Nib Full Of Ink

penman_M

Hi guys,

I don't know whats wrong with my fountain pen. It's an ef nemosine that writes perfectly fine and when I start writing a bit dry what I prefer. But with time the ink starts to overflow the nib. Especially in the part that is the feed and not vivid. When I I out the nib it is full of Ink. Here a picture what I looks like.

Please help, thx

post-131955-0-31713300-1475400550_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erik Dalton

• Pen Engineer

• penman_M

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have an air leak somewhere. Either there is a crack in the section, or your nib and feed are not seating properly in the section. (Not good to be taking them out often). The friction fit will over time be unable to provide a tight fit. And this sort of thing can happen.

I had a similar problem with a new TWISBI Echo. It just took reseating the nib and feed, to make it a great writer.

What are u using for ink? is it really a wet writer? I don't think the ink alone is the problem. But a wet ink will make thing worse.

Clean up your parts so you can get a good look. Use a loupe on the section for cracks..Get back to us with what you find.

By the way. We love photos..lol..good luck

I just re-read your post. What do you mean "when you start to write dry," this happens.

Does the pen normally write dry?

Hi old salt, thank you very much for your reply. I checked everything with a loupe, from the outside of the section there is no cracking to be seen, I will check the inside as well. The section actually fell down once from around one meter height :( grrr! Hope that itt didn't mess the pen up. What I mean is, that the ink starts overflowing after using the pen for, lets say, 10 minutes straight. Ijust took the nib and the feed out to see if the inside is wet and it I again, although i didnt use the pen for hours. Hmmm...dont know

Currently im writing with it and it writes like a dream come true just the way I want it to be. I pulled both, the nib and feed pretty far out of the section and I writes perfectly now, but still I wonder why the ink stores In between the nib and feed

It's all about keeping enough ink flow to keep up with your writing speed. Some pen sections have a small cavity to insure ink is available to the feed. Did you also check the barrel for cracks. Even a hairline crack is enough. If you have some silicone grease try putting a little on the section/barrel threads. (I'm just trying to cover all the bases here)

If all that checks out, it may just be a nib/feed fit issue. Maybe you jarred it when it fell. Try cleaning everything up, then replace the nib and feed into the section until you feel it seat firmly in place. Make sure that you have it positioned properly. Some pen sections have grooves meant to mate up with the bed and nib. Others are more rounded on the top half to accommodate the shape of the nib. The TWISBI Echo was absolutely smooth and perfectly round inside. All I did with that pen was remove the nib and feed then replace it in the section until it seated. That may be all it needs.

I'm giving all I got here..lol..hope it helps.

Pics would be good.

Wow, thanks old salt. You are a great help to a newbie like me. I exchanged the cartridge as I was low and surprise!!! With the new cartridge it works perfectly fine now, lol. I guess fountain pens are like life, best things come without human expecting it :) I remember I squeezed the previous cartridge from time to time while I adjusted the nib back then. It might be possible that I somehow managed to damage the cartridge. I have so many ups and downs with my nemosine, it "brings us closer" lol. Thx old salt again for your expert knowledge and greetings from vienna :)

Squeezing the cartridge could cause the cartridge to crack. So despite that being the instructions from some manufacturers, I do NOT recommend that.

I change the cartridge, then leave the pen nib down for about 15 minutes, to allow the ink to flow from the cartridge to the nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Now you've also learned that when a cartridge or converter is about to run dry, they often start writing a lot wetter than normal putting down a lot more ink.

You're doing alright. Going to fit in just fine here.

I find it pretty common for cartridge, and converter Pens. Not so much piston fillers. All pens are different however. As a general rule, I've found that if a pen starts putting out a lot of ink for no apparent reason, it's about to run dry.

How is your pen writing now? Is it any better?

I find it pretty common for cartridge, and converter Pens. Not so much piston fillers. All pens are different however. As a general rule, I've found that if a pen starts putting out a lot of ink for no apparent reason, it's about to run dry.

How is your pen writing now? Is it any better?

That's funny because I actually find the opposite is true for my pens. Once the nib starts getting a little dry I know I'm about out of ink. I usually get .5-1 page worth of writing once I notice.

Permit me, gentlemen... :P

Ink runs out excessively if too much air gets into the reservoir (cartridge, converter, tank, etc). Air, which is not intended to go in, like through a crack in the section or the reservoir or a leaking seal at the end of the feed or nozzle of the cartridge or converter. :huh:

Fountain pens with improper adjusted/designed feeds are unable to absorb the possible oversupply of in when the reservoir is close to empty. I can explain if you want. B)

Cartridges crack when they are made from cheap or too much recycled material. If a company uses PP (polypropylene) cracking could not happen, not even when you hit it flat with a hammer. :rolleyes:

5 - 7 pages of writing is about normal for one fill. :puddle:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

Cartridges are so expensive, I personally think that had something to do with the almost death of the fountain pen.

