Handwriting Horror

mercurius

My handwriting has never been particularly good but being brought up in the UK in the 50s, I was taught a serviceable cursive hand which served me reasonably well, although it has never been very legible to other people.

Now though in my mid 60s I find my writing is getting worse. I like to think this is not down to age, but to using a keyboard a lot. I still write by hand a lot too, taking notes in meetings and writing travel notes,etc., using mainly my FPs, especially my beloved Pelikan M215s. But I often find that my hand doesn't finish words properly or blurs letters together, as if I'm not controlling the pen's movements.

Have you encountered this? If I write more carefully this doesn't happen as much, but it slows me right down. I mentioned this to my wife recently and she has a similar problem, though I would never know it because by comparison with mine her hand is calligraphic.

I don't have the time, inclination or patience to re-shape my handwriting, Just would to like a bit more legibly. Recently even I have struggled to decipher some of my notes!

Any tips?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• mercurius

• Mastiff

• EbonitePen

Not sure if this will help partly because I do not know how much you write daily.

When I returned to writing with fpens over 2 1/2 years ago, my writing was poorer than in the fp past. But after 6 months it improved, and after a year even more. That is due to writing in journals and noteboks at least 2-3 pages each day, and writing 6 page (A5) letters to a few people each month. I will still have an ocassional age-related intrusion or mis-spelling, usually if I am unysually tired.

The main thing is to write a lot. It may get better.

Edited by T4TEXAS

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

My first inclination would be that you are just getting out of practice, and that some gestures that used to be automatic are no longer working well and need refreshing. If so, some time writing slowly and intentionally (a little journal, for instance) should help a lot.

But also, have you discussed this with your doctor? I have zero medical knowledge, but it seems to me there is a distant chance that this could be an early indication of something you would very much want to know about early. Why not be safe?

ron

double.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My writing has improved from Chicken Scratch to Rooster Scratch....

Due to ball points my hand writing became so bad I had to print. I could no longer read cursive I scribbled.

Now I can read my own cursive handwriting....if I don't go too fast. My wife can't but she's cursed with good handwriting.

I don't know how tiny you write...if so, try to write larger....to get use to that there are programs that allow you to print wider lines.

A wider printed line could be of help.....can't harm.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I found out if I just slow down and think when I write my writing improves.

+ 1

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

Yes. Your hand is not keeping up with your mind.

IMHO, you need to slow down and write, like a daily journal.

And when you write, SLOW DOWN, and write at a casual pace. My handwriting is pretty decent. But when I write FAST, my handwriting get worse. And the faster I write, the worse it gets.

Just for thought, I think many should have at least 3 hands to use.

#1 - a fast writing cursive or print, to use for note taking or when you just need to write FAST. Speed is more important than looking nice, as long as it can be read.

#2 - a slow and NICE cursive. This is my journal, letter or card writing hand.

#3 - a print/italic hand for maximum legibility

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Even at slow speeds, I sometimes find that my hand has a mind of its own and starts to write the wrong word, or is guilty of odd misspellings. But at least the wrong word looks neat.

I do have to slow down for my best handwriting, although I can generally manage meeting notes that I can read. My writing also deteriorates quickly from having to write in less than ideal positions, a notebook held in my lap, a clipboard held at chest height while I walk around. In those cases, it's often easier to print, particularly if someone else will need to read it.

I did have severe pains in my writing arm a few years ago, for reasons that sent me to a doctor, although there's no point in going into details. I'm all right now, but for a while was worried I might have to give up regular writing. Even in the absence of pain, it can't hurt to mention your difficulties to a doctor when you next have a checkup. But it may just be a matter of slowing down and sitting in a proper writing position.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

"Handwriting Horror" was probably my teacher's nickname for me; it's now at least legible if I don't hurry. Some decent paper with a smooth nib usually helps, usually not to fine; at the beginning of my handwriting recovery efforts some Seyès / french ruled paper also helped, such as Clairefontaine's.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Now though in my mid 60s I find my writing is getting worse. I like to think this is not down to age, but to using a keyboard a lot. I still write by hand a lot too, taking notes in meetings and writing travel notes,etc., using mainly my FPs, especially my beloved Pelikan M215s. But I often find that my hand doesn't finish words properly or blurs letters together, as if I'm not controlling the pen's movements.

In recent years I've found that happening to me once in a while. Usually when I'm tired, stressed, or trying to write while tensed up about something.

Sitting back for a minute, shaking out my hand (without the pen in it!), and relaxing for a moment. Repeat when beginning to tense up again.

It seems to have worked so far.

I suppose, your Pelikan M215 became a little bit heavy for you now.

How about trying M200 or M400 instead.

They are lightweight pen and you can control them better.

Of course, you can use your current nib with new pen.

regards,

My advice would be to consider improving consciousness about the writing process itself. We often do this in our everyday activities, we just don't focus on the present moment. Especially with writing we see it only as a means to an end and we drag the pen on the paper habitually. Perhaps try to practice writing for writing's sake and enjoy how it feels.

As others have said, slow down.

