The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Beast

9 replies to this topic

#1 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 16:31

Here are some photos of my recent acquisition, The Beast. A Swan SF5. Does anyone know if there is a similar even larger model? I've included a shot next to the barrel of an SF130 for comparison. The No. 5 nib is incredibly flexible and the pen, though large, nicely balances in the hand. Mine is missing a clip. Does anyone have a GP Swan clip I could snaffle. It needs the L type with the patent no. on it, not the slightly smaller one with the 'Swan' name? I'd really love to get it complete. Or maybe a sufficiently imposing accommodation clip? I'd gratefully accept suggestions of where to find one and, of course, any donations for suitable remuneration.

[attachment=374975:P1060225.JPG]

[attachment=374976:P1060224.JPG]

[attachment=374977:P1060228.JPG]

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 16:40

Hmm "Double Woppa" eh?

What a beauty - and how interesting to discover that there were English-made No 5 nibs - or No 5 nibs that say Mabie Todd & Co Ltd on them!

Cob

Edited by Cob, 07 October 2016 - 16:41.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 18:45

Cob, what advice would you give on polishing out the ownership of 'T Gilbert', who prefers the Old English typeface? It's not his. It's MINE!

Edit to add - Yes, it's an English nib. 

Edited by missuslovett, 07 October 2016 - 18:47.

#4 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 19:22

Cob, what advice would you give on polishing out the ownership of 'T Gilbert', who prefers the Old English typeface? It's not his. It's MINE!

Edit to add - Yes, it's an English nib. 

If I were you  I shouldn't attempt it on a Vulcanite pen.  On a Celluloid model my advice might be different.

The best advice is to follow Deb's (Goodwriters Pens) practice and look up the bloke - he might have been "somebody."

I have a SF230 (a late Celluloid one I think - at least it's black!) engraved with the name Vale Stevens.  He turned up easily via Google.  Apparently he wrote a book called Buffalo Bill.  So I have resisted the temptation to excise his name from the barrel.

I do have to admit however, that I should have been happier had the name been e.g. Aldous Huxley, E.M Forster, Virginia Woolf or Evelyn Waugh.  To the best of my knowledge, none of these luminaries wrote a book called Buffalo Bill.

If it's an English nib then this implies that the pen is post 1921.

Best rgds,

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#5 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 20:04

Thanks for that. I'm not confident I'll find my Mr. Gilbert as he was inconsiderate enough to omit his first name. For anyone following this slightly deserted thread, I've found a maker for 'pen stoppers' that may be useful: http://www.shapeways...=more-from-shop

#6 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 20:10

I was a bit silly in my previous post:   Clearly the design of the pen puts it at around 1925-7., Doh!

"Stopper"  Strange indeed.  What's the matter with the good old English word "Clip?"

C.

Edited by Cob, 07 October 2016 - 20:11.

#7 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2016 - 13:56

Here he is, now finely decked out in his new AC. The snake is surprisingly light for bronze and his little face is wonderfully detailed - unlike the Montblanc clips.

[attachment=376832:P1060661.JPG]

#8 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:59

I think that that looks splendid.

Cob

#9 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:47

Reviving the thread - 

Very pleased to find a similar SF5 at the LA Pen Show today.  Now it can sit next to and guard my SF2.

#10 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 15:41

I'm excited to see my SF5 now has a friend across the water! It really is a lovely pen to use. Mine is very wet and flexible but very easy to scribble with, day to day. 

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|