Both the Parker's large ball point ink cartridge, then and now like the cartridge was so expensive as a working man's kid I couldn't afford refills. It was possible to buy 10 ball point sticks for 10 cents. So wishing a live of one bottle of Coke, a big nickle Snickers or a pack of baseball cards once a week.....had to go over to cheap ball points...then came the Bic.

A needle syringe is imperative for refilling plastic cartridges to save both money and have more choice in ink colors.

I still find plastic cartridges overly expensive and flinch at the price.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Cartridges are so expensive, I personally think that had something to do with the almost death of the fountain pen.

Both the Parker's large ball point ink cartridge, then and now like the cartridge was so expensive as a working man's kid I couldn't afford refills. It was possible to buy 10 ball point sticks for 10 cents. So wishing a live of one bottle of Coke, a big nickle Snickers or a pack of baseball cards once a week.....had to go over to cheap ball points...then came the Bic.

A needle syringe is imperative for refilling plastic cartridges to save both money and have more choice in ink colors.

I still find plastic cartridges overly expensive and flinch at the price.

yep! I agree and do the same since times immemorial

Fountain pens with tanks and pistons, or bladders have more components, take longer to be assembled, hence, cost more to produce and reduce profit....are more prone to damage

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

Hi it writes better, but still starts overflowing a bit after longer use. So now i would like to check the section from the inside if there are cracks or if there is somewhere a hole that allows air to come in. My questions are:
​How can i check the inside of the section as it's difficult to look inside with the naked eye or loupe? And how could i close a possible crack at the inside?
​-Can i, for example, fill the section with water and check if the water runs out somewhere? Are there any household Things that could close a possible crack?
​Next question is, do you guys know if the section of the nemosine fission is compatible woth any other inner section? The problem is, that i would need to buy one online and it would take a lot of time and shipping costs to arrive :(
​Maybe there are more common fountain pens / sections that are available in store in vienna and compatible with the nemosine fission.
Thx and good night from Vienna :)

I hate to say this but it might be a good time to have a back up pen so that when one is down you are still able to carry on. That would allow you to continue investigating this one. Depending on the pen not all problems are fixable. I know you are determined to fix this pen, but if you can't, it's not you that failed, it's the pen. Not all pens lend themselves to owner upkeep and repairs.

You may find a fix, but if you don't, this pen has taught you a lot that you would never have thought of before this. There is no shame in moving on. Save the nib, feed and converter for parts.

If you do decide to buy another pen, try to chose one that is made to be taken apart and maintained or repaired. There are plenty of good cartridge/converter pens.

You might think of TWISBI as a good place to start. It will move you up to a piston filler for little money. They are made to be taken apart and owner maintained. You get a wrench, spare 'O' rings and a little bottle of silicone grease. Start off with an echo and work your way up to a 580 or vac 700. In a few years you'll be ready for your first Pelikan.

Ask around here. I'm sure others will have recommendations for you as well.

Keep at it. Let us know how things turn out.

Hi old salt,

a miracle seems to happen everytime you answer :D
​I read in this forum somewhere that Feeds can be diverging too. I recently bought a new EF nib from goulet pens with a beautiful looking feed and exchanged the original one from my nemosine with that from gouletpens...traraaa...miracle again haha. No starting Problems, no difference in line width during writing, well for now. Nemosine tought me to never say never :)
​But old salt, Keep on answering and next miracles will happen :)
​Thank you very much for your interest in my Topic and as you said, in case i will have to throw away this pen one day, i will Keep experience hehe
​I will Keep you informed about the progress and wish you all a nice day (9:42 morning in vienna)

Hmmmm...wish I could do a miracle or two for myself...lol..

Glad to be of help. Keep us posted on any new miracles.

You may have already seen this, but I found this review on the Goulet site. It was the only review so I wouldn't take as an absolute. But. it certainly makes one think.

"Great pen, especially for the price."

"I immediately liked the feel of this pen--it is a terrific value. Nib was very smooth right out of the box. My only criticism is that even the EF nib writes a bit wet. I got this for office use and it bleeds a bit on some paper despite being a EF. I have only used used a Diamine teal ink in it thus far. Overall, a very good pen."