Bexley New Style Prometheus In Raspberry-Black Ebonite

bobje

Regarding nib-swapping, I just tried this on my new Prometheus last night. The nib unit does NOT screw out, but you CAN pull the nib and feed straight out and swap if you wish. Perhaps mine just needs some extra "encouragement" to screw out, but it may indeed be glued in there. I wasn't going to force it, lest I break something.

The nib is Jowo alright, but the feed is different from all other Jowo nib units I have. I have no clue what's going on. Perhaps the "Prometheus" is, aptly, a "Frankenpen."

I have three (3) of these Prometheus's in different colors. Each one of the nibs

screwed out as I replaced each of them with nibs from other pens. You are right,

it just may take a little coaxing but I sincerely doubt it is glued in.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobje

• zaddick

• Cryptos

• JemC

Top Posters In This Topic

I just pulled the nib out of mine and jammed another Jowo straight in there. It now sports a two-tone black oxide-chrome xxf nib. It's a bit pointeh!

EoC, really enjoyed your handwritten response from a week ago. Beautiful handwriting, and the ink looks like oku yama?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 1 month later...

Great review and superb handwriting! I have 18 Bexleys but had not seriously considered the Prometheus until I came across your review. I'm seriously considering one now! Thank you again for a truly informative review.

Cheers,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty hand writing!

Though I actually like the smell of the burning rubber :-)

Anyone have an idea where I could find this pen? Been looking and it seems to have become a Unicorn.

You could keep an eye on ebay or email Howard Levy directly.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Actually Bill P (on the site) saw this and let me know he had one so I am now covered. He also had an olive green and black Ebonite one, could not decide so I bought both 😇

Ask and ye shall (have the opportunity to pay to) recieve. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

So, after reading through this thread and ruminating a bit, I bought one of these pens from Howard on eBay. Like I needed another pen. I must say, this is a wonderful pen. It is good looking with fine fit and finish and it writes superbly. It is filled with Iroshizuki Yama-Guri at the moment and that is a great pen ink combo. You are enablers all!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

To the best of my knowledge, he's only selling pens on ebay that are not available via retail channels (prototype/ limited run rolors) and therefore not _really_ not competing with his retailers. However, I see how this could be argued. He's been selling pens this way for at least a year, so if he's headed for retirement, he's doing it pretty slowly.

FWIW, in the Fall of 2015 I "succumbed" to these ebay offerings over 20 times. :) I LOVE the Poseidon Grande II form factor, so I 'had to' have it in pretty much every color with a B nib. Sent about a dozen of them off for CI regrinds.

Best Regards, greg

I think it is a great idea for Howard to be selling, prototypes and limited editions to Bexley aficionados.

Retailer of contemporary productions can also see the advantage when people want the pen they saw or bought as a prototype or limited edition being offered now, in another color or other variations.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. It's a great idea. Of course I'd say that, the ebay offerings are considerably less than a retail pen, but if you missed out on an offering (like I did with the Poseidon Magnum II) and you're kicking yourself....a little patience on Ebay and you can have a beautiful version in a different material. This is also good for those of us who can't get to pen shows.