The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley New Style Prometheus In Raspberry-Black Ebonite

bexley ebonite prometheus midwest ohio pen review bobje

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Sagarb

Sagarb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:11

superb review Bob, thanks..

Sagar Bhowmick

Sponsored Content

#22 bone215

bone215

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:09

Congratulations, that is a good looking pen.

Very nice review and handwriting.

Thanks for posting the review.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

#23 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:08

Sagar, Bone, thank you.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#24 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:41

Vaibhav, Frank66, ALC, Vodnik, 
thank you for the observations.
Vaibhav, I wrote again with the pen last night to test the feel of the section. The threads are indeed in a portion of the section where they can be felt, but they're so rounded and well-machined that they almost feel more like a texture than threads.

Thank you for the update

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#25 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2016 - 19:50

Thanks for the review Bobje. The modern Bexley pens, especially off eBay, are a good value. I miss their older pens and more intricate work, but I am glad they are still in business.

When Howard first started selling these pens, he had a few in the old Tibaldi celluloid. I should have picked one up. The ebonite is also very nice and worth picking up of one wants to try and ebonite pen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#26 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2016 - 00:42

Thanks for the review.  Not sure this will be in the budget, but it's a very nice looking pen.  And I'm a sucker for ebonite.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#27 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,906 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2016 - 21:18

Zaddick,

a Prometheus in Tibaldi -- now that would have been a looker!

Ruth,

great to hear from you. I'm a sucker for ebonite, too.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#28 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 16:57

Darn it Bob - now I had to go and order one from Howard this morning! I picked up one in the rosso verde celluloid from Tibaldi. Darn your nice review making me want one. :D

#29 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,906 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:15

Zaddick, wow, I didn't realize the Prometheus was available in the Tibaldi rosso verde celluloid. I look forward to seeing your photos!

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

#30 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:34

No sure if he has any more, but I did obtain one made with Tibaldi's Impero celluloid.

#31 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:46

No sure if he has any more, but I did obtain one made with Tibaldi's Impero celluloid.

Yes, I saw that one. You beat me to it while I was hesitating. If you get tired of it let me know.

I just checked with Howard today and he does not have any more pens coming in the Impero celluloid. He mysteriously did say he had 9 inches of the material left. I am guessing he is saving it for repairs of some type. There is, apparently more of the Rosso Verde celluloid left but I am not sure how much. It was never as popular as the other Tibaldi celluloids. Maybe Howard had to buy extra to get the more popular stuff! :)

#32 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2016 - 19:56

This is what you hath wroght upon me Bob...

http://www.fountainp...-2#entry3717696

:D

#33 kjm

kjm

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 19:09

Does anyone know where I might purchase the pen?

#34 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:11

They are sold factory direct on ebay. You can search for bexley and find them. Howard usually lists a few new ones each day or so.

#35 Precise

Precise

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:16

I've grumbled on this forum that my weakness for bargains has me buying too many pens.  And Howard is my number one troublemaker.  He offers great value and quality, which I can't resist.

I've succumbed to his ebay seduction over half a dozen times now.  I always select an F nib.  They are excellent delivered, but with a little flattening (Italian style, see my other posts on this) they float effortlessly across the page.

With this stream of offerings directly from him, I've wondered if he's headed for retirement.  Why else would he undersell his retailers?

Regards,

Alan

#36 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 14:32

I've grumbled on this forum that my weakness for bargains has me buying too many pens.  And Howard is my number one troublemaker.  He offers great value and quality, which I can't resist.

I've succumbed to his ebay seduction over half a dozen times now.  I always select an F nib.  They are excellent delivered, but with a little flattening (Italian style, see my other posts on this) they float effortlessly across the page.

With this stream of offerings directly from him, I've wondered if he's headed for retirement.  Why else would he undersell his retailers?

Regards,

Alan

To the best of my knowledge, he's only selling pens on ebay that are not available via retail channels (prototype/ limited run rolors) and therefore not _really_ not competing with his retailers.  However, I see how this could be argued.  He's been selling pens this way for at least a year, so if he's headed for retirement, he's doing it pretty slowly.

FWIW, in the Fall of 2015 I "succumbed" to these ebay offerings over 20 times.  :)  I LOVE the Poseidon Grande II form factor, so I 'had to' have it in pretty much every color with a B nib.  Sent about a dozen of them off for CI regrinds.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#37 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2016 - 19:11

FWIW, in the Fall of 2015 I "succumbed" to these ebay offerings over 20 times.  :)  I LOVE the Poseidon Grande II form factor, so I 'had to' have it in pretty much every color with a B nib.  Sent about a dozen of them off for CI regrinds.

Best Regards, greg

I'll admit I succumbed to the same thing with Imperials and Poseidon Magnum IIs that he offered up on eBay.

#38 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2016 - 22:31

The Prometheus is an appealing pen, though I think it would look better with the larger #8 nib (though that would presumably make it significantly more expensive). The section threads fall where  I'd grip the pen - I'd rather they were adjacent to the section ring; however, since the threads are well rounded this wouldn't be a deal breaker.

The Bexley Brick Red and Tibaldi Rosso Verde celluloids are very similar but not quite identical (at least the samples in my collection aren't). Seen side by side the Brick Red has more brown in it, giving it an earthier and slightly more subdued look. My guess would be that they are separate batches of the same recipe which turned out slightly different from each other.

#39 MannyBA

MannyBA

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:07

Well as a new owner of a Bexley Prometheus in raspberry - black ebonite I agree 100% with Bob's review. (I fact I bought this pen based on his review)

The pen is beautiful, workmanship is first class and the nib is smooth as butter. 

This is my first Bexley but won't be my last.

Thaks for reviewing this pen Bobje

#40 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:00

forget the pen... bob, your penmanship is awesome, man!

nice pen, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bexley, ebonite, prometheus, midwest, ohio, pen review, bobje

Sponsored Content

|