Pocket Pen - Preppy, Metro, Or Safari?

creeder14

How about the "ballpoint" of fountain pens--Pilot Varsity. Buy a box of these pens and throw one in your pants pocket. A quick look on the forums will even show to to refill the "disposable" fountain pen.

Buzz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• creeder14

• rochester21

• AndyYNWA

Top Posters In This Topic

Safari is still in the running... I'm skeptical of the grip though. Thinking back, I always hated those triangular grip pencils they gave us in elementary school. How durable are the Kakunos? Do they have the same nib as the Metro?

If you already remember not liking the triangular grip then pass on the Safari. The Kakuno feels cheap but so far I haven't had any problems with mine. They do not have the same nib as the Metro. Metro is a nice pen too, although a bit heavier than the Safari and the Kakuno. More traditional style than the other two also, and with a clip so it makes for a better shirt pocket pen like the Safari than a true jacket or pants pocket pen like the Kakuno or the Kaweco Sport.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Well a 45 is much cheaper than a 51. The semihooded nib is very stiff and resilient, the body is slightly thinner. Runs on cartidges or converter. Different pen altogether.

And the Baoer 388 is simply a parker sonnet clone.

As for the P75, i had several and despite my best efforts, i didn`t like them as much as i wanted to. They`re somewhat small even for average hands like mine and the nibs weren`t impressive. But they are quite beautiful. In my opinion, a Sheaffer Targa would be worth having over a parker 75.

The Pilot metropolitan should be alright for your needs(Pilot does make good nibs) i don`t like to recommend it simply because it`s an ugly pen. Prera is larger as well. I was also under the impression that they use basically the same nib on 78G/kakuno/metropolitan/prera, but it seems that they`re not the same. Possibly they use a different tipping for each, i don`t know. Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject.

Edited by rochester21

If you already remember not liking the triangular grip then pass on the Safari. The Kakuno feels cheap but so far I haven't had any problems with mine. They do not have the same nib as the Metro. Metro is a nice pen too, although a bit heavier than the Safari and the Kakuno. More traditional style than the other two also, and with a clip so it makes for a better shirt pocket pen like the Safari than a true jacket or pants pocket pen like the Kakuno or the Kaweco Sport.

I've seen people pull the clips off of Metros for custom paint jobs, and it's pretty easy to do. Does leave a big hole there, but I'm thinking about doing that and filling the hole in the cap with aluminum or something

How about the "ballpoint" of fountain pens--Pilot Varsity. Buy a box of these pens and throw one in your pants pocket. A quick look on the forums will even show to to refill the "disposable" fountain pen.

Buzz

A Bic fountain pen... interesting idea! I considered buying one for a starter pen, actually - it was between that and a Preppy, but I thought the Varsity would have to broad of a nib for use on cheap school papers. Then I saw that time to buy a Neptune's Pearl from Goulet was running out... so I decided to just jump in!

Anyway, I think that since this would be a pen used for quick writing on random little scraps of paper and almost never on NICE paper, a medium will be a bit wide. Otherwise this'd totally be a contender

Pilot Prera...

Or, why not a Faber-Castell Loom. Really nice nib on those...

Aren't the Looms pretty big?

Well a 45 is much cheaper than a 51. The semihooded nib is very stiff and resilient, the body is slightly thinner. Runs on cartidges or converter. Different pen altogether.

And the Baoer 388 is simply a parker sonnet clone.

As for the P75, i had several and despite my best efforts, i didn`t like them as much as i wanted to. They`re somewhat small even for average hands like mine and the nibs weren`t impressive. But they are quite beautiful. In my opinion, a Sheaffer Targa would be worth having over a parker 75.

The Pilot metropolitan should be alright for your needs(Pilot does make good nibs) i don`t like to recommend it simply because it`s an ugly pen. Prera is larger as well. I was also under the impression that they use basically the same nib on 78G/kakuno/metropolitan/prera, but it seems that they`re not the same. Possibly they use a different tipping for each, i don`t know. Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject.

Ah, okay. Smaller and runs on C/C. Thanks :)

Are they really small? That's kinda surprising to me. I read Goulet's blog post about power pens (which I did not like very much, actually) and the 75 was recommended in the comments. Looked it up and it wowed me instantly. Certainly LOOKS like a big powerful pen, but if it's small and has a mediocre nib... I'll pass on it. I do love the look of the Sheaffer nibs, and the Targa looks nice... I'll check out some reviews for it.

Only pen I will keep in my pocket is the Kaweco sport. Great little pocket pen.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

I do use a Pilot Prera as my EDC pocket pen, although the pocket is on my shirt, or if no pocket, clipped at the neck.

It is around the same price as a Safari (perhaps a little more), but the cap seals the nib better.

I would never carry a pen in a pants pocket, unless you are seeking a surprise tie-die pattern.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Yes, especially the cap and clip. I wear my pens in my shirt pocket, and while I owned one, the Loom was too big for my shirt pocket (IMO).

Well, maybe as TSherbs says; the clip and the cap. But not the pen itself, overall sizes are for example much smaller than the Safari, except for the cap.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy