The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inks That Pair Real Good

inkpair combinations colors

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 eissante

eissante

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 15:18

I'm a biology student, and all my notes involve a bunch of illustrations, diagrams, labels etc. This semester I've been using two LAMYs with some stock standard LAMY blue ink and a bottle of Herbin's Cafe Des Iles. on it's own LAMY blue is boring as hell, I can certainly see a lot of use for it but it's by no means an exiting color. Cafe Des Iles on the other hand is like writing with rich, silty, honest dirt from a healthy creekbed. But I digress.

The two inks play off against each other in a way I simply haven't ever seen before. Neither demands attention from each other, Both keep from being gaudy or overly contrasted, And I really like the look of it. 

SO, have any of you stumbled upon a pair of inks that play against each other in that perfect, hard to pinpoint way? what are your favourite pairs of inks?

Attached Images

• KGM_3085.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Old_Inkyhand

Old_Inkyhand

Horse sense: stable inking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 16:52

I like to pair GvFC  Stone Grey, my default ink for regular notes, and MB William Shakespeare (any other complex dark red would serve the purpose), with which I write keywords and the most important parts. They look together really well. Recently I tried a Lie de The & GvFC Moss Green combo. This is a calmer option for those who like forest trips :)

#3 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 17:13

Can't find the post but someone here paired Ina Ho up with a grey and boy was it gorgeous.
I'll have a better look later.

In the meanwhile. Terracotta / oranges go really well with blues.

#4 grainweevil

grainweevil

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 17:51

Oh, d'you mean this one, Tas? That is effective, and certainly not a combination I would have thought to try.

#5 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 18:09

Oh, d'you mean this one, Tas? That is effective, and certainly not a combination I would have thought to try.

YES !

Lovely isn't it ?

I'd perhaps choose Lexington Grey over Diamine Grey but I almost bought Ina Ho because of that image. In fact, let me add it to the list . . .  :)

#6 Old_Inkyhand

Old_Inkyhand

Horse sense: stable inking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 18:15

Great! I thought Ina-Ho was lighter. In fact I didn't buy it because I feared it might be too light to be legible enough.

I think some of the KWZI offerings would do the job as well.

Grey really is a great background colour. I don't know what would look terrible with grey. Probably greyish brown is not the best choice.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand, 06 October 2016 - 18:16.

#7 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 18:18

I find Pelikan Edelstein Garnet and KWZI Turkus Galusowy (iron-gall turquoise) complement each other lovelily.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#8 grainweevil

grainweevil

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 18:31

I'd perhaps choose Lexington Grey over Diamine Grey...

Hah! I was just thinking the same thing; mainly because I have Lex but not Diamine. (Really, really trying not to buy any more ink at the moment.) Too many pens inked just now, but I shall make a note to try it, as well as Café des Îles and Lamy Blue (as they're there).

I've got Lexington going with Super5 Delhi as a counterpoint at the moment, which it's pretty effective, and with the added bonus of water resistance from both.

#9 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 19:56

Hah! I was just thinking the same thing; mainly because I have Lex but not Diamine. (Really, really trying not to buy any more ink at the moment.) Too many pens inked just now, but I shall make a note to try it, as well as Café des Îles and Lamy Blue (as they're there).

I've got Lexington going with Super5 Delhi as a counterpoint at the moment, which it's pretty effective, and with the added bonus of water resistance from both.

Ooo, go on. Show us . . .  :)

#10 grainweevil

grainweevil

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:06

To hear read is to obey:

fpn_1475838054__lexdelhicombo.jpg

#11 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:13

Yay.

#12 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:39

It looks like you have discovered Complimentary Colours

colourwheel01.gif

where colours that are opposite on the colour wheel go well together.

Your Cafe Des Iles is a sort of orangey colour, so it goes well with the blue of the Lamy Blue.

Now, for lab and field work, you might want to look at a good, permanently permanent Black, like Blackstone Barrister Black from Justwrite.com in QLD, or good ol' Noodler's bulletproof Black.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#13 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 14:42

To hear read is to obey:

fpn_1475838054__lexdelhicombo.jpg

Oh my.  That makes we want Lexington Gray.  (And I hate black ink, so I always figured I'd hate gray, but look at the shading! <swoon>)

#14 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 16:37

Ooo, I've had another thought for you. Look at these four babies together from Lgsoltek:

http://www.fountainp...uiro/?p=3659375

#15 DriftingSands

DriftingSands

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 841 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 18:21

Private Reserve Tanzanite and Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo.

#16 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 18:45

Ooo, I've had another thought for you. Look at these four babies together from Lgsoltek:

http://www.fountainp...uiro/?p=3659375

Sigh.  Do you get points for enabling?  That combo would only cost $125 on Amazon...  I think the blue & pink combination might be mandatory though.

#17 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 23:19

Taken with cameraphone after 01:00 and no chance to adjust lighting (contrast). I like this color combination, as well as some greens and purples (of which I don't have the inks. Yet.).

14758821485821684747255.jpg

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#18 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• 8,941 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2016 - 00:41

I don't have them right handy to take a photo of and post (perhaps a bit later) but was playing with some fun colors earlier today. Noodlers Apache Sunset and Diamine Saddle Brown and get this.... Blackstone Green Cashmere which is a lovely mossy green or green black. The nibs used were all stubs. (Al Star 1.1/green cashmer; Eco 1.1/apache sunset and 580 B Tomahawk/saddle brown) The paper is Rhodia dot pad.

Edited to add photo.

20161007_194212_zpsg1lwoqcd.jpg

Edited by Runnin_Ute, 08 October 2016 - 02:11.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#19 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:22

Sigh.  Do you get points for enabling?  That combo would only cost $125 on Amazon...  I think the blue & pink combination might be mandatory though.

Ooops, I didn't think.  :unsure: $$$
Perhaps cheaper dopplegangers will work almost as well together . . . Sorry.

#20 grainweevil

grainweevil

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:20

Oh my.  That makes we want Lexington Gray.  (And I hate black ink, so I always figured I'd hate gray, but look at the shading! <swoon>)

I long thought grey ink was a pointless enterprise, but they get you in the end. Nice thing about the Lex Gray is it seems amenable to dilution, so you can get a wide range of "pencil grade" greys as desired.

Taken with cameraphone after 01:00 and no chance to adjust lighting (contrast). I like this color combination, as well as some greens and purples (of which I don't have the inks. Yet.).

attachicon.gif14758821485821684747255.jpg

I like that one; vibrant. *looks speculatively at existing turquoise inks*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inkpair, combinations, colors

Sponsored Content

|