Inks That Pair Real Good

eissante

I'm a biology student, and all my notes involve a bunch of illustrations, diagrams, labels etc. This semester I've been using two LAMYs with some stock standard LAMY blue ink and a bottle of Herbin's Cafe Des Iles. on it's own LAMY blue is boring as hell, I can certainly see a lot of use for it but it's by no means an exiting color. Cafe Des Iles on the other hand is like writing with rich, silty, honest dirt from a healthy creekbed. But I digress.

The two inks play off against each other in a way I simply haven't ever seen before. Neither demands attention from each other, Both keep from being gaudy or overly contrasted, And I really like the look of it.

SO, have any of you stumbled upon a pair of inks that play against each other in that perfect, hard to pinpoint way? what are your favourite pairs of inks?

post-132257-0-11157100-1475767054_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• LizEF

• grainweevil

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like to pair GvFC Stone Grey, my default ink for regular notes, and MB William Shakespeare (any other complex dark red would serve the purpose), with which I write keywords and the most important parts. They look together really well. Recently I tried a Lie de The & GvFC Moss Green combo. This is a calmer option for those who like forest trips :)

Can't find the post but someone here paired Ina Ho up with a grey and boy was it gorgeous.

I'll have a better look later.

In the meanwhile. Terracotta / oranges go really well with blues.

Oh, d'you mean this one, Tas? That is effective, and certainly not a combination I would have thought to try.

YES !

Lovely isn't it ?

I'd perhaps choose Lexington Grey over Diamine Grey but I almost bought Ina Ho because of that image. In fact, let me add it to the list . . . :)

Great! I thought Ina-Ho was lighter. In fact I didn't buy it because I feared it might be too light to be legible enough.

I think some of the KWZI offerings would do the job as well.

Grey really is a great background colour. I don't know what would look terrible with grey. Probably greyish brown is not the best choice.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

I'd perhaps choose Lexington Grey over Diamine Grey...

Hah! I was just thinking the same thing; mainly because I have Lex but not Diamine. (Really, really trying not to buy any more ink at the moment.) Too many pens inked just now, but I shall make a note to try it, as well as Café des Îles and Lamy Blue (as they're there).

I've got Lexington going with Super5 Delhi as a counterpoint at the moment, which it's pretty effective, and with the added bonus of water resistance from both.

Hah! I was just thinking the same thing; mainly because I have Lex but not Diamine. (Really, really trying not to buy any more ink at the moment.) Too many pens inked just now, but I shall make a note to try it, as well as Café des Îles and Lamy Blue (as they're there).

I've got Lexington going with Super5 Delhi as a counterpoint at the moment, which it's pretty effective, and with the added bonus of water resistance from both.

Ooo, go on. Show us . . . :)

It looks like you have discovered Complimentary Colours

http://willkempartschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/colourwheel01.gif

where colours that are opposite on the colour wheel go well together.

Your Cafe Des Iles is a sort of orangey colour, so it goes well with the blue of the Lamy Blue.

Now, for lab and field work, you might want to look at a good, permanently permanent Black, like Blackstone Barrister Black from Justwrite.com in QLD, or good ol' Noodler's bulletproof Black.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

To hear read is to obey:

fpn_1475838054__lexdelhicombo.jpg

Oh my. That makes we want Lexington Gray. (And I hate black ink, so I always figured I'd hate gray, but look at the shading! <swoon>)

Taken with cameraphone after 01:00 and no chance to adjust lighting (contrast). I like this color combination, as well as some greens and purples (of which I don't have the inks. Yet.).

post-13586-0-04566400-1475882250_thumb.jpg

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I don't have them right handy to take a photo of and post (perhaps a bit later) but was playing with some fun colors earlier today. Noodlers Apache Sunset and Diamine Saddle Brown and get this.... Blackstone Green Cashmere which is a lovely mossy green or green black. The nibs used were all stubs. (Al Star 1.1/green cashmer; Eco 1.1/apache sunset and 580 B Tomahawk/saddle brown) The paper is Rhodia dot pad.

Edited to add photo.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Mobile%20Uploads/20161007_194212_zpsg1lwoqcd.jpg

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Sigh. Do you get points for enabling? That combo would only cost $125 on Amazon... I think the blue & pink combination might be mandatory though.

Ooops, I didn't think. :unsure: $$$

Perhaps cheaper dopplegangers will work almost as well together . . . Sorry.

Oh my. That makes we want Lexington Gray. (And I hate black ink, so I always figured I'd hate gray, but look at the shading! <swoon>)

I long thought grey ink was a pointless enterprise, but they get you in the end. Nice thing about the Lex Gray is it seems amenable to dilution, so you can get a wide range of "pencil grade" greys as desired.

Taken with cameraphone after 01:00 and no chance to adjust lighting (contrast). I like this color combination, as well as some greens and purples (of which I don't have the inks. Yet.).

attachicon.gif14758821485821684747255.jpg

I like that one; vibrant. *looks speculatively at existing turquoise inks*