The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Edward Todd Fountain Pen Lever Repair

pen repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 J. Koehler

J. Koehler

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2016 - 18:44

Looking to buy Edward Todd gold filled pen and pencil set.  The lever on the fountain pen is frozen.  Have attempted to free up by soaking in water, but unsuccessful.  Any suggestions?   Can this be repaired?  Any suggestion for a resource for the repair, if necessary, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2016 - 19:13

Could it be a hardened sac underneath that's freezing the lever action?

#3 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:14

What helped me the most with this is my Greenlee cable flashlight - I think I got it from Hobby Lobby.  The tiny light bulb end at the end of its 14" flex cable can go to the very tip of the barrel - or even inside - and let you see if it's a hardened sac (time for the surgical clamp or long nose) or if the pressure bar is rusted to the inside of the barrel or against the business end of the lever (this is MUCH tougher, usually involving a dental tool).  

Key here is not to place too much pressure on the lever while you're poking around.

I have a couple of Mabie, Todds - and they are a joy once ready for action.

#4 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:56

Get that pen to a pro, and quick. Your soaking will likely have started the interior components rusting, and if the pen isn't promptly opened, fully disassembled, and properly dried and de-rusted, you'll have a serious mess on your hands.

Never soak the barrel of a lever-filler. In general, never soak anything until AFTER disassembly.

Pen Repair Don'ts article

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen repair

Sponsored Content

|