Waterproof, Shading Not-Blue, Not-Black Ink?

Jocelyn

I'm looking for a waterproof ink that is not a black nor a blue (exception: turquoise works for me). Double points if it shades well with flex (or otherwise!)

I like snazzy inks and I'm getting really into flexing but I also

a) like to use my inks to address envelopes so need water resistant or proof

and

B) I do color-wash and "calligraphy" greeting cards and postcards and I'd like them to be waterproof when going through the mails, but I need non, neutral colors and I'm just sick of deep and dark blues. Basically, I like pinks, purples, reds, bright blues like turquoise, kelly and other bright greens, and so on...

BUT: please don't recommend anything that is Eternal or Bulletproof... basically if soap can't clean it off my hands, I'm not interested (plus I tend to spill a little).

So to sum up, what's a water-proof (or resistant) ink that's a color you would NEVER use at work? Extra points for good shading!

THANKS!

-Miss Inky Fingers-

aka

Jocelyn

Miss Inky Fingers

=====

Jocelyn

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jocelyn

• AndyYNWA

• graystranger

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

Sailor Nano Sei-boku is a lovely teal that shades and sheens really nice! And waterproof as well. It's one of my favourite inks.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Sailor Nano Sei-boku is a lovely teal that shades and sheens really nice! And waterproof as well. It's one of my favourite inks.

Thanks for the recommendation but the color isn't really a hit with me.

Miss Inky Fingers

=====

Jocelyn

Here are a few candidates for you:

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_noodlers_zhivago_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_scabiosa_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_noodlers_lexington_grey_swatch.jpg

Scabiosa is a wonderful ink that shades dramatically, even in a fine point pen. It is waterproof on paper but easy to flush.

No single writing sample will show what a unique ink it is, because it looks so different on different papers and also changes color over time.

I happen to use it all the time at work, but I would use any ink at work, so that factor shouldn't disqualify it.

My one reservation in recommending it for your application is that it changes color over time, usually from a dark purple to a dark, coppery lilac. I take pleasure in this effect whenever I look at notes that I wrote the year before, but I imagine that a person who paints is concerned with having not just the mark but its color persist indefinitely. I will be interested in hearing what others say.

Scabiosa is excellent, as recommended above. I would also use Parker Blue/Black, because it is a reverse iron gall: instead of darkening over time from blue to blue-black, it fades from navy blue to a shade of greenish blue or teal, depending on the paper you write on. It's not waterproof, but if it gets wet it will not become illegible

BUT: please don't recommend anything that is Eternal or Bulletproof... basically if soap can't clean it off my hands, I'm not interested (plus I tend to spill a little).

So to sum up, what's a water-proof (or resistant) ink that's a color you would NEVER use at work? Extra points for good shading!

THANKS!

-Miss Inky Fingers-

aka

Jocelyn

Jocelyn, Noodler's Bulletproof inks are chemically designed to bond with cellulose fibers over a few hours after first contact with the paper. Since skin is not cellulose, they aren't particularly hard to wash off. Some bulletproof inks wash off skin easier than non-water resistant inks. Each bulletproof ink is different, but none of the "bulletproof" inks are really any different to wash off your hands than other inks. Diamine Oxblood is totally washed off with water, and it is hard for me to get off my skin, maybe a lot harder than any of my bulletproof inks.

Lexington Gray as shown above is one of Brian Goulet's top 7 shading inks. It is totally bulletproof. Not a bright color. Black Swan in Australian Roses is also on Brian's list, however water washes out the lovely colored dyes leaving only the black component behind. Noodler's calls this "partially bulletproof". BSAR would work great for addressing envelopes, as water removes the color but the other dyes in the ink are quite legible.

I got a bottle of Scabiosa and put it in a pen/nib combination that is very wet. It shades very well, but was so dry in that normally wet pen that I got hardly any of the dark, rich color that Tas shows above. In a flex pen I think it would be fantastic. And it is totally waterproof, and dries quickly. I left it in my pen too long and it was a bit hard to clean out. Plus, the underside of the stainless steel nib was lightly etched by contact with the Scabiosa ink. I probably had it in the pen for a couple or three months. Flush it out every week or two and you will be fine.

