period is a nail -- a smooth nail, but a nail nonetheless). And the M200 Café Crèmes had to have a bit of tuning work done on the B nibs, but are good pens otherwise. But the M400 is just dreamy to write with. And the vintage 400 with the OB nib is lots of fun.

YMMV....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, I've had much better luck with my late to my collection, 200's.

My 200's match my '90-96 (in it is tortoise 400 ('83-96 for tortoise), Celebry's (in both gold and steel), and 38X/39X? nibs of that era. I have a modern 215, an Amethyst and W.Germany one.

All of those are springy 'true' regular flex. And a 150 with similar nib. It appears I'm not the semi-flex snob I once was. :rolleyes: :)

I had a hand full of 400/140's so "didn't need" a 200 and had then been more interested in semi&maxi.

Because there were German Idiots that refused to ship to England, ended up sending some steel 200's nibs to England for a pal. They impressed me. I finally broke down and got a nice used 215. The nib was as good as those I'd been mailing.

I have heard of others not so lucky as I, and ending up with a stiffer 200 nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I always thought the 800 was too large until I bought the tortoise. Now, I have three.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I'm not sure that the "perfect" fountain pen has ever been created. This is such a subjective thing and one persons perfect is another's horrible. I have really come to appreciate the M800 for all of the above reasons but I understand many would disagree.

Find your own perfect. I hope the M800 tortoise does it for you. It's an amazing pen. Enjoy it!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have a weakness for burgundy and tortoise coloured pens. My latest is a Sailor 1911 in tortoise. It's sooo hard to say no. I was late to pick up on the M 800 tortoise, then they got hard to find, and more expensive. It took a couple years, but I finally found one and I love it. It's my favorite, of all my M 800's.

As a writing pen the M-800 is built like a tank, solid, dependable, and it looks good too.

But, I have to admit to being fickled. Sometimes I go for the M-800, sometimes it's the MB 146.

They are different, but I like them both, and I have one of them inked up at any given time.

The quote you are thinking of comes from Peter Twydle in his book Fountain Pens (Crowood Press, 2009). On p.145 in answering the question Which is the best fountain pen in the world? he say it is the M800. He also says the M800 is the pen by which all others should be judged. Though he does admit it is a little on the large size for smaller hands

Like many have said, the concept of the perfect pen is subjective. My wife doesn't think the M800 fits the bill! For her it is the M200-M400 that is perfect.

But for what I want in a pen, the M800 is certainly the one that comes closest: perfect size, balance, shape, weight, filling system, looks and excellent nibs (I would like if at least some nibs had a little bit more springness and character - but no other modern pen I own has these).

The only thing in which they are far from perfect: You get addicted to them! And every time you have money to buy another pen, no matter how much you look around, you end up with another M800! :D :headsmack:

I hope you enjoy your M800 Tortoise, they are certainly great pens.

I'm not sure that the "perfect" fountain pen has ever been created. This is such a subjective thing and one persons perfect is another's horrible. I have really come to appreciate the M800 for all of the above reasons but I understand many would disagree.

Find your own perfect. I hope the M800 tortoise does it for you. It's an amazing pen. Enjoy it!

I respectfully disagree, it has been created and it's called the Moonlight. :P

The M800 is definitely my perfect pen, as evidenced by 6 out of my 9 pens being M800s. The size, girth, and weight just come together seamlessly to fit my hand and make writing a pleasure. The beauty of my collection is definitely the Tortoise - it is truly a stunning pen, and I'm sure you will enjoy it! Of course, this size and weight of pen isn't for everyone, many prefer smaller or larger, heavier or lighter pens. That's the fun of this hobby, there's something for everyone :)

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I think when/which era one comes from has most to do with what pen is perfect.

I come from the light and nimble well balanced Standard/Medium-large era.....so find out side the Snorkel all Large pens to be a tad to real clunky.

I guess those who had the misfortune to grow up in the later era of Large clunky pens think them normal....(or those with professional basketball-er hands ,,,,need larger pens).

Posted standard or medium-large pens are longer than non posted Large pens. Posted Large pens are ill balanced; outside the Snorkel which has great balance posted.

There are standard pens with more girth, the MB 234 1/2 & some of the medium-large Osmia pens. The Pelikan 600 has a nice girth, and is so much more nimble than the 800.

I have a couple and they are nice. What I like about them is that they have those features of Pelikan which I most value: Interchangeable nibs, a fabulous, almost fool proof filling system, which both lend to very simple cleaning of the pen. But I find the M800 a bit big for EDC. My Goldilocks pen is the M600. I love the M400s and the classic 100's and 101's, but for me the M600 is the sweet spot. So glad they will soon be releasing a Tortoise M600!

If you have a new M800 Tortoise on it's way, you might enjoy watching Dr. Stephen Brown's video (google: "SBRE Brown Fountain pen reviews," you can select "Pelikan M800 Tortoise" from his site, to hear him extoll the virtues of same.

It was in this video that I heard him reference the quote you remember. He says, "My favorite author of a book on fountain pens, "Fountain Pens, A Collector's Guide," Peter Twydle, calls the M800, THE PEN."

It was from watching the above mentioned video, recorded August 24, 2014, that I decided I HAD to have this pen. By the time I watched the video, they were becoming a bit harder to find & Pelikan was no longer offering BBB nibs, so I contented myself with a BB. I am glad you have this pen to look forward to; I am sure you will enjoy it.

Yes! That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, Barkingpig. :D

I've been playing around with the M800 tortoise this week and it is indeed quite the phenomenal writer. Much larger than I expected, but not heavy by my standards. The medium smooth writes smoother than any of my other pens (wow). Definitely not what I'm used to, but it's really growing on me! Who knew pens could get any smoother? There may not be a truly perfect pen out there, but at the least I'm happy to have this one in the family now.

I have a couple and they are nice. What I like about them is that they have those features of Pelikan which I most value: Interchangeable nibs, a fabulous, almost fool proof filling system, which both lend to very simple cleaning of the pen. But I find the M800 a bit big for EDC. My Goldilocks pen is the M600. I love the M400s and the classic 100's and 101's, but for me the M600 is the sweet spot. So glad they will soon be releasing a Tortoise M600!

It really is convenient to clean and maintenance. I can also see the M800 being too big for some people, but I suppose that's why Pelikan has the wide variety of sizes (for every and any hand!) I'm curious to try the M600 size now.

By chance where did you hear about the M600 Tortoise release? That would be irresistible. :o

Lam1, try to get a W.Germany 800. I had the pleasure of writing with one for a couple of days, and it has a very, very nice springy 'true' regular flex nib.

Some idiot in Germany wouldn't mail to Spain, so I trans-mailed.

Some day, and I don't see how...if my wallet is filled by my wandering money tree, it is the only 800 I'd buy.

Just for the nib.

I don't know when the 800 turned into a nail. I'd think it about the same time the nice regular flex M400....whose W.Germany nibs are rated better than the Germany @'90-97.

I'd let my arm get twisted for one of the '90's ones if only I could tell if it was a '90's with the as good as the M400 nib.

Penboard de.....might be a place where W. Germany 800 or '90's regular flex nibs could be had.