What Are The Benchmark Inks To Try

ShortRound131

I'm about 6 months into fountain pen collecting and have a small collection of pens and inks.

Wondering what are some benchmark inks I need to try out? The big names in FP inkworld?

So far I have:

Iroshizuku: Kon-Peki, Tsuyu-Kusa, Yama-Guri, Tsuki-Yo, Shin-Kai (Asa-Gao is my next Iro ink to get)

Mont Blanc: Permanent Blue, Royal Blue, Corn Poppy Red (Midnight Blue is my next Mont Blanc ink to get)

Diamine: Oxford Blue, Bilberry, Ancient Copper (Midnight is next Diamine to purchase)

J. Herbin: Perle Noir, Bleu Nuit, Eclat de Saphir (Maybe Cacao du Bresil next)

Aurora: Black

Waterman: Brilliant Brown

I suppose Pelikan Tanzanite, Noodlers Black, Aurora Blue, Some Sailor inks, Visconti Blue,

Waterman Florida Blue, Pilot Blue-Black....are the big names I've seen mentioned often.

I'm looking for staple ink suggestions every new collector "should" have. Thanks for reading!

--

fyi from my list MB Perm. Blue and Diamine Oxford are my two favorites, I lean toward blues.

Edited by ShortRound131

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShortRound131

• Sailor Kenshin

• Sandy1

• mehandiratta

ShortRound, what a terrific question! I doubt if you'll find any consensus here whatsoever, but the discussion should prove interesting. Three ideas to get you started:

Foolproof, reliable blue: Waterman serenity blue

Classic black: Aurora black

Foolproof, reliable red: Sheaffer red

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thank you ... yes I'm looking for foolproof inks, classics if you will...

I will have to get a sample of Waterman Serenity Blue, I was actually looking up Sheaffer Blue Black,

will have to consider the Red, seeing as I only have one red ink in my collection.

Cheers!

ShortRound, what a terrific question! I doubt if you'll find any consensus here whatsoever, but the discussion should prove interesting. Three ideas to get you started:

Foolproof, reliable blue: Waterman serenity blue

Classic black: Aurora black

Foolproof, reliable red: Sheaffer red

I have and use some heavily-saturated inks, that are beautiful. However, much of my collection is vintage fountain pens. I like to use inks that were available during those years. I like to think that my oldsters are safe with such inks. Of those inks, I like

Parkers Penman Black

Parkers Quink

Montblanc Turquoise

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue and Blue Black.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

And Doyou is known to "clean" stained demonstrators? Will have to try it...

Benchmark ink for wetness and smoothness: Sailor Doyou.

Pelikan RB and BB ... will have to add to my list....

I have and use some heavily-saturated inks, that are beautiful. However, much of my collection is vintage fountain pens. I like to use inks that were available during those years. I like to think that my oldsters are safe with such inks. Of those inks, I like

Parkers Penman Black

Parkers Quink

Montblanc Turquoise

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue and Blue Black.

Both of the Aurora colors, Blue & Black

Pelikan, Royal Blue and Brilliant Black

Waterman , Absolute Brown ( was Havana Brown)

Private Reserve, Midnight Blues

I'm about 6 months into fountain pen collecting and have a small collection of pens and inks.

Wondering what are some benchmark inks I need to try out? The big names in FP inkworld?

So far I have:

Iroshizuku: Kon-Peki, Tsuyu-Kusa, Yama-Guri, Tsuki-Yo, Shin-Kai (Asa-Gao is my next Iro ink to get)

Mont Blanc: Permanent Blue, Royal Blue, Corn Poppy Red (Midnight Blue is my next Mont Blanc ink to get)

Diamine: Oxford Blue, Bilberry, Ancient Copper (Midnight is next Diamine to purchase)

J. Herbin: Perle Noir, Bleu Nuit, Eclat de Saphir (Maybe Cacao du Bresil next)

Aurora: Black

Waterman: Brilliant Brown

I suppose Pelikan Tanzanite, Noodlers Black, Aurora Blue, Some Sailor inks, Visconti Blue,

Waterman Florida Blue, Pilot Blue-Black....are the big names I've seen mentioned often.

I'm looking for staple ink suggestions every new collector "should" have. Thanks for reading!

--

fyi from my list MB Perm. Blue and Diamine Oxford are my two favorites, I lean toward blues.

Cacao du Bresil is a very interesting color: not brown, not lavender, not gray, but a little of all three. Right now, Chesterfield inks are being discontinued. And marked down, so I bought an array of six and may buy more. I love their Sodalite, Siam and Mahogany.

Not that I am trying to steer you. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

hmmm have not researched much of Chesterfield... related to Diamine inks though?

Cacao du Bresil is a very interesting color: not brown, not lavender, not gray, but a little of all three. Right now, Chesterfield inks are being discontinued. And marked down, so I bought an array of six and may buy more. I love their Sodalite, Siam and Mahogany.

