Why It Is Really Hard To Buy A Single Japan Nib Unit Online?

WillyVanDerKuijlen

I think for most brands Montblanc, Pelikan, Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer, Aurora, Conway, Kaweco, Delta,Visconti, Hero, Lamy, it is easy to buy a nib online (even a vintage nib can also be found in store or online). But for all Japan brands, it is really an exception. Actually it is almost impossible to buy a single Japan pen nib unit online. And no one even disassemble a nib as a single unit from a broken pen and sell it online. Why?

Edited by WillyVanDerKuijlen

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WillyVanDerKuijlen

• Tinjapan

• Mew

• inkisdry

I don't know. I'd love to get a sailor broad nib. Hopefully this thread will bring out an expert on this.

Single units can be used in a custom pen, or someone who wants to switch nibs can use it for that purpose.

I know about Pilot only, don't have much idea about sailor or Platinum. Pilot does not sell loose nib units inside Japan. It has certain retailers who are authorised to sell nib units, but only outside Japan. The cost of these nib units is approximately equal to 90% of the cost of the pen.

I don't know. I'd love to get a sailor broad nib. Hopefully this thread will bring out an expert on this.

Thanks, actually it is really a good broad nib to practise english penmanship.

Single units can be used in a custom pen, or someone who wants to switch nibs can use it for that purpose.

I know about Pilot only, don't have much idea about sailor or Platinum. Pilot does not sell loose nib units inside Japan. It has certain retailers who are authorised to sell nib units, but only outside Japan. The cost of these nib units is approximately equal to 90% of the cost of the pen.

Yeah, so far I can only see pilot capless nib unit sold online(about 85 dollars). Maybe it is a way to protect their brands?

Maybe the Japanese pens don't break?

Of course, because Pilot pen's iridium point is really durable.(probably as good as Sheaffer vintage Balance)

Of course, because Pilot pen's iridium point is really durable.(probably as good as Sheaffer vintage Balance)

But Sheaffer had a worldwide distributorship with manufacturing in many different countries. The Japanese pens did not. The Western makers really were big extensive worldwide products while the Japanese market was at best, insular.

My Website

The only Japanese manufacturer that I know of that makes pens that have a nib unit that can be taken out is Sailor. Pilot and Platinum pens have nib units in them, but I'm pretty sure the nib/feed holders can't be taken out. Sailor does offer nib units in grip sections that are separate from the pen, but they only come in a super expensive box set that includes one of every nib. Custom pen makers or other companies, like Hakase and Taccia, can get the nib units but I'm pretty sure there's something in their agreement that prevents them from selling them individually. I know that if Taccia wants to use the Sailor nibs they have to use the sailor grip section. My guess as to why is that the customer service in Japan is pretty good and the shipping costs can be quite cheap so if people want to swap something they either just go into a store or mail it to the company to get it done. Or maybe the companies just want people to buy a whole pen so they can get more money.

Instagram: @Pactagon

were not sure why but consider this, when it comes to the Japanese pen companies, all of them seem like your paying for the nib, the nibs themselves cost as much as a pen <_< if you wanted nibs, back in the day Nakaya by proxy Platinum does sell nibs but change of policy happened, else with the time tested method of buying another pen with the nib choice you want and do the swap later, after all japanese pens have a friction fit nib and feed, and threaded nib units that are either friction fit or glued (Pilot, Sailor and Platinum).

but Pilot, Platinum and Sailor does sell nibs to other manufacturers case in point Kawakubo, Ohashido and Hakase are among the examples that get to use Pilot or Sailor nibs

yes I know Pilot Custom XX has threaded nib units because like sbrebrown I was able to get the nib unit out of my CH91 but Hakase if look at the pens made by the company he only gets the nib and feed from Pilot the collar is none existent

Edited by Algester

The only Japanese manufacturer that I know of that makes pens that have a nib unit that can be taken out is Sailor. Pilot and Platinum pens have nib units in them, but I'm pretty sure the nib/feed holders can't be taken out. Sailor does offer nib units in grip sections that are separate from the pen, but they only come in a super expensive box set that includes one of every nib. Custom pen makers or other companies, like Hakase and Taccia, can get the nib units but I'm pretty sure there's something in their agreement that prevents them from selling them individually. I know that if Taccia wants to use the Sailor nibs they have to use the sailor grip section. My guess as to why is that the customer service in Japan is pretty good and the shipping costs can be quite cheap so if people want to swap something they either just go into a store or mail it to the company to get it done. Or maybe the companies just want people to buy a whole pen so they can get more money.