As well, I find that different pens help or hinder my handwriting. Those that have a little 'grip' or 'feedback' on the paper are better for my handwriting than those that are very smooth. I really do best with a dip pen using a standard clerical or school nib.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The faster I write, the less legible is my writing. I am a left handed over writer, so I usually write slowly, and it's legible.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Use a fine nibbed pen like a vintage Parker or Sheaffer. The Pelikans are too broad to give you good control. Plus the broad line makes even a tidy hand to appear shabby.

The second trial you can do is to use a pen with a fatter section. In my case, even a small change of section diameter like the change from a P51 to a P61 can impact my handwriting...

A lifelong FP user...

Not sure if this will help partly because I do not know how much you write daily.

When I returned to writing with fpens over 2 1/2 years ago, my writing was poorer than in the fp past. But after 6 months it improved, and after a year even more. That is due to writing in journals and noteboks at least 2-3 pages each day, and writing 6 page (A5) letters to a few people each month. I will still have an ocassional age-related intrusion or mis-spelling, usually if I am unysually tired.

The main thing is to write a lot. It may get better.

I write most days and have been doing for several years, so don't think it's lack of practice.

I found out if I just slow down and think when I write my writing improves.

Agree, but that's difficult to do in a meeting context when you're chairing and writing notes.

My first inclination would be that you are just getting out of practice, and that some gestures that used to be automatic are no longer working well and need refreshing. If so, some time writing slowly and intentionally (a little journal, for instance) should help a lot.

But also, have you discussed this with your doctor? I have zero medical knowledge, but it seems to me there is a distant chance that this could be an early indication of something you would very much want to know about early. Why not be safe?

ron

Thanks for the thought about the medical issue. I had considered that as a mild hypochondriac, but don't think that is the cause. Also my wife has a similar problem and the common link seems to be we are both doing much more keyboard work.

Yes. Your hand is not keeping up with your mind.

IMHO, you need to slow down and write, like a daily journal.

And when you write, SLOW DOWN, and write at a casual pace. My handwriting is pretty decent. But when I write FAST, my handwriting get worse. And the faster I write, the worse it gets.

Just for thought, I think many should have at least 3 hands to use.

#1 - a fast writing cursive or print, to use for note taking or when you just need to write FAST. Speed is more important than looking nice, as long as it can be read.

#2 - a slow and NICE cursive. This is my journal, letter or card writing hand.

#3 - a print/italic hand for maximum legibility

Agree that my mind is ahead of my pen. Slowing down in a professional context though is not really an option.

Even at slow speeds, I sometimes find that my hand has a mind of its own and starts to write the wrong word, or is guilty of odd misspellings. But at least the wrong word looks neat.

I do have to slow down for my best handwriting, although I can generally manage meeting notes that I can read. My writing also deteriorates quickly from having to write in less than ideal positions, a notebook held in my lap, a clipboard held at chest height while I walk around. In those cases, it's often easier to print, particularly if someone else will need to read it.

I did have severe pains in my writing arm a few years ago, for reasons that sent me to a doctor, although there's no point in going into details. I'm all right now, but for a while was worried I might have to give up regular writing. Even in the absence of pain, it can't hurt to mention your difficulties to a doctor when you next have a checkup. But it may just be a matter of slowing down and sitting in a proper writing position.

Mon semblable! At least your meanderings look neat though!

In recent years I've found that happening to me once in a while. Usually when I'm tired, stressed, or trying to write while tensed up about something.

Sitting back for a minute, shaking out my hand (without the pen in it!), and relaxing for a moment. Repeat when beginning to tense up again.

It seems to have worked so far.

The stress /tension thing chimes with me, though it also happens sometimes at home when I'm just ambling. Thanks for your thoughts.

I suppose, your Pelikan M215 became a little bit heavy for you now.

How about trying M200 or M400 instead.

They are lightweight pen and you can control them better.

Of course, you can use your current nib with new pen.

regards,

Pen weight is not an issue. I love pens with heft (eg my MB 146) and if anything it gets worse with lightweight pens.

Many highly intelligent people have horrible handwriting

Indeed we do! [Coughs modestly]. I wish...

My advice would be to consider improving consciousness about the writing process itself. We often do this in our everyday activities, we just don't focus on the present moment. Especially with writing we see it only as a means to an end and we drag the pen on the paper habitually. Perhaps try to practice writing for writing's sake and enjoy how it feels.

Excellent advice I am trying to do this when I am not writing under pressure to see if this will carry though into writing in more pressured circumstances.

fpn_1475852129__img_2325.jpg

fpn_1475852145__img_2326.jpg

fpn_1475852162__img_2327.jpg

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really recognise my own scribble in your more hurried hand.

Thank you for your practical advice. What lovely handwriting you have - I really envy you!

Use a fine nibbed pen like a vintage Parker or Sheaffer. The Pelikans are too broad to give you good control. Plus the broad line makes even a tidy hand to appear shabby.

The second trial you can do is to use a pen with a fatter section. In my case, even a small change of section diameter like the change from a P51 to a P61 can impact my handwriting...

Thanks but I can't stand fine nibs.