The water proof ink I would never use at work is Noodler's Rachmaninoff. Very bright and eye catching, more than pink. Highly saturated, viscous. I recommend diluting it with distilled water. And don't leave the cap off your pen very long! Not hard to clean out, but it dries quickly in the nib (and on paper). NO SHADING AT ALL. But, it worked well in my Platinum Cool with a fine nib. I was using it for editing, making comments in the margin, underlining. Get a sample from Goulet Pens before you buy a bottle. You can add a good bit of distilled water without making this ink lighter. I put several drops of water in a Platinum cartridge about 3/4 full of Rachmaninoff, and it did not change how the ink looked on paper.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Scabiosa is a wonderful ink that shades dramatically, even in a fine point pen. It is waterproof on paper but easy to flush.

No single writing sample will show what a unique ink it is, because it looks so different on different papers and also changes color over time.

I happen to use it all the time at work, but I would use any ink at work, so that factor shouldn't disqualify it.

My one reservation in recommending it for your application is that it changes color over time, usually from a dark purple to a dark, coppery lilac. I take pleasure in this effect whenever I look at notes that I wrote the year before, but I imagine that a person who paints is concerned with having not just the mark but its color persist indefinitely. I will be interested in hearing what others say.

Good call, I'm already ordering a sample of it... cool that it changes over time, too!

Miss Inky Fingers

=====

Jocelyn

THANKS!

-Miss Inky Fingers-

aka

Jocelyn

Jocelyn, Noodler's Bulletproof inks are chemically designed to bond with cellulose fibers over a few hours after first contact with the paper. Since skin is not cellulose, they aren't particularly hard to wash off. Some bulletproof inks wash off skin easier than non-water resistant inks. Each bulletproof ink is different, but none of the "bulletproof" inks are really any different to wash off your hands than other inks. Diamine Oxblood is totally washed off with water, and it is hard for me to get off my skin, maybe a lot harder than any of my bulletproof inks.

Lexington Gray as shown above is one of Brian Goulet's top 7 shading inks. It is totally bulletproof. Not a bright color. Black Swan in Australian Roses is also on Brian's list, however water washes out the lovely colored dyes leaving only the black component behind. Noodler's calls this "partially bulletproof". BSAR would work great for addressing envelopes, as water removes the color but the other dyes in the ink are quite legible.

I got a bottle of Scabiosa and put it in a pen/nib combination that is very wet. It shades very well, but was so dry in that normally wet pen that I got hardly any of the dark, rich color that Tas shows above. In a flex pen I think it would be fantastic. And it is totally waterproof, and dries quickly. I left it in my pen too long and it was a bit hard to clean out. Plus, the underside of the stainless steel nib was lightly etched by contact with the Scabiosa ink. I probably had it in the pen for a couple or three months. Flush it out every week or two and you will be fine.

The water proof ink I would never use at work is Noodler's Rachmaninoff. Very bright and eye catching, more than pink. Highly saturated, viscous. I recommend diluting it with distilled water. And don't leave the cap off your pen very long! Not hard to clean out, but it dries quickly in the nib (and on paper). NO SHADING AT ALL. But, it worked well in my Platinum Cool with a fine nib. I was using it for editing, making comments in the margin, underlining. Get a sample from Goulet Pens before you buy a bottle. You can add a good bit of distilled water without making this ink lighter. I put several drops of water in a Platinum cartridge about 3/4 full of Rachmaninoff, and it did not change how the ink looked on paper.

LEARNING! Thanks for the clarification!

Miss Inky Fingers

=====

Jocelyn

THANKS!

-Miss Inky Fingers-

aka

Jocelyn

I've got a sample of Rachmaninoff sitting in my cart on Goulet too!

Miss Inky Fingers

=====

Jocelyn

KWZI Iron Gall Turquoise is a terrific ink that would work for your purposes.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain