Edc: Which Pens Do You Carry Around?

RubenDh

also a unidentified Waterman (blue marbled), F-nib, is inked with Diamine Monaco Red. I don´t look the look of the pen and it doesn´t write that great. It was a present by some journalists for my late father, for the work he did. But I have the feeling it is fake :(

Why do you have this feeeling? Blue marbled waterman... If it is all plastic but has some golden details and quite a big nib could be a Phileas.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongoosey

• inkstainedruth

• bemon

• chromantic

My EDC has stabilized to:

- a post war green binde Pelikan 100N with a 14k script BB-nib,
- a post war black binde fluted cap ring Pelikan 100N with a EF/EEF nib,

- a Kaweco V12 with a wubbly stubby 14k B-nib (this is the most recent addition, it replaced a Pelikan 400 Tortoise with a 14k F-nib).

I also have a desk pen, a black Pelikan 500NN with a later 14k chevron BB-nib in a Pelikan pen stand. It could be more crisp but otherwise... can't really complain. Might do something about that one of these days. ;)

I do not think I will be tinkering with this setup for a while, well, that is until I chance upon more 100N or 400/N/NN with 14k BB-nibs (or just the 14k BB-nibs).

I have:

- a red lamy safari inked with diamine poppy red for highlighting notes at work & uni (m)

- a black lamy safari with black quink (m)

- a twsbi eco inked with pure pens Celtic seas (f)

All in a slim cheapie hard plastic zip case from eBay which has room for a pencil, eraser & sharpener

Parker 75 Cisele in sterling silver with a French #94 medium stub nib and using Pilot Blue-Black ink.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I used a Pilot Custom 74-M for a while, but it was just a tad too long for an EDC. It didn't well in my shirt pocket.

I have a Pilot 91-SFM on the way, which I think will work well.

I'm considering a Platinum 3776-M for such as well.

I don't usually choose pens as every day carry, I like to rotate pens, so that I can use most of them,

so depending on the mood, I fill them up and put them in my rotation.

I exclude some at times, depending whether they may be slightly troublesome...or too expensive (although I do often carry even expensive pens with me)

it's only when I travel that I choose pens more for the scope, as when traveling some things like reliability, ink reservoir, type of nib, filling system, etc. may matter more.

I usually carry about 4 pens with me when heading to the office

two are usually in my jacket pocket, in a soft leather pen holder (a favourite is Fedon, but I also use cheap pouches which are meant for eye glasses at times), two are usually in a hard case in my back pack.

I use a hard case because a few times I've broken other things, like glasses (fortunately not pens), squashed by the rest of the stuff I fill the back pack with (like a portable PC and other tech items).

Today the hard case was holding a Delta LE in blue resin, and a Pelikan M250.

The soft pouch was holding a Ranga 3 in pinkblue ebonite, and a Visconti Opera blue swirl (in the photo below)

fpn_1549488584__p1140838-3_visconti_oper

Why do you have this feeeling? Blue marbled waterman... If it is all plastic but has some golden details and quite a big nib could be a Phileas.

I found out which model it exactly is: a Waterman Forum blue marbled fountainpen. I have both the ballpoint and the fountainpen.

I have my TWSBI Eco (EF) Clear filled with Poussiere de Lune with me everywhere I go, even when I don't think I'll need it. Usually it has a vest or pant pocket all by itself.

In my backpack I keep a Kokuyo Will Stationary Actic Pencil case with the following:

1. My Pilot Metro (Purple, F nib) and 3 Pilot Namiki black cartridges
  2. A Uni Alpha-Gel Kuru Toga pencil (0.5mm) with extra lead
  3. A Pentel High-Polymer Eraser
  4. A Uni Signo UM-151 (0.38mm) in lavendar-black
  5. A Uni Signo RT1 (0.38mm) in black

At my desk I also keep my Pilot 78G (B nib) handy, and a Uni Vision in Blue for Proof of Service signatures.

Because of school, I use almost every one of those daily, but the vast majority of the time I stick to the TWSBI.

Lótessë Eru tirilyë or vandalla,
Trevor

I only keep two or three pens inked at a time and I usually only carry one. No case, just the outside pocket of my shoulder bag.

I dont usually carry the vintage stuff if its delicate or hard to replace but I dont always stick to that rule.

Right now Im carrying a 1970s Pilot 3A inked with Sailor Jentle Blue-Black. When its empty Ill swap it out with something else.

Ooh good topic.

I carry 3 pens with me in a homemade 3-pen leather case (really a small suede pen roll). I just cannot, with my current collection not yet going over $50 per pen, justify a $30-$50 pen case. If my pen collection had more $300+ price point pens in it, I'd certainly invest - it just doesn't make much sense for me yet, especially when my current homemade things are working so well.

The actual pens vary from day to day, but usually consist of one of my Jinhaos, one of my TWSBI Ecos, and a Varsity in case people get grabby. (I find that it is VERY helpful to have a $3-ish pen to hand to people who are like "oh let met try one!!!" Those are the people I trust LEAST with a fountain pen, so I like to risk $3 instead of $30.)

There are times, however, when I will carry some other pen in the 3rd slot and just throw a Varsity in my regular pen case. I really enjoy my Cross Bailey, it writes SO smooth. But I don't always want to drag that around on public transit - theft is too much of a risk, plus I am forever dropping things...already dented a pen that way (thank goodness it was a Jinhao that was on its way out anyway).

But yeah. Usually a Jinhao with some fun ink, Eco for my long writing sessions (writer here!), and a Varsity for grabby people. That's the essentials for me. :)

-Taylor

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

I carry 3 pens with me in a homemade 3-pen leather case (really a small suede pen roll).

-Taylor

Would love to see pictures of your pen roll.

Like Taylor, I recently started carrying a pen case myself. It's a shiny black plastic clamshell (like an eyeglasses case) with a flocked, 3-slot tray that an ebay seller sent with a pen I bought. It currently holds my M400 blue, M405 grey and M205 Telecom (with Stipula Dark Blue, Fading Grey and Light Blue, respectively); this is in addition to the M300 with Musk Green and purple JIF with L'amant I'm carrying in my shirt pocket for the nonce. When I get to work, I switch out the M300 with one of the 3 in the case.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I like how I asked this question 2,5 years ago when I was still about to plunge in the sinkhole of Fountain Pens.

Oh how my EDC turned out to be! I sold the Parker Sonnet, traded my MB 146, traded my Opera Elements for a pen that I later sold...

I bought new pen cases, rolls, inks,..

Looking at this thread feels like talking to myself 2,5 years ago. I have since then gone to pen shows, pen meets,...

My current EDC looks like this:

One black Lamy 3 pen case with the 3 basic ink colours: a blueblack (Rohrer Und Klingner Salix) in my Stipula Etruria Alter Ego with fine 14k monotone nib.

A green ink (Robert Oster Moss) in my Stipula Etruria Ambrosia with a Franklin Christoph 1.9 mm Music nib.

And a third Stipula Etruria, the Ambre version, with a dark red ink limted edition to a shop in Rome (Stillo e stile).

And another pen case, actually the one from 2,5 years ago - the brown leather one with my last name engraved in it - with some functional pens: an OMAS Arco ballpoint, a Tibaldi Iride pencil and a limited edition Aurora Optima "mare" with a highlighter ink in it, broad nib.

I also never upgraded to a Burgundy Sailor pro gear and the m400 of 2 years ago I upgraded for an M800 actually. I'll be returning in another 2,5 years to check on how much I and my (view on) pens have changed again!

post-127504-0-04059300-1550268793_thumb.jpg

Edited by RubenDh

• 1 year later...

I carry a Parker Duofold Greenwich Parker Quinck Blue, Pelikan m620 Stockholm with Waterman Serenity Blue.

And I also carry a Parker Sonnet black lacquer Ballpoint and Rollerball.

When I'm going to work, I carry a two-pen case from Wancher containing a Lamy 2000 and Sailor multifunction pen. The Lamy 2000 is usually inked with Salix.

When I'm going elsewhere, I carry whatever takes my fancy out of whatever I currently have inked (usually quite a wide choice). Today it was a Purple Cosmos Sailor Pro Gear Slim inked with Krishna Pencil and a Deilke New Moon 2 in a spangly acrylic inked with KWZ Grey Lux – the latter mostly because I wanted to show it to a friend I was meeting.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

Lamy 2000 or Pilot Vanishing Point: I carry one or the other as a standard “meeting pen”. I like that they’re both highly reliable and neither attracts much attention. Whichever I’m using will have Sailor Shikiori Yonaga in it. The L2K is usually the steel version, but sometimes I ink up the Makrolon. PVP is either silver or blue. Both with rhodium trim.

