The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edc: Which Pens Do You Carry Around?

edc pens pouch pouches ink everyday carry leather

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 chravagni

chravagni

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 21:06

also a unidentified Waterman (blue marbled), F-nib, is inked with Diamine Monaco Red. I don´t look the look of the pen and it doesn´t write that great. It was a present by some journalists for my late father, for the work he did. But I have the feeling it is fake :(

Why do you have this feeeling? Blue marbled waterman... If it is all plastic but has some golden details and quite a big nib could be a Phileas.

Sponsored Content

#82 mana

mana

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 21:18

My EDC has stabilized to:

- a post war green binde Pelikan 100N with a 14k script BB-nib,
- a post war black binde fluted cap ring Pelikan 100N with a EF/EEF nib,

- a Kaweco V12 with a wubbly stubby 14k B-nib (this is the most recent addition, it replaced a Pelikan 400 Tortoise with a 14k F-nib).

I also have a desk pen, a black Pelikan 500NN with a later 14k chevron BB-nib in a Pelikan pen stand. It could be more crisp but otherwise... can't really complain. Might do something about that one of these days. ;)

I do not think I will be tinkering with this setup for a while, well, that is until I chance upon more 100N or 400/N/NN with 14k BB-nibs (or just the 14k BB-nibs).

Adopt, Don't Shop! Support Your Local Animal Shelters! - Let's make this world a better place together! Because... now is the only thing that is real...

"Indifference towards people and the reality in which they live is actually the one and only cardinal sin in design." - Dieter Rams

EDC: Post WWII green binde Pelikan 100N CI 14K B, post WWII black binde 100N 14K EEF, 400 Tortoise CI 14K BB. INKED: early 70s LAMY 2000 MK, Parker 51 Aerometric F & M, rOtring Art Pen 1.1 & 1.5 mm CI & Woodshed Pen Co. Red swirl 1.1 mm CI etc. Inks: Pelikan 4001 BB & Turquoise, vintage Parker Quink & Lamy Turquoise. Also, my own mixes. Desk pen: Black Pelikan 500NN with a 14K M-nib in a bakelite Pelikan pen holder.

#83 Lamyliz

Lamyliz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 21:45

I have:
- a red lamy safari inked with diamine poppy red for highlighting notes at work & uni (m)
- a black lamy safari with black quink (m)
- a twsbi eco inked with pure pens Celtic seas (f)

All in a slim cheapie hard plastic zip case from eBay which has room for a pencil, eraser & sharpener

#84 DavidCampen

DavidCampen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 22:10

Parker 75 Cisele in sterling silver with a French #94 medium stub nib and using Pilot Blue-Black ink.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

#85 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 17:36

I used a Pilot Custom 74-M for a while, but it was just a tad too long for an EDC.  It didn't well in my shirt pocket.

I have a Pilot 91-SFM on the way, which I think will work well.

I'm considering a Platinum 3776-M for such as well.

#86 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2019 - 21:31

I don't usually choose pens as every day carry, I like to rotate pens, so that I can use most of them,

so depending on the mood, I fill them up and put them in my rotation.

I exclude some at times, depending whether they may be slightly troublesome...or too expensive (although I do often carry even expensive pens with me)

it's only when I travel that I choose pens more for the scope, as when traveling some things like reliability, ink reservoir, type of nib, filling system, etc. may matter more.

I usually carry about 4 pens with me when heading to the office

two are usually in my jacket pocket, in a soft leather pen holder (a favourite is Fedon, but I also use cheap pouches which are meant for eye glasses at times), two are usually in a hard case in my back pack.

I use a hard case because a few times I've broken other things, like glasses (fortunately not pens), squashed by the rest of the stuff I fill the back pack with (like a portable PC and other tech items).

Today the hard case was holding a Delta LE in blue resin, and a Pelikan M250.

The soft pouch was holding a Ranga 3 in pinkblue ebonite, and a Visconti Opera blue swirl (in the photo below)

fpn_1549488584__p1140838-3_visconti_oper

#87 InkedSophie

InkedSophie

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:33

Why do you have this feeeling? Blue marbled waterman... If it is all plastic but has some golden details and quite a big nib could be a Phileas.

I found out which model it exactly is: a Waterman Forum blue marbled fountainpen. I have both the ballpoint and the fountainpen.

#88 LordBaggins

LordBaggins

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 00:32

I have my TWSBI Eco (EF) Clear filled with Poussiere de Lune with me everywhere I go, even when I don't think I'll need it.  Usually it has a vest or pant pocket all by itself.