Thanks, actually if Japanese want their Pilot pens' repair they must email in official website to make an appointment. But the process is so complex that many people may choose to buy a new one.

were not sure why but consider this, when it comes to the Japanese pen companies, all of them seem like your paying for the nib, the nibs themselves cost as much as a pen <_< if you wanted nibs, back in the day Nakaya by proxy Platinum does sell nibs but change of policy happened, else with the time tested method of buying another pen with the nib choice you want and do the swap later, after all japanese pens have a friction fit nib and feed, and threaded nib units that are either friction fit or glued (Pilot, Sailor and Platinum).

but Pilot, Platinum and Sailor does sell nibs to other manufacturers case in point Kawakubo, Ohashido and Hakase are among the examples that get to use Pilot or Sailor nibs

yes I know Pilot Custom XX has threaded nib units because like sbrebrown I was able to get the nib unit out of my CH91 but Hakase if look at the pens made by the company he only gets the nib and feed from Pilot the collar is none existent

Thanks for your advise,

Because I used to consider those three brands as Pelikan which has a high playability of changing nibs

_(:3」∠)_.

Thanks for your advise,

Because I used to consider those three brands as Pelikan which has a high playability of changing nibs

_(:3」∠)_.

so ideally speaking its not impossible to buy the nib units from Japan... it's just that they cost as much as a pen <_< the exemption to this rule is the VP/capless in the international market, heck you can't even buy the units in Japan Edited by Algester

I once got a Naginata nib/section without the barrel or cap of a pen from Melpens, I think.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 weeks later...

From what I just recently learned, the big three do NOT sell nib units even to the pen makers known to use them, even in Japan. As I was told, these pen makers must buy the entire pen and scavenge the nib unit. Which would explain, in part, the high cost of some of these pens. Makes me wonder what they do with the left over barrels and caps.

Personnaly I won't complain about it . I was seeking on the net for a gold nib for my pen. And I find out that a single european gold nib can cost much more than a full japanese pen with a gold nib of the same size... :D

From what I just recently learned, the big three do NOT sell nib units even to the pen makers known to use them, even in Japan. As I was told, these pen makers must buy the entire pen and scavenge the nib unit. Which would explain, in part, the high cost of some of these pens. Makes me wonder what they do with the left over barrels and caps.

So how would you explain Hakase? They have their own logo (or whatever you call it) on the nib. Is it possible to remove the pilot logo and then have your own logo embossed on the nib?

I haven't used an ohashido pen so can't say anything about that.

So how would you explain Hakase? They have their own logo (or whatever you call it) on the nib. Is it possible to remove the pilot logo and then have your own logo embossed on the nib?

There are some obvious exceptions, to my knowledge some pen makers have had a long history with the companies either having worked for them for many years, part of their history (eg nakaya) or having strong ties since companies have reach out to a few famous makers to make special editions.

There isnt a written rule that they dont sell loose nibs but it might as well be :P

Actually it is almost impossible to buy a single Japan pen nib unit online. And no one even disassemble a nib as a single unit from a broken pen and sell it online. Why?

Practically all Japanese companies focus their most of their efforts in Japan and coupled with their work ethics and efficiency no one needs to buy nib units. If something is broken...etc you fill out a form, post it to the respective company and get the pen back repaired within a few days. I had a vintage custom stripe nib and section replaced for under 2000yen and it took less than 2 days because things are that efficient it leaves very little reason to offer loose nibs to the general public.

Granted this is both a good and bad thing, great because who doesnt like a speedy repair and bad because of this efficiency Japanese FP users tend have a lower understanding of pen maintenance. I've lost count the number of times I've acquired a pen and they though it would be a good idea to ship the pen with a ink cartridge still attached or sell a "broken unusable pen" when all was needed was the pen to be soaked in water for half a day to remove dried ink.

Edited by Alteyz

I had the exact same question and was told that the special arrangment is that the pens come with unstamped nibs allowing Hakase and others to stamp the nibs themselves.

Granted this is both a good and bad thing, great because who doesnt like a speedy repair and bad because of this efficiency Japanese FP users tend have a lower understanding of pen maintenance. I've lost count the number of times I've acquired a pen and they though it would be a good idea to ship the pen with a ink cartridge still attached or sell a "broken unusable pen" when all was needed was the pen to be soaked in water for half a day to remove dried ink.

Can attest, almost all the used pens I've bought from Japan came with an empty cartridge attached. Also for some reason they are really fond of using a Sailor Cartridge in a Pilot Elite.