Aside from one of the two staple pens mentioned above, I carry between 2 and 5 extras on a daily basis at work. For the last few weeks it’s been:

Edison Collier Blue Steel w 18k nib - Inked w Shikiori Yonaga

GVFC Classic Pernumbuco (sp?) - Inked with Iroshizuki Shin Kai

Pelikan M800 green strait - Inked with Iro Shin Kai

any of the above could be swapped out for anything else in my collection but I only usually use the two inks mentioned.

I have leather cases from Vanderspek ranging in size from two to four slots for my daily fountain pen carry.

The last pen that I always carry is just a support ballpoint. Comes in handy a few times a week. For the last 4 or 5 years that pen has been a black and gold Cross Century Classic for work, or a black Fisher Space Pen for casual carry. Both with a blue broad refill.

I just ordered a steel Lamy 2000 ballpoint to replace the Cross for work, but I’ll keep my beat up Fisher for my casual carry.

Since I carry the Cross (soon to be replace by the Lamy) in my pocket I keep it in a leather sleeve. Not so much to protect the pen, more to stop a steel pen from tearing a pocket liner or to catch the very occasion leak.

Since I don’t have to worry about leaks with the Fisher I just carry it unprotected. I like the scuffs and patina it’s developed, and I like that it’s been with me through travel to 5 countries and that I sighed my daughter’s baptism certificate with it.

if I can edit this post tomorrow I’ll try to come back and add pics.

Since summer of 2018 mostly

Pilot Décimo (black + silver trim) with F or Italic Fine nib -- J. Herbin Perle noire / Aurora Black

A combination that had never failed and has been proven practical, beautiful, and suitable in many situations.

At the moment, while traveling for a family thing this weekend, I have about eight. :blush: Prices are all over the map -- everything from a Parker Vector to a Pelikan M600 Violet and White to the sumgai two buck Forest Green Parker 51, to the Pilot Decimo. I didn't mean to bring QUITE so many along, but I didn't have time to flush one of them (the Dark Lilac Lamy Safari) out, so it just got refilled with distilled water and I'll see how (highly) diluted Noodler's Lexington Gray looks; and there was a bit too much diluted Noodler's El Lawrence in the ebonite Konrad to just dump. I did spend some time refilling pens and double-checking and making up sample vials of some of the inks. Used the Vector (filled with R&K Salix) Tuesday night at the hotel we stayed at. Used a Noodler's FPC with Heart of Darkness last night to sign a credit card receipt at dinner. Yesterday's MP entry was with the Decimo and Birmingham Pens Truss Blue [i had planned to put Iroshizuku Yama-budo in it, but I put the bottle down somewhere and couldn't find it; luckily I found both of the sample bottles of Truss Blue so I could pour them into a sample vial -- those little mini-bottles are neat looking, but not deep enough to fill a pen with such a long skinny nib as on the Decimo), and today's was with the Konrad and the diluted El Lawrence.... Later today? Who knows? Maybe the Cross Solo, currently inked up with Akkerman Dutch Masters Stormachtig Blauw? :rolleyes:

No, I'm NOT one of those people who could manage the one pen/one ink thing.... Not any more.... Too much fun otherwise. And yes, I have occasionally lost pens (fortunately, the M405 Stresemann got turned into Lost and Found at the campsite I was at... but it was complete panic for a couple of days; that pen doesn't go camping anymore.... And the Morrison gold-filled filigree overlay ringtop? It doesn't leave the HOUSE any more, because its annoying tendency to unscrew itself from the cap while on the lanyard.... :angry:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My current EDC is a Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 (inked with Monteverde Horizon Blue) and a Uni-Ball Jetstream. Once or twice a week, I’ll trade out the p20 for one of two Sheaffer 330 Quasi - Imperials. For shirt and tie meetings, the Jetstream gets replaced with a stainless Parker Jotter (Schmidt refill).

since I rotate them it depends on when the question is asked...

Today it's a Pelikan M200 again, this one is a new style M200 in green marbled EF nib

fpn_1582840429__p1180788-3_pelikan_m200_