In my backpack I keep a Kokuyo Will Stationary Actic Pencil case with the following:

1. My Pilot Metro (Purple, F nib) and 3 Pilot Namiki black cartridges
  2. A Uni Alpha-Gel Kuru Toga pencil (0.5mm) with extra lead
  3. A Pentel High-Polymer Eraser
  4. A Uni Signo UM-151 (0.38mm) in lavendar-black
  5. A Uni Signo RT1 (0.38mm) in black

At my desk I also keep my Pilot 78G (B nib) handy, and a Uni Vision in Blue for Proof of Service signatures.

Because of school, I use almost every one of those daily, but the vast majority of the time I stick to the TWSBI.

Lótessë Eru tirilyë or vandalla,
Trevor

#89 Pentode

Pentode

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:31

I only keep two or three pens inked at a time and I usually only carry one. No case, just the outside pocket of my shoulder bag.

I dont usually carry the vintage stuff if its delicate or hard to replace but I dont always stick to that rule.

Right now Im carrying a 1970s Pilot 3A inked with Sailor Jentle Blue-Black. When its empty Ill swap it out with something else.

#90 TaylorJ

TaylorJ

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 14:51

Ooh good topic.

I carry 3 pens with me in a homemade 3-pen leather case (really a small suede pen roll). I just cannot, with my current collection not yet going over $50 per pen, justify a $30-$50 pen case. If my pen collection had more $300+ price point pens in it, I'd certainly invest - it just doesn't make much sense for me yet, especially when my current homemade things are working so well. 

The actual pens vary from day to day, but usually consist of one of my Jinhaos, one of my TWSBI Ecos, and a Varsity in case people get grabby. (I find that it is VERY helpful to have a $3-ish pen to hand to people who are like "oh let met try one!!!" Those are the people I trust LEAST with a fountain pen, so I like to risk $3 instead of $30.)

There are times, however, when I will carry some other pen in the 3rd slot and just throw a Varsity in my regular pen case. I really enjoy my Cross Bailey, it writes SO smooth. But I don't always want to drag that around on public transit - theft is too much of a risk, plus I am forever dropping things...already dented a pen that way (thank goodness it was a Jinhao that was on its way out anyway).

But yeah. Usually a Jinhao with some fun ink, Eco for my long writing sessions (writer here!), and a Varsity for grabby people. That's the essentials for me. :)

-Taylor

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

#91 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2019 - 14:25

I carry 3 pens with me in a homemade 3-pen leather case (really a small suede pen roll). 

-Taylor

Would love to see pictures of your pen roll.

Like Taylor, I recently started carrying a pen case myself. It's a shiny black plastic clamshell (like an eyeglasses case) with a flocked, 3-slot tray that an ebay seller sent with a pen I bought. It currently holds my M400 blue, M405 grey and M205 Telecom (with Stipula Dark Blue, Fading Grey and Light Blue, respectively); this is in addition to the M300 with Musk Green and purple JIF with L'amant I'm carrying in my shirt pocket for the nonce. When I get to work, I switch out the M300 with one of the 3 in the case.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#92 RubenDh

RubenDh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2019 - 22:11

I like how I asked this question 2,5 years ago when I was still about to plunge in the sinkhole of Fountain Pens.

Oh how my EDC turned out to be! I sold the Parker Sonnet, traded my MB 146, traded my Opera Elements for a pen that I later sold...
I bought new pen cases, rolls, inks,..

Looking at this thread feels like talking to myself 2,5 years ago. I have since then gone to pen shows, pen meets,...

My current EDC looks like this:
One black Lamy 3 pen case with the 3 basic ink colours: a blueblack (Rohrer Und Klingner Salix) in my Stipula Etruria Alter Ego with fine 14k monotone nib.
A green ink (Robert Oster Moss) in my Stipula Etruria Ambrosia with a Franklin Christoph 1.9 mm Music nib.
And a third Stipula Etruria, the Ambre version, with a dark red ink limted edition to a shop in Rome (Stillo e stile).

And another pen case, actually the one from 2,5 years ago - the brown leather one with my last name engraved in it - with some functional pens: an OMAS Arco ballpoint, a Tibaldi Iride pencil and a limited edition Aurora Optima "mare" with a highlighter ink in it, broad nib.

I also never upgraded to a Burgundy Sailor pro gear and the m400 of 2 years ago I upgraded for an M800 actually. I'll be returning in another 2,5 years to check on how much I and my (view on) pens have changed again!

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20190215-231235__01.jpg

Edited by RubenDh, 15 February 2019 - 22:22.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edc, pens, pouch, pouches, ink, everyday, carry, leather

Sponsored Content

|