The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wahl-Eversharp Doric (2Nd Gen.) - In Need Of Repair Advice

wahl-eversharp doric repair

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 22:43

That half-demolished nib turned out to be a treasure! It's the most flexible nib I own and it's made the ringtop into a great drawing pen. I've heard many people describe this or that pen as "handling like a brush" but this nib truly has that quality.

So they're totally worth buying, if you run into one.

Edited by sidthecat, 01 February 2017 - 03:23.

Sponsored Content

#22 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 18:48

Update: we'll see if my advice is any good: I just bought another half-demolished Adjustable nib to fit onto another ringtop Doric. Wish me luck.

#23 Polanova

Polanova

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:47

Hey sidthecat, in your experience, is there a marked difference between a sliderless adjustable nib and having the slider on the most flexible position?

Just curious (not that i plan to rip off my slider  :P )

#24 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:49

Until Mr. Saperstein finishes work on my Airliner I can't say, because I've never used that nib with an intact slider. I have a Junior in Kashmir that came with a marvelous 18k needlepoint nib, but I suspect they're as rare as the Adjustable. I do find it interesting that an arguably broken nib can be so useful. Perhaps the slider functions as a flex inhibiter, but we'd need the experience of someone who's used the things both ways.

#25 jasonwentcrazy

jasonwentcrazy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:53

Same for me. I frequent estate sales and antique stores and and am drawn to vintage fountain pens. I will get the ones that I am in love with or that come for a great price or both and the Doric I have is a favorite.

db4Ri7P.jpg

After learning about it more I am glad I lucked out and found a less-common pen right from the start of really appreciating these things. 

My Doric is similar to yours and I think we have the same color. But our nibs are not the same. I have been able to use mine to some degree and the nib adjusts just as is expected and even though mine is a little bent [down] it writes and draws just great. 

20170409_043827.jpg

[And you take way better photos than I do.]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wahl-eversharp, doric, repair

Sponsored Content

|