Not that I am trying to steer you. ;)

hmmm have not researched much of Chesterfield... related to Diamine inks though?

They are said to be re-branded Diamine inks. At least some of them. I don't know what diamine ink Zircon is, but I'm testing it as a nice, bouncy, cheerful blue. Also have Antique Jade, Crimson, and Mariner loaded, and these are more muted. The swabs on their site seem to be accurate.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Hi,

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary : benchmark is "something that can be used as a way to judge the quality or level of other, similar things"

As such, one looks for a some sort of mid-point - not an extreme. Kindly note that we are without metrics...

That is also very much influenced by one's preferences. For example, I trend toward lean dry inks with shading potential rather than high lubricity saturated inks, hence my personal benchmark is not the same as those who take a different tack or write with a slow high pressure hand.

From your current inky array, (which is very nice indeed, but what ink for billets doux?), Pilot kon-peki, Montblanc RBl and Herbin Bleu Nuit would be my picks for benchmarking pen+paper combos.

For new inks to try, kindly consider Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, Diamine Syrah, Montblanc Toffee Brown; and if you favour narrow nibs, then Visconti Blue; and if tempted to go exploring, R&K Scabiosa and Sailor sei-boku and Stipula Muschiato and and and...

Whee!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sandy1 thank you I consider you a FPN celebrity of sorts. I got started reading your one of ten blue posts.

I'm still early on in my journey and experimenting with what I like as far as inks good suggestions here. Thank you!

Hi,

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary : benchmark is "something that can be used as a way to judge the quality or level of other, similar things"

As such, one looks for a some sort of mid-point - not an extreme. Kindly note that we are without metrics...

That is also very much influenced by one's preferences. For example, I trend toward lean dry inks with shading potential rather than high lubricity saturated inks, hence my personal benchmark is not the same as those who take a different tack or write with a slow high pressure hand.

From your current inky array, (which is very nice indeed, but what ink for billets doux?), Pilot kon-peki, Montblanc RBl and Herbin Bleu Nuit would be my picks for benchmarking pen+paper combos.

For new inks to try, kindly consider Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, Diamine Syrah, Montblanc Toffee Brown; and if you favour narrow nibs, then Visconti Blue; and if tempted to go exploring, R&K Scabiosa and Sailor sei-boku and Stipula Muschiato and and and...

Whee!

Bye,

S1

Thank you love the performance of aurora black, blue is definitely one I want to try

Both of the Aurora colors, Blue & Black

Pelikan, Royal Blue and Brilliant Black

Waterman , Absolute Brown ( was Havana Brown)

Private Reserve, Midnight Blues

Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa--not a benchmark for comparison with others, but an ink notable for the fact that no other ink compares easily with it

First, someone should compliment you for putting together a very solid list of fine inks on your own. Beyond that, I think, as you suggested, Sailor is the most obvious gap. Just jump right in on that. Also, in a slight variation on the above post, I think R&K Salix is pretty much a classic. I like their Sepia a lot as well. Pelikan Violet is a good ink, on the drier side, and finally, in terms of what you might call smaller names, I would look at Callifolio and KWZ. Great colors and performance from both of them.

Sandy1 thank you I consider you a FPN celebrity of sorts. I got started reading your one of ten blue posts.

I'm still early on in my journey and experimenting with what I like as far as inks good suggestions here. Thank you!

Hi,

You're welcome. :)

Over the course of doing some 138 Ink Reviews I strove to be on-the-level in the depiction of the inks and my sense there-of. During that task I might have developed some sort of lexicon and personal perspective.

I learn as I go - I never pretend to be a smarty-pants know-it-all.

As ever the ink on paper [linear scans] speak louder than I, and the replies from other Members contribute greatly.

(I am glad there are 402 Replies to my IR of ESSRI - certainly I missed more than a little something something.)

Hoist your sails for a voyage upon the inky seas!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Yes, I've hesitated on Sailor only because Bungbox line was $43 at the recent Dallas Pen show, I think Souten and Doyou Jentle would be good ones to start with. R&H ... I have a sample of Alt-Goldgrun and it's beautiful, but can't see myself using a green... maybe I'll reconsider..

KWZ. another brand I have to research. I Love researching inks, it drive me nuts but it's fun.

First, someone should compliment you for putting together a very solid list of fine inks on your own. Beyond that, I think, as you suggested, Sailor is the most obvious gap. Just jump right in on that. Also, in a slight variation on the above post, I think R&K Salix is pretty much a classic. I like their Sepia a lot as well. Pelikan Violet is a good ink, on the drier side, and finally, in terms of what you might call smaller names, I would look at Callifolio and KWZ. Great colors and performance from both of them.

As a classic, benchmark blue, for its excellent flow and middle-of-the-road blue color: Sailor Jentle Blue.

This is relatively modest in price at $12. or $13. a bottle and in my opinion, much better in flow characteristics than another oft-mentioned favorite blue: Waterman Serenity (or Florida) blue.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com