3 X 5 Cards

Peregrinator

I carry 3 X 5 cards to make note. Used a lot of Levenger ones but would like to find some that are fp friendly. Do they make such an item?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregamckinney

• inkstainedruth

• mooshi

• cobalt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of years ago someone sent me some Japanese brand of 3x5 cards which were supposed to be more FP friendly. I haven't really tried them (they included a pack where the rule lines were at 90° from what I'd expect -- presumably for Japanese writing, which is top to bottom instead of left to right) but I can check and see what brand they were. I don't know where she got them from, though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've used the Exacompta Bristol cards for several years and have been very happy with them.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Nock and Co...makers of many beautiful pen cases, also sell notebooks and 3X5 index cards. They are advertised as fountain pen friendly and in my experience have stood up to every ink I've thrown at them. Just google "Nock & Co." just wanted to add that their notebooks are the best paper I've ever used. Please note, the notebooks with the yellow covers are NOT fp friendly and thus cheaper.

I've had decent results with cards from India, sold at Dollar Tree. Can't always find 'em, though.

I didn't find mine at Dollar Tree or the Dollar Store and definitely not at Wal-Mart. However, they cost about as much as one would pay at those stores. I buy Roaring Spring Paper Products' 100% recycled 3X5 plain index cards. I buy them in boxes of 240 cards and I use to by five boxes at a time. I first used them for field study work and wrote on them with one of my Esterbrook mechanical pencils. Then, one time at home, I had to write a quick note and grabbed one of these index cards and used my fountain pen. Thus, I discovered by accident that they were very fountain pen friendly. I'm too old and stove-up to do any serious field studies these days, but I use these index cards for everything else and I use them with my fountain pens. That's "Roaring Spring Paper Products' 100% Recycled Index Cards" made by Roaring Spring Paper Products, Roaring Spring, PA 16673. I hope you can find them at a store near you because they are great and inexpensive.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I just wish Goulet sold the blank white cards. I tend to divide 3x5 cards into 4 smaller cards with a paper cutter and use them as pocketable flash cards.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

Nock and Co...makers of many beautiful pen cases, also sell notebooks and 3X5 index cards. They are advertised as fountain pen friendly and in my experience have stood up to every ink I've thrown at them. Just google "Nock & Co." just wanted to add that their notebooks are the best paper I've ever used. Please note, the notebooks with the yellow covers are NOT fp friendly and thus cheaper.

I will second this. I use the Nock cards and they are fantastic.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

+1 for Exacompta. They come in various colours with a choice of plain, ruled and squared.

I quite like the Nock cards but I'm not keen on the grid corner-type markings on mine. I've had one or two inks feather slightly on them.

Verba volant, scripta manent

$8.00 seems like a lot of money for 100 cards. Even if they are FP friendly. Bought 200 at the local dollar store and they have served very well over the years.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I will second this. I use the Nock cards and they are fantastic.

I did not have much luck with Nock cards. They were ok for many pens, but bled when using wet writing nibs. This was when the Nock 3x5 cards were first introduced. Possibly they have changed.

Regards, greg

I didn't find mine at Dollar Tree or the Dollar Store and definitely not at Wal-Mart. However, they cost about as much as one would pay at those stores. I buy Roaring Spring Paper Products' 100% recycled 3X5 plain index cards. I buy them in boxes of 240 cards and I use to by five boxes at a time. I first used them for field study work and wrote on them with one of my Esterbrook mechanical pencils. Then, one time at home, I had to write a quick note and grabbed one of these index cards and used my fountain pen. Thus, I discovered by accident that they were very fountain pen friendly. I'm too old and stove-up to do any serious field studies these days, but I use these index cards for everything else and I use them with my fountain pens. That's "Roaring Spring Paper Products' 100% Recycled Index Cards" made by Roaring Spring Paper Products, Roaring Spring, PA 16673. I hope you can find them at a store near you because they are great and inexpensive.

-David (Estie).

These are about $2 for 250 totally blank, white cards and they are great. Of course, when I use up my current supply, I may find the quality of the stock has declined. These are not any better probably than those Sailor Kenshin or brgmarketing are buying, but I write on them all the time now with fountain pens without experiencing feathering, bleeding through, or that sudden effect when an extra fine nib touches a paper and suddenly produces a double-wide line.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I used to buy cards, but now I use my choice of paper and cut to size using a rotary paper cutter. Takes about 15 minutes to cut a couple hundred cards.

...be like the ocean...

Okay, I went and looked at the packages of the Japanese cards. They're actually made in Indonesia, for Daiso Japan.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I used to buy cards, but now I use my choice of paper and cut to size using a rotary paper cutter. Takes about 15 minutes to cut a couple hundred cards.

Do you use a jig of some kind? How do you keep the cuts straight so you get regularly shaped/ sized cards?

Also, what kind of paper/ card stock have you found to work well?

Best Regards, greg

Do you use a jig of some kind? How do you keep the cuts straight so you get regularly shaped/ sized cards?

Also, what kind of paper/ card stock have you found to work well?

Best Regards, greg

I do the same as cobalt, and I use a standard Fiskars rotary craft paper cutter that has graduated lines for alignment and measuring.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

Okay, I went and looked at the packages of the Japanese cards. They're actually made in Indonesia, for Daiso Japan.

I think I sent you those!

Haha I came here to recommend them. :P

I think I sent you those!

Haha I came here to recommend them. :P

You're right -- I think you sent them in the Secret Santa swap a couple of years ago.

(Admittedly, at the moment I don't use 3 x 5 cards much. :blush:)

They are the cards I use - the grid ones are great but the lined not so good (not terrible).

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png