Parker Vacumatic Demonstrator

halfhyde

I believe that this is a Vacumatic demonstrator.

A small slice of the barrel is cut away and about half the barrel is translucent.

On the barrel: Geo S. Parker Parker Vacumatic Made in USA and a date code of 0. which would be 3rd QTRpost-63951-0-45175800-1475522514_thumb.jpgpost-63951-0-72866300-1475522540_thumb.jpg 1940. There is no nib or cap

Comments please

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian-McQueen

• mitto

• FarmBoy

• halfhyde

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes Parker made these. They turn up with some regularity though they are not common by any means. I have seen them with caps and nibs.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Seems like all I've seen of these are Emerald. Mine has a black cap with no band but with a large round hole to display the seal between section and inner cap.

John

so many pens, so little time.......

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is just like yours, John, except that mine also has a black "Striped Duofold style" blind cap. I've been considering replacing it with an emerald green blind cap, but of course I'll keep the black blind cap around as well.

13861534664_4898bf0868_k.jpg

Is the oval shape hole in the cap found on the Demonstrators?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

And sometimes on non-deminstrator/regular pens?

I have a 3rd generation black debutante pen whose cap has this oval shape hole. The pen is in need of diaphragm replacement and restoration.

Khan M. Ilyas

And sometimes on non-deminstrator/regular pens?

I have a 3rd generation black debutante pen whose cap has this oval shape hole. The pen is in need of diaphragm replacement and restoration.

I'd be interested to see some pictures. I'm not familiar with any demonstrators that late or that small.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested to see some pictures. I'm not familiar with any demonstrators that late or that small.

Brian, here is the pen. It took me a while to locate the pen in the almost unmanagable piles of pens littered here and there.

Khan M. Ilyas

Mitto, unfortunately that looks like damage, not an intentional cut for a demonstrator.

Fortunately I am not convinced it is damage. Lol. Please have a look at the pen/cut once again.

Khan M. Ilyas

I'm sorry but it really looks like damage. Demonstrator holes are very large, completely circular, fully polished, and are intended to demonstrate the inner cap sealing against the section. The hole on your pen is too high, oval, and rough (though the roughness could just be an artifact of picture grain).

So what could have caused this demage?

Brian, this is a tiny pen. How big the hole could have been in such a small pen. And the hole is polished. The roughness is as you said an artifact of picture grain. Yet, as you said, it could be damage. But it doesnt look to be so. At least to me.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Heat can cause damage like that. It will start to fizzle from a central point and work its way outward. If you have ever caught celluloid on fire you will know what I mean.

I would have to look at the pen to tell you for certain. The demonstrator holes have a very specific look to them.

This auction, for instance, features a Duofold with burn damage to the barrel, that the seller has mistakenly identified as a Dmeonstrator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Duofold-Lapis-Sr-Demonstrator-/162262225844

Looks like the classic Cigarette Burn Syndrome.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

So it is a hole that probably was caused by intentionl and, thus, controlled burning in order for the pen to look like a demonstrator.

Thanks, Brian and FarmBoy.

Khan M. Ilyas