The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Visconti/Swisher Laguna Verte LE Van Gogh

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 15:01

This is a review of the limited edition Visconti/Swisher Laguna Verte Van Gogh. I got it on a close out special for $175 and think it's a great buy for a LE Visconti, even though as you'll read, I'm not taken with the Van Gogh series from Visconti for a few small details. The photo at the bottom is not of my particular pen but rather a stock photo from the vendors site. I'll remove it if that causes a problem. My camera battery failed when I went to photograph my pen.

First Impression 5/5

My first impression on the Swisher Laguna Verde LE wasnít much of a surprise. I knew what I was getting and after all it was a Visconti so I expected and got a quality pen. I was surprised to see the pens issue number is on the underside of the section, a nice touch that wasnít expected. Mine is 053/188. Basically the 5 rating is for the fact I received nothing less than I expected from Visconti. I should mention the Van Gogh is one of my least favorite Visconti pens.

Appearance 4/5

The coloring on the Laguna Verde is a little dull when compared to the standard Van Goghs. The light green pen has a lot of muted shades with the cap being the most interesting, bearing most of the shading and swirls while the pen body was a little boring. I prefer celluloid material for its rich colors; this is resin so it has none of that. The palladium trim is bright and works with the pen. Still a good looking Visconti. One thing though, I donít like the tension screw on the cap for the clip. Granted itís bright palladium but itís an eye sore. So big! Whereís my Craftsman ľĒ slotted driver? If this werenít a Visconti, the rating would be a 3 for appearance because of this screw.

Design 3/5

Iím not wild about the Van Gogh in the first place. Itís an all right looking pen but something doesnít gel with me on it. It might be the straight lines, thereís no eye pleasing curves to it or interesting shapes like the majority of the current Visconti line up. I really like the ďsquaring the circleĒ concept Visconti is using currently and I enjoy looking at the more curvaceous cigar shape of the Stipula Etruria. None of that here. And that screw? Industrial design at itís best. Thereís a lot of metal work on this pen, all tastefully designed, and it works on the pen.

Nib 5/5

No surprise here either. I donít know who makes the Visconti nibs but they are so good right out of the box. This is the same nib thatís on my Operas and they are smooth, this is no exception. The nib isnít two tone but that makes no difference on the way it writes. It would have picked the appearance up a bit. Mine is a fine nib and puts down a medium wet, true fine line (or my perception of a fine). And as I mentioned before, extremely smooth. The Visconti nibs are to say the least, pretty. Not overly worked with engraving, just enough to make them classic.

Filling System 4.5/5

This is a converter fill. I gave it a 4.5 only because I prefer a piston fill. The converter works very well, no problems here. And something I like a lot, the converter screws in. So Iíll add another .5 to the rating.

Cost and Value 5/5

At $175, I think this is a very good price for a Visconti limited edition 14k Van Gogh, so yes, some serious value for the money. Visconti and Van Gogh fans should be all over this one while the pen is on close out. You get your moneys worth here. A decent pen, in a limited edition, by a respected Italian maker. If you want an 18k version itís around $100 more. Right now only the 14k is on close out special.

Conclusion 4.4/5

Your getting Visconti quality along with a 14k nib on a limited edition pen for a short price tag. If this were the Opera, one of the Manhattans or Wall Street, this would have gotten closer to a perfect score. I just canít warm up to the Van Gogh series, but its appearance is the reason. To those who own and use the VGís, itís just my opinion. You do have a quality pen. I think if you are shopping for a Van Gogh, look at the Swisher/Visconti Laguna Verde LE.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Sponsored Content

#2 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 16:00

Thanks for an interesting review.

#3 italiansallion

italiansallion

No Doubt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2009 - 23:55

cool review, mine should be here in about 2 days! i also got the swisher green.

Sponsored Content

|